Most Important Song/ Album

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Most Important Song/ Album

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:13 am

I'm not a fan of his, but Michael Jackson's "Thriller" changed the music industry. It had something like 7 top 10 singles, so I think the record companies realized they could save the cost of an artist recording an album a year and instead bleed an album dry of singles for 3 or 4 years. It was a cultural force, coming on the heels of MTV and dominating the airwaves. I wasn't too happy about much of it, but good product or no, it changed the way music was delivered. I think that mentality killed a lot of bands, too. Instead of pumping out new product, which kept the original release fresh, the companies took successful albums and wrung them for all they could, basically oversaturating it to the point that no one wanted to hear the follow-up.
ahawk66

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:16 am

I always thought that "The Plastic Ono Band-Live Peace In Toronto" was preaty big.Just think Lennon put a band together jumped on a flight,practiced on the plane landed and kicked some ass on stage.I always thought that he was telling the others the door has slammed in you your face I'm outta here.Very ballsie John was. ^:)^
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:26 am

I didn't mean Imagine the album, I was talking about just the song. It was important in many ways. It was saying, hey let's get over this flower power thing and move on. In some interviews it has been said that this song would eventually cause Chapman to kill him. Even Stevie Wonder said after that song he knew someone was going to kill John because they would think he was an athiest.

"Thriller" is an excellent choice.
And even though I don't like Nirvana, I would agree with its importance.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Music - Other Artists