It could be, it might be, it is!!!!

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Re: It could be, it might be, it is!!!!

Postby chris » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:10 am

well, sir...

baseball is a funny sport. while many fans may like to put blinders on and say their team is best...truth is, every year, only one team can be called champ. and, as a lifelong cub fan, i say there is nothing lovable about losing. every spring i sweat optimism that this will finally be the year. and we both know how that turned out. but i am beyond rooting for another team. my dad took me to wrigley at a youngster...and i've been hooked ever since. as far as baseball goes...i guess i am just stuck with my team. but it is infinately more frustrating than thrilling.

but few other teams are perfect, right? the braves (whom i admire) won, what? 10 consecutive (i think, maybe more) division titles? but only one series? that...appears to just as frustrating as not going to the playoffs for 100 consecutive years. and their fans seemed to feel it was a right of passage going to the playoffs. ignoring the first round of playoff series, because it didn't get serious till the world series. that...is arrogance, no?

who is it you hear from about those lovable losers? fans? underdogs are favored, you know that? right? who could possibly be more of an underdog than the cubs? those pathetic...underperforming...let you down in the end, cubs?

and dusty has won manager of the year more than once, right? but i agree, he's still a veteran loving stiff.

anyway, don't be a hater, bro. it's all good. if you are reds fan...sorry, they should blow this year. but the braves may stand a shot in a good division. the cubs, they are expected to win a weak division again, with only milwaukee expected to challenge. but after two years of making the playoffs without a victory to show for it...you won't be hearing from me till we make it to the world series. i look forward to being silent for the next few years.

be good.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:56 pm

First of all I'm blowing smoke about the Cubs. if you live near the Windy City, watch WGN, or listen to national coverage of baseball the cubs are always addressed with love and occasionally a little ridicule. I don't hate anybody. I've never been a Cubs fan and i think a cerrtain former manager destroyed what could have been a fine pitching staff. Then bartman incident....like that caused them to lose. Ridiculous....most fans would have tried to catch that ball and these "awesome fans..you know the best in baseball" almost ruined this young man's life. Alou states years later that it had no affect on the outcome..the same player who was screaming at him during the game. I'm a Braves fan, always has been and always will be. they aren't good right now and play in a division far tougher than the Cubs' division. i root whether they are good or bad. That's what a true fan does. Lots of "Cubs fans" really don't care about the outcome..the game is a party at Wrigley. That's ok but I prefer to be a true fan of the game. That said.."peace out!"
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 pm

i will grant you one thing...here in chi-town, there are maybe 5 cub fans for every 1 white sox fans. and i have seen sox fans get assaulted by cub fans, for nothing more than being outnumbered. so, my tribe can be overwhelming, i suppose. personally, i have always wondered why i should be obnoxious about my team. when my team has done nothing, really, for me to be excited about.

but, if you've ever been there...it really is a party atmosphere at wrigley. baseball, beer and boobies...not the worst way to spend a summer afternoon.

you are right...bartman was crucified for doing what nearly every other person would have done. the cubs didn't lose because of him(2003)...we lost because the better team won.

and dusty baker (did you say you like cincy? or live near it?) may occasionally make a move that doesn't suck...but usually he can be relied on to make you scratch your head.

whatever...it's all good. good luck to the braves this year. the phillies and the mets could be tough, tho.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:08 am

wow..i was kinda with bravefan...
up until that 'true fan of the game' bit...

i've been a braves fan since '67..sat in the seats and watched chief knokahoma dance the do many a time...
hated to hear that terrible ted was buying the team (knew him: met him; disliked him), then praised him for finally making a contenda of that ragged team...

my kids both went (and graduated from) k.u.: perrenial underdogs in the eyes of everyone but k.u. fans

we, all of us, are with the losing team if they don't take a pennant/championship/super bowl or that last lap around daytona...

which is not, in any way to say, or question, that a fan, by any other city, by any other team, is not a true fan of the game....i just have my preferences
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:14 pm

RIP Harry Kalas ^:)^ THIS BALLS OUTTA HERE !!!!
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:02 pm

The most difficult trophy to win in professional sports is going on right now. Forget baseball....it's THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS people!! :ymparty: ^:)^ \:d/ :-BD :lol:

And Chicago just one their first playoff game in like...err...forever!!! :ymapplause: :salute
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 pm

2 of 3 wrote: Forget baseball....it's THE STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS people!!

i think i was forced to wear a stanley cup, for protection...when i played little league. what is that? hockey? :YMHUG:

i'm STILL not sure that is a recognized, sanctioned sport in this vast land of ours. :razz:

always thought of it more as a rumor :wink:
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Sports & Recreation