Catcher In The Rhye

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Catcher In The Rhye

Postby DeRick » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Has anyone ever read it? For a long time i avoided it because of ....well..you know. But i borrowed the audio tape. that book really speaks to me. In a way i am Holden, but here's the thing...HOLDEN CAULFIELD NEVER KILLED ANYONE! I just related to the whole story. Holden wasn't mad at anyone, set out to kill, or let alone harm anyone, yeah, he had a temper, but no more than others. I kinda find that same theme in The Who's second rock opera "Quadrophenia"
That book was totally ahead of it's time. and here's something else i don't understand: HOWCOME A MOVIE WASN''T MADE FROM THE BOOK?
I just had to share this with yall
DeRick

Re: Catcher In The Rhye

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:30 pm

i read it. strange book. i wasnt really impressed
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:55 am

One of my favourite books. For me, he's likeable, but the fact that he's full of contradictions makes him such a fascinating character. But I think, essentially, Holden's a good person - see his relationship with his sister.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:45 am

After I heard that the IDIOT reading this book I went to the store and purchased the book.It bored me to death ,I could'nt relate to anything so I never finished it just put in shelves and never looked at it since.Sorry don't get it :-??
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby DeRick » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:52 am

I just found out that Lee Harvey Oswald was reading this book on the day he asassinated JFK.
What is it with this book and assassins? I just don't understand. Chapman, Hinkley & Oswald, i wonder if James Earl Ray or Sirhan read this too.
Why did this book test so well with psycho assassins?
DeRick

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 am

I love this book. I use to read it every year around Christmas time. The visual imagery in this book is untouched by any other. I can almost smell Rockerfeller Center. I know its not a Christmas-y book, but for some strange reason it makes me think of Christmas.

I think a lot of young people can relate to Holden, just as a lot of young people can relate to Vonnegut's works. When you grow up, you begin to see the contradiction that is Holden. He was a man that hated phonies, but in many ways was one himself. He was his own worse enemy.

As for the psycho assasins, I just don't think they got the point. Holden was only truly himself when it came to his sister. He had a deep love for family, and secretly just wanted to be at peace. He was tired of all the stupid teenage angst stuff. Even though he himself was full of angst.
I think I'm just babbling now....

But yeah, love this book.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jurjen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 am

one of my fves as well
Jurjen
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:55 pm

bonovox66 wrote:I love this book. I use to read it every year around Christmas time. The visual imagery in this book is untouched by any other. I can almost smell Rockerfeller Center. I know its not a Christmas-y book, but for some strange reason it makes me think of Christmas.

I think a lot of young people can relate to Holden, just as a lot of young people can relate to Vonnegut's works. When you grow up, you begin to see the contradiction that is Holden. He was a man that hated phonies, but in many ways was one himself. He was his own worse enemy.

As for the psycho assasins, I just don't think they got the point. Holden was only truly himself when it came to his sister. He had a deep love for family, and secretly just wanted to be at peace. He was tired of all the stupid teenage angst stuff. Even though he himself was full of angst.
I think I'm just babbling now....

But yeah, love this book.

you're completely right! Maybe people of a disturbed mind looked to the book for answers and don't find them because essentially Holden is a decent guy who loves his family. There's too much tenderness and love towards his family to satisfy the man who looks to the book for justification for his terrible actions.

Salinger is basically saying that teenagers can be obnoxious little brats, but it doesn't really matter because that's all they are - teenagers. And if you can't be an obnoxious brat as a teenager - and learn from it - what can you do?

Don't let lowlifes like Mark David Chapman ruin a fantastic novel
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DeRick » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:13 am

I don't. In fact I'm a Christian, and i read the Bible. Lots of extremists use the Bible for thier violent ends. That don't make them right. If you're homocidal enough, you'll use anything as an excuse.
DeRick

Postby bonovox66 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:18 am

Well said DeRick... Well said. ^:)^
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Books, magazines, etc.