A day in the life

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Re: A day in the life

Postby Mark Rink » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:36 pm

little lamb dragonfly wrote:So really.... no one knows the answer to the question posed at the top of this thread? Someone must know!
Maybe , Mike can shed some light on this matter ?
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jjs » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Are you talking about the orchestral climax or the part where you hear the aaaaahhhhh....?

The orchestral climax was first suggested by Paul. The idea was then further developed by Paul, with John and George Martin. Paul wanted a full orchestra, but had to settle for 1/2 an orchestra due to the cost. This info can be found in George Martin's "All You Need Is Ears"

The the "aaaaaah" melody (which is what I think you're asking about) and the "I'd love to turn you on" part were from unfinished song fragments that Paul had lying around. They were integrated into the song by John and Paul. I don't remember the exact magazine source for this, but my recollection is that it's from the same interview quoted in wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Day_in_the_Life

McCartney provided the middle section of the song, a short piano piece he had been working on independently, with lyrics about a commuter whose uneventful morning routine leads him to drift off into a reverie. He had written the piece as a wistful recollection of his younger years, which included riding the bus to school, smoking and going to class. The line "I'd love to turn you on", which concludes both verse sections, was, according to Lennon, also contributed by McCartney; Lennon said "I had the bulk of the song and the words, but he contributed this little lick floating around in his head that he couldn't use for anything."

JJS
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 am

jjs wrote:Are you talking about the orchestral climax or the part where you hear the aaaaahhhhh....?

The orchestral climax was first suggested by Paul. The idea was then further developed by Paul, with John and George Martin. Paul wanted a full orchestra, but had to settle for 1/2 an orchestra due to the cost. This info can be found in George Martin's "All You Need Is Ears"

The the "aaaaaah" melody (which is what I think you're asking about) and the "I'd love to turn you on" part were from unfinished song fragments that Paul had lying around. They were integrated into the song by John and Paul. I don't remember the exact magazine source for this, but my recollection is that it's from the same interview quoted in wikipedia:

McCartney provided the middle section of the song, a short piano piece he had been working on independently, with lyrics about a commuter whose uneventful morning routine leads him to drift off into a reverie. He had written the piece as a wistful recollection of his younger years, which included riding the bus to school, smoking and going to class. The line "I'd love to turn you on", which concludes both verse sections, was, according to Lennon, also contributed by McCartney; Lennon said "I had the bulk of the song and the words, but he contributed this little lick floating around in his head that he couldn't use for anything."

JJS

But this doesn't explain the "ahh" melody, as you call it. It only deals with Paul's "song" contribution (the "woke up, fell out of bed" part). If you can find the source, that would be awesome and would solve one of the great mysteries that I haven't been able to answer...
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm

little lamb dragonfly wrote:
jjs wrote:Are you talking about the orchestral climax or the part where you hear the aaaaahhhhh....?

JJS

But this doesn't explain the "ahh" melody, as you call it. It only deals with Paul's "song" contribution (the "woke up, fell out of bed" part). If you can find the source, that would be awesome and would solve one of the great mysteries that I haven't been able to answer...

No, it also also talks about the "I'd love to turn you on..." part at the end of each verse:

The line "I'd love to turn you on", which concludes both verse sections, was, according to Lennon, also contributed by McCartney; Lennon said "I had the bulk of the song and the words, but he contributed this little lick floating around in his head that he couldn't use for anything."

Not a lot is mentioned about the "ahhh" part in interviews because it is not lyrical, or as conspicuous as the orchestral climax... but I recall reading that this part was also contributed by Paul as part of the "I'd love to turn you on" lick. Unfortunately there's no way I'd be able to find the exact source (I have more than a few dozen books, and literally hundreds of magazine interviews that I've accumulated over the last 30 years.) But we know that while the song was originated (and somewhat completed in it's basic form) by John, and that Paul contributed more to the finished song than just the middle part with which he's most commonly identified.

Does anyone have the book "All You Need Is Ears" handy (mine's in storage)? It might mention something in there... Or possibly "Many Years From Now"?

In any event if I come across anything I'll post it.

JJS
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 pm

cool, thanks man. My only point was that the "I'd love to turn you on" line is separate musically from the "ahhh" and therefore, Paul's contribution to the one doesn't guarantee his contribution to the other.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to Paul as a Beatle