BBC 'pulls Paul McCartney's Michael Jackson impersonation'

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

BBC 'pulls Paul McCartney's Michael Jackson impersonation'

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:07 pm

What a crock of crap.
He did the same thing on Oprah a decade ago.

BBC needs to chill a bit. ~X(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ation.html

Sir Paul is said to have talked in a high-pitched Jackson-style voice when asked about the singer, which BBC managers decided could prove offensive.

A Corporation source told the Daily Mail: "McCartney started to reply in this high-pitched Jacko voice, and apparently it was very funny. But the BBC - deeply nervous, perhaps because of the Jonathan Ross-Russell Brand affair - has declined to broadcast the interview."

Explaining the reasoning as to why the impression could possibly be deemed offensive or unsuitable for broadcast, the source continued: "They say it's a 'trans-racial impression' - that's what they say in a memo - and even by Macca that is beyond the pale."

Sir Paul and Jackson used to be friends, but fell out when Jackson outbid the Liverpudlian for the rights to most of the Beatles' back catalogue. Jackson bought the rights for £33 million ($48m).

The purchase soured their friendship.

Sir Paul later said: "You know what doesn't feel very good, is going on tour and paying to sing all my songs. Every time I sing Hey Jude, I've got to pay someone."
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Re: BBC 'pulls Paul McCartney's Michael Jackson impersonation'

Postby gfgb123 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:57 pm

A Corporation source told the Daily Mail: "McCartney started to reply in this high-pitched Jacko voice, and apparently it was very funny. But the BBC - deeply nervous, perhaps because of the Jonathan Ross-Russell Brand affair - has declined to broadcast the interview."

Explaining the reasoning as to why the impression could possibly be deemed offensive or unsuitable for broadcast, the source continued: "They say it's a 'trans-racial impression' - that's what they say in a memo - and even by Macca that is beyond the pale."

With that sort of logic, it can be argued that "beyond the pale" can be 'trans-racial'. Give me a break.
gfgb123

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 pm

I put this article up in MACCA News a few days ago. I know he said that on the Oprah show, I was there 'bout 10 feet away. Just so ridiculous how PC everything is getting. Even with the child molester, oh, you can't even do an impression of him. Geez
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Macca does a very good impersonation of jerk off..oops sorry Jacco :ymparty:
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Mike wrote:I put this article up in MACCA News a few days ago. I know he said that on the Oprah show, I was there 'bout 10 feet away. Just so ridiculous how PC everything is getting. Even with the child molester, oh, you can't even do an impression of him. Geez

Wow, Mike, I had no idea you were in the audience during that Oprah interview.
That was a very nice interview. Was the atmosphere as nice as it appeared on television?
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:34 pm

During the first break it was weird, silent, but after that it was much more relaxed. I asked Paul several questions and he responded to me and other audience questions yelled out. I really didn't have to yell, we were 1st row, that close. Oprah gave us T-Shirts and took Paul's scarf. Not all the was taped was shown. For example Paul goes into a longer explanation about Little Willow and how he wrote it to comfort his and Ringo's kids after the death of Maureen, Ringo's first wife. He had tears in eyes and so did most everyone. All Paul's kids were there in the audience in the balcony section that Paul pointed up to often, Linda was too sick to attend, thought she did attend the Standing Stone performance.

Below is the original report I did on Thursday, November 20, 1997.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Awesoman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:49 am

"Will you play at the Lincoln Center with our high school symphony? Yes"

I remember there was an article about this exchange that popped up in the news shortly after this interview. Paul was likely just being glib, but the article took it as legitimate. I'm assuming he never made that appearance...
Awesoman

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:56 pm

Mike wrote:During the first break it was weird, silent, but after that it was much more relaxed. I asked Paul several questions and he responded to me and other audience questions yelled out. I really didn't have to yell, we were 1st row, that close. Oprah gave us T-Shirts and took Paul's scarf. Not all the was taped was shown. For example Paul goes into a longer explanation about Little Willow and how he wrote it to comfort his and Ringo's kids after the death of Maureen, Ringo's first wife. He had tears in eyes and so did most everyone. All Paul's kids were there in the audience in the balcony section that Paul pointed up to often, Linda was too sick to attend, thought she did attend the Standing Stone performance.

Below is the original report I did on Thursday, November 20, 1997.

So very cool that you attended that interview! :cheers ^:)^ :cheers
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Return to MACCA In-The-Media