McGear CD Package

Discussions of Beatle-related news & artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkins.

Moderator: Mike

McGear CD Package

Postby HansWilbury » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 pm

Hello All. Hope someone can fill me in on the packaging for Mike McGears CD.Was/Is the booklet blank on the inside? I just got a copy (rebuilding my Beatle-Solo-Related collection) and need confirmation.I had the album all those years ago but can't remember what the cd was like. Help! Please. Bless All. Thanks.
HansWilbury

Re: McGear CD Package

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:58 am

"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby wildlife74 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 am

I have three copies of this CD and they all have liner notes and print on the inside...be sure you didn't get a bootlegged version as this cd is very scarce and sells on ebay (if you can find a copy) from anywhere from $50-$100.

The original cd was released by Rykodisc in the 1990's and the cd jewel case has their patented green tinted jewel case...that is one way to tell if you have an original. Bootleggers are swift and could have burned you a fake and put it in a green tinted jewel case to look like an original.

But if that all doesn't matter to you and you just want to own this fantastic disc just for the music...well all I can tell you is enjoy the music!!!
Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.
Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.
wildlife74

Postby HansWilbury » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:07 pm

I would like to thank Jimmy McCullochFan and wildlife74 for their quick responses to my post. The pictures and info are great. Thank you very much for the time and effort you put in. McGear truly is a great album. So sadly,
I was taken for a ride. Thank goodness for amazon's gaurantee policy. Maybe one day I'll find an original copy. Wishing you all the best. Be Blessed.
HansWilbury

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 pm

The album can easily be downloaded as well :cheers
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby wildlife74 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:41 am

this album is quite a find for fans of macca and wings. it bridges the gap between 'juniors farm' and 'venus and mars'.

i first bought a copy on cassette when it was re-released by ryko. then i found an original vinyl edition of it. about a year ago i won a couple of ebay auctions and i managed to win not one but two copies of it still sealed--and i found a used copy of it on cd in a ma and pa record store for just $4.00!!! i am crazy about this album from the artwork to the musicianship. i think mike sounds like he could easily be a wings member, and he sounds a bit like his brother on here, but more like eric stewart of 10cc.

yes, you can find downloads of this album--but you are like me, you got to have a hard copy of it too, especially if you like it and want a back-up because it is rare.

my favorite song is 'the man who found god on the moon' it is absolutely brilliant with the harmonies, etc.

sorry to hear you were taken for a ride. if you dig really deep online you can still find a copy of this amazing album. it's easy to pass off a bootleg of a cd these days with the scanning of artwork onto decent grade paper and direct printing to disc.

this album is long overdue for a re-issue, don't know why it hasn't. it is an important link and a favorite amongst fans.

good luck tracking down an original version of it.
wildlife74

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:13 pm

I'm a fan of this CD as well! It features all of Wings except for the drummer at the time who I guess would have been Jeff Briton and all but one song is written or co written by Macca. My copy is a 1992 release on See For Miles.
High point for me is Leave It. :salute
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wildlife74 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:51 pm

I did not know that See For Miles issued it. mmmm...have to sort it out. Did they include the rare single track "Dance the Do" as a bonus like Ryko did?
And is the See for Miles version still available?
wildlife74

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:04 pm

Yep it's on the album but track six. Didn't know it was a bonus track!

I bought mine from a record fair second hand several years back so I doubt it's still available.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Return to The Beatles: Related Discussions