"Double Fantesy/Milk & Honey" disturbing.

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

"Double Fantesy/Milk & Honey" disturbing.

Postby DeRick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:54 am

I like the songs from those albums, it's his most optimistic, happy, "Double Fantesy" and "Milk & Honey, would honestly be my favorite Lennon albums. But no matter how much they're my favorites, at the same time, i'm finding it more & more disturbing. And it just gets harder & harder to listen to any songs from those albums. It's been like this in recent years. I like his 70's stuff like "Walls & Bridges", which is my fav Lennon after DF/M&H.
Am i crazy for that? Why can't i just enjoy the albums....it's because i just can't get over what happens next. I guess i'm just weak.
It seems to a little easier with George's "Brainwashed", there's some songs on there where you just know he was expecting his "end". The end of the title track (and even the album) kinda sums it up. But with John, that's a whole other story.
DeRick

Re: "Double Fantesy/Milk & Honey" disturbing.

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:16 am

Interesting. never thought of it like that. I guess with how optimistic Double Fantasy was and the stuff he had recored that went on to become Milk and Honey, it is kinda eerie. I remember an interview after his death with a close friend and he was talking about how optimistic John was about the future. He was really looking forward to a new start in the 80's.
On another note, I've always thought Walls and Bridges was his best post Beatles work.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 am

On the other hand, it's a great way to end his life and career. The majority of the songs are upbeat and positive, and I think that's the way we all wanna think of John. I would be more disturbed if his last album was Walls & Bridges (Which is my favorite too)! It's a great record, but he had his demons which could be found in Nobody Loves You, Scared & Steel And Glass. At least he exorcised some of those demons, and he left this world on a much happier note.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am

RickStark79 wrote:On the other hand, it's a great way to end his life and career. The majority of the songs are upbeat and positive, and I think that's the way we all wanna think of John. I would be more disturbed if his last album was Walls & Bridges (Which is my favorite too)! It's a great record, but he had his demons which could be found in Nobody Loves You, Scared & Steel And Glass. At least he exorcised some of those demons, and he left this world on a much happier note.

Escellent point :salute
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:12 am

Double Fante asy is very optimistic, it was a new start for John. I think he was ready to give us some great records and live performances and then..we all know that.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:15 pm

"Double Fantasy/Milk & Honey" or the 1980 John Lennon material is my fave solo stuff that he did, along with maybe "Imagine" ("Plastic Ono Band" wouldn't be far behind & while I love "Walls & Bridges" and "Mind Games" they would be a half-step behind that too). I think the material works as both John & Yoko Heartplay dialogue albums, and also as a stand alone collection of John songs when you combine those album tracks together. I understand feeling odd about the context of knowing he was dieing soon, but I guess I've gotten beyond that & am just happy about how happy he was. Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Mark Rink » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:43 pm

I was excited in 1980 when I first heard that Lennon was coming out with a "new" album.I don't like any of the sh*t that Yoko did but loved all the Lennon material.I didd'nt buy "Milk and Honey" when it first came out,I don't remember why.Just bought it over a year ago.To tell you the truth I really forgot it was out there,until I discovered Macca-Radio.I like M&H alot better then DF.I agree 'Walls and Bridges" buy far is Lennon's best solo work.

%%-
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:35 pm

when it's John's birthday, or the anniversary of his death, I always play these albums. they're full of so much joy. it's just great to hear that, when he died, he was okay, happy. watching the wheels can always make me well up, no problem
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 pm

i will agree with the overall sentiment here. it is indeed a positive album (DF, that is...) and you cannot relate the tragic events that closely followed with the fact that john was in a good place when he recorded this music. regardless of what type of life the musician lived (or how sadly it ended) you are just left with the music. and that...is a celebration. enjoy it.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN