Anyone paid much attention to "Its Real" ?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Anyone paid much attention to "Its Real" ?

Postby Scott Dossett » Fri May 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Just an acoustic guitar and Lennon whistling. I think the melody is fantastic and would have been a great song for Yoko to have given to Paul, George and Ringo when they were doing the Anthology. It would have been John's melody and Paul, George and Rings could have added the lyrics...I guess its not too late to have another Lennon/McCartney song...Paul could easily put words to this melody. What y'all think ? Here's the song for those who've not heard it...Its on the Lennon Anthology and it sounds like John was gonna finish it but his time just ran out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaipm6r5E5U&NR=1
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Re: Anyone paid much attention to "Its Real" ?

Postby linclink » Fri May 02, 2008 7:50 pm

I LOVE that little gem as well...often choosing to end compilation CDs with it. And you are right, nice observation, that it would have made a great track to have The Threetles attempt. It's really too bad that she didn't "open up the vaults" and give them access to all his demos, and see what might have come of it...I guess everything happens, or in this case doesn't happen, for a reason, and we should really be grateful for what happened and what we got...loves "Free As A Bird", and REALLY LOVED "Real Love"!!! As far as any more Lennon-McCartney/Threetles stuff...me thinks that "Now & Then" is possible (especially since Macca played it last year for Dave Kahne) but I don't think anything else is very likely. Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby ahawk66 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 pm

If "Now and Then" is recorded, I still feel it should go on a McCartney solo record. I know I'm in the minority on that, but I think with George gone, too, it really wouldn't be a Beatles record - even if Ringo's on it, too. Just an opinion.
ahawk66

Postby chris » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:51 pm

ahawk66 wrote:If "Now and Then" is recorded, I still feel it should go on a McCartney solo record. I know I'm in the minority on that, but I think with George gone, too, it really wouldn't be a Beatles record - even if Ringo's on it, too. Just an opinion.

i agree. there can be no more beatle records. i don't consider free as a bird or real love beatle songs either. the song may be co-written by paul/john...or paul/george...but it will ultimately be a paul song.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:23 pm

I agree with what you say here Chris. This goes back to an old argument about what makes a song a Beatle song. For me anything recorded after they broke up cannot be classed as a Beatle song as the group doesn't exist anymore. If you're going to say it's by The Beatles just because three ex Beatles perform on it, then you may as well call "I'm The Greatest" and "All Those Years Ago" Beatles songs as well.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:38 pm

ahawk66 wrote:If "Now and Then" is recorded, I still feel it should go on a McCartney solo record. I know I'm in the minority on that, but I think with George gone, too, it really wouldn't be a Beatles record - even if Ringo's on it, too. Just an opinion.

A very valid point as well. I think that it should be released as a single,with all proceeds going to charity.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ahawk66 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:36 pm

That would be a great idea.
ahawk66

Postby mclarke825 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:19 am

Harrythebannister wrote:I agree with what you say here Chris. This goes back to an old argument about what makes a song a Beatle song. For me anything recorded after they broke up cannot be classed as a Beatle song as the group doesn't exist anymore. If you're going to say it's by The Beatles just because three ex Beatles perform on it, then you may as well call "I'm The Greatest" and "All Those Years Ago" Beatles songs as well.

I wouldn't call a song with only three of them on it a Beatles song. But "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" had all four on it, although John was on tape. But now that George is gone, there can be no more Beatles songs.
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Postby bravefan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 am

The beatles are gone but will never be forgotten. Long live Paul and Ringo.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby eggman1979 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:49 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:I agree with what you say here Chris. This goes back to an old argument about what makes a song a Beatle song. For me anything recorded after they broke up cannot be classed as a Beatle song as the group doesn't exist anymore. If you're going to say it's by The Beatles just because three ex Beatles perform on it, then you may as well call "I'm The Greatest" and "All Those Years Ago" Beatles songs as well.

Hey Harry. I see your point here but think this.There are many songs in which they are not playing together but we call them Beatles´ songs instead (Yesterday, Blackbird, The ballad of John and Yoko, Julia, Goodnight...etc). It´s funny, isn´t it?

Personally, I do think of Free as a bird and Real love as Beatles´ songs based on the fact that the four of them are involved on those songs. Actually, we can yet have a new Beatles´ song if Paul and Ringo make a new version of How do you sleep! (Just kidding! :lol: )

Merry Christmas to all Beatles/Macca fans around the world! :santa
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to JOHN