Mind Games

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Mind Games

Postby linclink » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:45 am

Greetings & Blessings! I"m just tossing in an extra post to keep this on the viewable posts board...since, so far, I'm the only one who has posted on this album. Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:58 am

I don't find this album as enjoyable as POB, Imagine or Walls & Bridges, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I LOVE Meat City -- great song!!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:50 pm

It's almost the end of the "album of the week", and so far there are scant few contributors...so I thought I'd just toss out another final chance for this one...before we move on to the next album. Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby linclink » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 pm

RickStark79 wrote:I don't find this album as enjoyable as POB, Imagine or Walls & Bridges, but it's still pretty enjoyable. I LOVE Meat City -- great song!!

Rick- I know this slightly off subject, but just because you didn't mention it, what do you think of the 1980 Lennon material (Double Fantasy/Milk & Honey)? I think it's my favorite, even above "Imagine" (my 2nd fave), or "Plastic Ono Band" (3rd by a hair breadth). Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:56 am

God, looking at my comments 2 years ago, i must've been under a Mind Games spell!

It just doesnt have the longevity of his other albums, there's not as much to keep coming back to time after time. So, my list:

JL/POB
WaBridges
Imagine
Mind Games
DF
M+H
SINYC

there we go!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re:

Postby Harrythebannister » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:Nowhere near his best! This was his most mundane album ever! Worse than even Sometime In New York City!!!

Looking at my quote just last year, I must have had a really bad hang over that day! It's actually not that bad really. Better than SINYC but just behind Walls and bridges IMO. Perhaps it's main problem is it's tendancy to be a bit "middle of the road" in places. It falls well short of Macca's albums of the year!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wildlife74 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:34 am

I always felt this was one of Lennon's best albums--a masterpiece. The production was a bit flat indeed, but the remastered version brought a lot of the key arrangements and playing up in the mix. It is an album full of songs that you can play over and over again, and it still sounds refreshing and you can sing along to. I enjoy this album very much and it is one of John's albums that doesn't seem dated and it is full of some of his best rock songs and melodies since "the White Album"--you don't get any cooler than Lennon and this is him at his coolest.
Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.
Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.
wildlife74

Postby EddieV » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:12 am

wildlife74 wrote:I always felt this was one of Lennon's best albums--a masterpiece. The production was a bit flat indeed, but the remastered version brought a lot of the key arrangements and playing up in the mix. It is an album full of songs that you can play over and over again, and it still sounds refreshing and you can sing along to. I enjoy this album very much and it is one of John's albums that doesn't seem dated and it is full of some of his best rock songs and melodies since "the White Album"--you don't get any cooler than Lennon and this is him at his coolest.

Would not call it a masterpiece, but OK.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bobrocks » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 pm

I've been listening to it a lot lately and, for me, it's certainly better than Walls and Bridges.
The title track is a classic. Other favorites would be Bring on the Lucie, Aisumen, and Out The Blue. But there is really not a weak track on it. Though I feel the material on Plastic Ono Band, Imagine and the 1980 songs are overall stronger.

for me, in order, for John:

Plastic Ono Band
Imagine
The 1980 sessions
Mind Games
Walls and Bridges
Some Time in NYC
bobrocks

Previous

Return to JOHN