Philip Norman Is An Absolute Nut Job

This is where you can post multi-media links for Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, The Beatles and Beatles-related.

Moderator: Mike

Philip Norman Is An Absolute Nut Job

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:27 pm

:x http://celebedge.sympatico.msn.ca/John+ ... date=False

Paul and Yoko should be furious at this sorry excuse of an "author"!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Philip Norman Is An Absolute Nut Job

Postby chris » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:36 pm

sounds like a jackass. it wasn't that long ago that things like this wouldn't sell, because they were obviously sensationalisticly false stories. if this book does well, i'd suggest it says more about the readers than the content of the book.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:59 pm

I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wildlife74 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:49 am

What I really find fascinatingly cowardice about Philip Norman and even author's like Albert Goldman is that they didn't have enough BALLS to publish the tripe they do about Lennon when he was alive. Lennon would not only have a field day with it, but I think he would find some new some new opponents to verbally spar with.

What I don't understand about Yoko and Paul is how can they allow Philip Norman to even release a book like this without any litigation to prevent it's release, especially since Philip Norman--who in my opinion has no credibility, and is not even close to being an authority on the Beatles.

I think that the world already knows all there is to know about the Beatles, and it has been written millions of times over and over again, and then there's people like Philip Norman who crawl out of whatever rock he's been hiding under for 30 years with some unbeleiveable made up fantasy story for his own sick self-indulgence and gratification, and I'm sure someone will buy. I think the real story is that Philip Norman fantasized of being Lennon and longed to sleep with his own mum and Paul Mccartney.

Urrghh...this is the stuff that sells tabloid papers...makes me sick these people are even allowed to write and bother to call themselves a bestselling "author" which ironically I find far more intriguing and at the same time laughable.
Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.
Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.
wildlife74

Postby Crisstti » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:26 am

I don't see why you're so angry... didn't this guy write Shout!, a quite respected book?. We should wait a littele to see what the Lennon book really says. All those news don't have any quote nor from the writer nor from Paul or Yoko.
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 am

Crisstti wrote:I don't see why you're so angry... didn't this guy write Shout!, a quite respected book?. We should wait a littele to see what the Lennon book really says. All those news don't have any quote nor from the writer nor from Paul or Yoko.

I have to admit that "Shout!" was a good read at the time although some of his aligations and turning each Beatle into some sort of caricature often raised an eyebrow. What a amazed me was how convincing his narrative was even when I was almost sure that his facts were distorted or incorrect. Guess it is true what my English professor once told us, "It is possible to write a lot of garbage and do it correctly and do it well. However in the end, it is still garbage." Mind you I read the book once 1981 but that's how I remember it.

I do faintly recall McCartney referred to it as "Shite!" in one interview and reportedly tossed it into a lit fireplace. While initially I was surprised to read the both McCartney and Ono coorperated with the writing. "Co-operating" is a touchy term. I believe a written or oral refusal to be interviewed for a book may constitute a "co-operation" or that's what we were told in one of Beatlefest discussion groups.

Lately I have been very cagey with buying new books about The Beatles. I'll wait for a year or two until the first of the three series of Mark Lewisohn books come out. As for the rest, I simply glance or skim through them at my local Barnes and Noble or Borders (and I'll avoid the coffee :) ).
gfgb123

Postby wildlife74 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:35 pm

I'll admit I own "Shout" but I wasn't impressed when I bought it then and it really hasn't aged well. I don't even think it's worthy of a good read on the toilet...

However, I bet his latest book will find it's way to the bathroom for many as a source of good wiping material.Or wiping the crud off of one's shoes after walking in dog dung.

If you want to read good books on the Beatles read ones written by Derek Taylor, George Martin, Mark Lewisohn or Nicholas Schaffner, they really are the best writers.
Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.
Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.
wildlife74

Return to McCartney - Beatles Mult-Media