Best bassline in a Beatles song

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Re:

Postby JimQ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:BTW, from one of Mark Lewishon's Beatle books (the one w/ a chrolology of events) - it says JOHN played bass on Helter Skelter !

I never realised this...I've just belted out the mono mix of this one and the bass is incredible. Boy these guys were multi instrumentalists!! :salute

I read that both john and paul overdubbed a few basslines onto this song (like with Back in the USSR where they each (-Ringo) did a bassline).

Also- listen to the bassline of She's so Heavy (I want you), its really amazing! Especially if you can get your hands on the take where Paul takes the vocals, the bass is out in front more.
JimQ

Re: Best bassline in a Beatles song

Postby chris » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm

jim, i have heard a version of paul singing IWY, but it was labelled a fake on another website. have you heard the geniune one? i'd be curious.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby flextint » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 pm

TAXMAN
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JimQ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 pm

chris wrote:jim, i have heard a version of paul singing IWY, but it was labelled a fake on another website. have you heard the geniune one? i'd be curious.

I thought it was (a very good) fake for ages but read somewhere recently that the band had a go at rehearsing it when John was away somewhere. I'll try to dig my source out and get back to you!
JimQ

Postby cmr » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Well, since Paul is the most influential electric Rock bass player of all-time we have loads to choose from ... and all the basslines that everybody has mentioned throughout this thread are so dynamic and integral to the songs. Truly amazing. Some days I think "Bulldog" is the best .. some days "Monkey" ... some days "I Want You" with it's tremendous progressive-Rock innovations ... somedays "Rain" ... and it goes on and on.

Anyway, I'd like to mention a few that are not normally mentioned, but are MONSTER basslines when you listen very closely and intently:

AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING (incredible underpinning of all-time great Rocker)
YOU WON'T SEE ME
PLEASE PLEASE ME
DON'T BOTHER ME
CRY BABY CRY (very subtle)
IT'S ALL TOO MUCH (amazing progressive-style bass)

Nearly all of his basslines are so special that it seems each song's bassline deserves a separate thread!
cmr

Postby JimQ » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:40 am

Actually While my guitar gently weeps' bassline is brilliant - Paul's bass and Clapton's guitar playing compliment each other perfectly. I often wish he started a supergroup with him after the beatles
JimQ

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:05 pm

cmr wrote:AND YOUR BIRD CAN SING (incredible underpinning of all-time great Rocker)

I was about to post this one myself but you beat me to it. I was just listening to Revolver very loud through my headphones and the bassline on this is phenomenal! :salute
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sb129 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:14 am

don't let me down. man paul was awesome at the wnd of that song.
sb129

Postby pythonesque » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:35 pm

I have to opt for Rain,tho I may be a little biased as its my fav Beatle track,along with SFF and TNK.
pythonesque

Postby jerseyscott » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:46 am

My first post on the Macca....
Everybody here had some nice thoughts on this thread but...

I give a ton of love to Hey Bulldog. It really is an amazing bass line.

Did anyone mention "I want you (she's so heavy)? He pretty much shows how good he is in that one, as well...

It's all about the feel and the art, not how many notes you can hit in ten seconds.... \M/
jerseyscott

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle