McCartney buries Eleanor Rigby claim

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Wedsnesday, November 11, 2008

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iRb ... jK0UBAs5tQ

A pay slip from 1911 listing a scullery maid called E. Rigby.

LONDON (AFP) — Paul McCartney on Wednesday shot down suggestions that his Beatles song "Eleanor Rigby" was inspired by a hospital scullery maid after a woman claimed the star had sent her a pay slip signed with that name.

"Eleanor Rigby is a totally fictious character that I made up," McCartney said in a statement released to AFP by his publicists.

"If someone wants to spend money buying a document to prove a fictitious character exists, that's fine with me," he said, referring to a forthcoming auction of the document.

His spokeswoman added they had not been able to establish whether McCartney sent the pay slip to Annie Mawson, who is auctioning it off to raise up to 500,000 pounds for a music therapy centre.

The pay slip dates from 1911 and originally came from City Hospital in Liverpool, McCartney's home city.

Mawson, chief executive of the Sunbeams Music Trust charity, said the ex- Beatles' office sent her the document after she wrote to him asking for a donation to help children with special needs.

Explaining how she received the document in 1990, Mawson said: "One day in the post came a brown envelope with a Paul McCartney world tour stamp, nine months after I had written the letter.

"I opened it and inside was this beautiful, ancient document. It was spine-shivering really, partly because he responded in such a personal way."

"Eleanor Rigby" -- McCartney's song about a lonely woman who "died in the church and was buried along with her name/Nobody came" -- appeared on the 1966 Beatles album "Revolver" and was the B-side to the single "Yellow Submarine".

McCartney has previously said the name Eleanor was inspired by actress Eleanor Bron, who starred in the Beatles film "Help!" in 1965 and that Rigby came from the name of a wine merchant.

In the 1980s, a grave was discovered at Saint Peter's Church in Woolton, Liverpool, where McCartney and bandmate John Lennon used to sunbathe as teenagers, bearing the name Eleanor Rigby.

There was also a gravestone bearing the name "McKenzie" -- the song also features a character called Father McKenzie -- in the graveyard, which has now become a popular attraction for Beatles fans visiting Liverpool.

The document is due to be auctioned in London on November 27.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: McCartney buries Eleanor Rigby claim

Postby Harrythebannister » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:00 pm

I've seen a photo of a grave stone in a Liverpool church grave yard with Eleanor Rigby on it. The same grave yard which both Paul & John used to play in as children. Is it not possible that Macca saw the tombstone and the name stuck in his memory. The name's too unusual for it to have been a coincidence.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:42 pm

there was a lame made for tv movie about the early beatles in the early 80's (or about). in it, i recall a young john and paul jumping gravestones. they fell by one, brushed the leaves off it to reveal the name eleanor rigby. could you have seen the same lame movie as me, harry?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:42 am

Could be. I've seen many lame movies in my time. :)
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:54 am

if memory serves it was called "birth of the beatles".
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:31 pm

chris wrote:if memory serves it was called "birth of the beatles".

I actually kinda like that movie. I still have it on VHS. Does anyone know if it was inspired by Pete Best's recollection of those days? I always had a feeling it was told from his perspective.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Coulda been. I recall all the girls liked Pete Best (pat on the back for an excellent pun) and Paul was jealous. But for all I know, that could have been accurate. I also recall the massive one drum solo ringo played to win over the angry crowd.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:I've seen a photo of a grave stone in a Liverpool church grave yard with Eleanor Rigby on it. The same grave yard which both Paul & John used to play in as children. Is it not possible that Macca saw the tombstone and the name stuck in his memory. The name's too unusual for it to have been a coincidence.

I was always under the same impression Harry.
In fact the graveyard belonged to the church,where Paul and John met on that fatefull day at the fete
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby robeekay » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:31 pm

The actual graves of the Rigby family, including Eleanor's, is close to the entry gate of the graveyard of Woolton Parish Church in Liverpool. Right across the street is the hall where John was playing with the Quarrymen for the church fete, and Paul met John for the first time (1956). I think they probably saw the names multiple times and it stayed in Paul's mind for later use. I think he may have always denied that there was an actual Eleanor Rigby grave out of sensitivity to the privacy of the church or possibly the surviving family. That is just my speculation but imagine the possibilities of vandalism. A "tombstone" for Eleanor Rigby was created for the video of "Free As a Bird" and it is on display in the Beatles Story museum in Liverpool, and I think that it's there also to reinforce the idea that she was a fictitious character.
robeekay

Postby mclarke825 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 am

robeekay wrote:The actual graves of the Rigby family, including Eleanor's, is close to the entry gate of the graveyard of Woolton Parish Church in Liverpool. Right across the street is the hall where John was playing with the Quarrymen for the church fete, and Paul met John for the first time (1956). I think they probably saw the names multiple times and it stayed in Paul's mind for later use. I think he may have always denied that there was an actual Eleanor Rigby grave out of sensitivity to the privacy of the church or possibly the surviving family. That is just my speculation but imagine the possibilities of vandalism. A "tombstone" for Eleanor Rigby was created for the video of "Free As a Bird" and it is on display in the Beatles Story museum in Liverpool, and I think that it's there also to reinforce the idea that she was a fictitious character.

Here's a photo of the one in Liverpool:
http://www.sjsfiles.btinternet.co.uk/rogerrigbyc.htm
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Return to MACCA In-The-Media