Beatle-like, Macca-like artists?

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

Beatle-like, Macca-like artists?

Postby Jeff in Ohio » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:03 pm

My favorite artists that remind me of the Beatles and Macca are the obvious choice, Badfinger...and the somewhat obscure Emitt Rhodes. If you haven't heard anything by Emitt Rhodes, get ahold of his 1st album (the self titled Emitt Rhodes, from 1970) and it bears a striking resemblance to the solo McCartney album. Emitt plays all the instruments, does the vocals, a-la McCartney on his self titled 1970 McCartney album. You must hear it, if you like McCartney. And Badfinger speaks for itself...tremendous.

Are there any others you recommend for Beatles and Macca fans?
I'm painting a room in a colorful way, and when my mind is wandering, there I will go.
Jeff in Ohio

Re: Beatle-like, Macca-like artists?

Postby chris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 am

tons of them...

xtc
crowded house
10cc
elo
dave mason

okay, maybe not exactly tons...but off the top of my head, this isn't too shabby of a list.

you had already mentioned badfinger

there was a german band in the late 90's, who had the most mccartneyesque song i had ever heard. i won't guarantee the spelling of this band's name, but they were called frei height (or something in that vicinity) the song was called "keeping the dream alive" and it was an absolute masterpiece.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:23 am

chris wrote:there was a german band in the late 90's, who had the most mccartneyesque song i had ever heard. i won't guarantee the spelling of this band's name, but they were called frei height (or something in that vicinity) the song was called "keeping the dream alive" and it was an absolute masterpiece.

Yeah..I remember that one. The band were called "Freiheit" and you were a decade out (1988 actually). Doesn't time fly :smile: That was Jeff Lynne does McCartney...great song.

You could add "Pilot" to your list (very McCartneyesque) and "Billy Joel" reminds me of Macca quite alot. I always remember hearing My Life on the radio back in '78 and thinking this could be the new Wings single.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Many songs from Oasis sound just like The Beatles in 1965-1966. They also look quite similar.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Another sort of obvious was KLAATU....and I do remember another band called LAKE that sounded Beatleish. And another is SLOAN.

Pretty much any band that has a melody in their music is compared to the Beatles though. :)
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:09 pm

michael penn (brother of sean) has a few great beatlish cd's out too. and 2 of 3 is right...it seems anything that has a strong melody and has any sort of edge to it will invariably be compared to the beatles.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby robeekay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

I don't know if you have heard of The Bravery. They are a sort of underground NY band but they have at least one CD out commercially. I saw a nice show about them on TV, it included performances and interviews. When they were asked who were their musical influences the ALL said "the Beatles." These are guys in their 20s. The guitarist said "whenever I write a song I think what would the Beatles think of this song."
robeekay

Postby vitekmlejnek » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:50 pm

Blur!Blur! Blur

Just listen to albums like Parklife, Great Escape, or 13! Such a diversity of styles + great melodies + experimental stuff + british charm + Beatles-like humour and Lennonish social criticism in lyrics..etc. etc.

Or what about Blur's singer Damon Albarn (follow link below to see picture of DA chatting with Paul) and his side project Gorillaz? That idea of "band of cartoon characters" - isn't it a little bit like Sgt. Peppers's "band" concept?

http://www.vblurpage.com/pictures/damon/damon_0607f.jpg
vitekmlejnek

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions