Non-Macca CD of the Moment

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Non-Macca CD of the Moment

Postby james1985 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:42 pm

EddieV wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:Together Through Life - Bob Dylan

I don't have a semi-concrete opinion on this yet.
So far, it sounds good.
t

I think it is boring,grandpa-rock.

Ed, you can't be a Paul McCartney fan and accuse someone else of being grandpa-rock!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm

james1985 wrote:Ed, you can't be a Paul McCartney fan and accuse someone else of being grandpa-rock!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri May 08, 2009 6:50 pm

james1985 wrote:
EddieV wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:Together Through Life - Bob Dylan

I don't have a semi-concrete opinion on this yet.
So far, it sounds good.
t

I think it is boring,grandpa-rock.

Ed, you can't be a Paul McCartney fan and accuse someone else of being grandpa-rock!

It was my first impression. To much of the same. I give it a try again. I really think he sounds old on this album.

Paul hasn´t done that for me yet
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 pm

EddieV wrote:It was my first impression. To much of the same. I give it a try again. I really think he sounds old on this album.

Paul hasn´t done that for me yet

Well, yeah, you buy a late-period Dylan album and half the tracks are blues, fair enough. But "Shake Shake Mama" - what a blues! There's some fantastic, deep production on that track. "I Feel A Change Coming On" is great, and "Life Is Hard" has a really interesting un-Dylan jumpy melody.

I don't think his voice has got any worse since Modern Times. It's nice when you can hear their age. Like Macca on "You Tell Me" off MAF - the lyrics make sense because you can hear all the summers he sings about in his voice.

I'd agree that the new album doesn't command one's attention all the way through like Modern Times or Time Out Of Mind does.

But the accordion's a nice touch
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 pm

i thought i read i review of this dylan album that suggested he left the lyrics to someone else. can that be true?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 pm

rediscovered green day's american idiot recently. a truly inspiring punk (?) opera. even if your politics are not...left of center, it is an amazing record.

and just found out their new album, 21st century breakdown is to be released shortly. i figured, the last thing they would do to follow up a band's masterpiece would be to try and make another punk opera. well, we will see how that works out.

i cannot believe i am saying that i can't wait to hear the new green day record. don't think i have ever uttered those words before.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu May 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Ditto on the Green Day.

As far as Dylan- Together Through Life is the weakest record since Under the Red Sky-- lyrically there are only 3-4 strong songs, the rest sound pretty phoned in. I see this as Dylan's Off the Ground. We fans find plenty to appreciate, but really there's not a lot there for everyone else.

This is why I am looking forward to Dylan/McCartney- even if Paul shaped these songs musically a LITTLE and then performed them, he would add a lot.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 pm

does antbody know if Dylan smokes ? his voice sounds like s**t , no wonder he wants to write with Macca so Paul can make him look better :lol: this cd blows and I don't mean wind
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:05 pm

chris wrote:rediscovered green day's american idiot recently. a truly inspiring punk (?) opera. even if your politics are not...left of center, it is an amazing record.

and just found out their new album, 21st century breakdown is to be released shortly. i figured, the last thing they would do to follow up a band's masterpiece would be to try and make another punk opera. well, we will see how that works out.

i cannot believe i am saying that i can't wait to hear the new green day record. don't think i have ever uttered those words before.

I really can't take them seriously. Is the message anything more than "***censored*** Bush"?
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm

james1985 wrote:I really can't take them seriously. Is the message anything more than "***censored*** Bush"?

there IS a lot of that, yeah. but thats not ALL it is. it's typical punk content. teen angst. parents don't care. even if the lyrics were gibberish, they do make up some amazing pop-punk songs. very catchy. very hook filled. i went from being relatively indifferent about them, to waiting in line for the new cd.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists