Live in Japan

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Live in Japan

Postby Brainwashed » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Live in Japan is George Harrison's second official live album release, coming after 1971's Grammy-winning The Concert For Bangla Desh and was released in 1992. Although unbeknown to anyone at the time, Live in Japan would prove to be Harrison's last solo release in his lifetime. It was credited to George Harrison, Eric Clapton & Band.

In 1991, a year after releasing the final Traveling Wilburys album Traveling Wilburys Vol. 3, Harrison was persuaded by close friend Eric Clapton to come out on tour with him in Japan. Mindful of his unsavory live tour for Dark Horse in 1974, Harrison finally relented and in December 1991 performed extremely well-received shows which not only featured his songs, but Clapton's as well. The experience - his last ever tour - proved to be a joyous one for Harrison, where he could not only treat fans to his Beatles classics but also his treasure trove of solo songs all in one set. It could have been the catalyst for future tours, but with Harrison's imminent and extensive involvement in The Beatles Anthology and the lack of a new album to promote until he began working on Brainwashed in the late 1990's, he would never get the chance.

Released in July 1992 with the amusing production credit of "Spike and Nelson Wilbury" (Harrison's two personas on the two Traveling Wilburys albums), Live in Japan was a no-charter in the UK and only managed #126 in the US. but reached #15 in Japan.

In 2004, Live in Japan was remastered and reissued both separately and as part of the deluxe box set The Dark Horse Years 1976-1992 on Dark Horse with new distribution by EMI, and with an extra SACD remix alongside the original.

Track listing
All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

Disc one
"I Want to Tell You" – 4:33
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1966 album Revolver
"Old Brown Shoe" – 3:51
Originally the B-Side to The Beatles' "The Ballad of John and Yoko" in 1969
"Taxman" – 4:16
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1966 album Revolver
Begins with a recording of the actual count-in and cough heard on the original studio version
"Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)" – 3:37
Originally heard on George's 1973 album Living in the Material World
"If I Needed Someone" – 3:50
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1965 album Rubber Soul
"Something" – 5:21
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1969 album Abbey Road
"What Is Life" – 4:47
Originally heard on George's 1970 album All Things Must Pass
"Dark Horse" – 4:20
Originally heard on George's 1974 album Dark Horse
"Piggies" – 2:56
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1968 double album The Beatles
"Got My Mind Set on You" (Rudy Clark) – 4:56
Originally heard on George's 1987 album Cloud Nine

Disc two
"Cloud 9" – 4:23
"Here Comes the Sun" – 3:31
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1969 album Abbey Road
"My Sweet Lord" – 5:42
"All Those Years Ago" – 4:26
Originally heard on George's 1981 album Somewhere in England
"Cheer Down" (George Harrison/Tom Petty) – 3:53
Originally heard on 1989 Lethal Weapon 2 film soundtrack
"Devil's Radio" – 4:25
"Isn't It a Pity" – 6:33
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" – 7:09
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1968 double album The Beatles
"Roll Over Beethoven" (Chuck Berry) – 4:45
Originally heard on The Beatles' 1963 album With the Beatles

(Credit goes to Wikipedia)
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: Live in Japan

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:59 pm

I wonder why there´s no DVD. Didn´t they film some concerts ??
As far as I know the performances were really good - George had Clapton´s incredibly competent band at his disposal, plus Clapton himself; also George´s was in fine form music-wise. I don´t see any reason why there´s no DVD out. Any litigations/disputes regarding the presence of artists from different labels, perhaps ? ? It´s a wild guess.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby giovagb07 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:40 pm

This is a great live album.

I wonder why he never played This Is Love in concert... or did he??
Come on check my machine
giovagb07

Postby linclink » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Two tracks he did do live from this tour (don't think he ever did "This Is Love"- pity as it's my fave track on "Cloud 9") that don't appear on this album (for who knows what reasons) were "Love Comes To Everyone", and "Fish On The Sand". I dig some of this album, but there is just too much of the feel of Clapton's very corporate sounding rawk band backing things up, and dulling them out. I know Harrison probably wouldn't have even done this without the ready made band that Eric supplied, but the gesture, heartfelt as it may have been, gave mixed results at best. Sometimes Eric is good, and sometimes George just rises above the backing muck, but at times Eric isn't good, and things lumber. I'll take it for the great parts, and still like the good ones, but I'd have to make a mix CD, as there is no way for me to listen to it beginning to end. Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby jules » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:47 pm

How was Clapton's band "corporate"? I thought they gave superb interpretations of Harrison's songs, both solo and Beatles. Clapton's band provided the backing for possibly his best (IMHO) solo album "Journeyman". And Clapton and this very band gave a wonderful performance at the 1990 Knebworth concert (available to see on Youtube). The band featured the gorgeous Tessa Niles on backing vocals on whom I used to have an incredible crush. Still do, actually!
jules

Postby linclink » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:51 pm

jules wrote:How was Clapton's band "corporate"? I thought they gave superb interpretations of Harrison's songs, both solo and Beatles. Clapton's band provided the backing for possibly his best (IMHO) solo album "Journeyman". And Clapton and this very band gave a wonderful performance at the 1990 Knebworth concert (available to see on Youtube). The band featured the gorgeous Tessa Niles on backing vocals on whom I used to have an incredible crush. Still do, actually!

To me they are "corporate" because, to my ears, they sound bland and lifeless much of the time...like they are "punching the clock". The last Clapton album I liked much was "Money & Cigarettes". I like some tracks here and there, and I thought his Unplugged performance was pretty good, but most of what I've heard over the last 20 years or so doesn't compare very well with his first 20 years- which I genuinely dig. I don't hate all of "Live In Japan". I just only really like about 1/2 of it, and the other half is spotty at best. The backing sounds like the worst elements of faceless arena rock to me, and it's that vibe that brings it down for me. As I said I also think that Clapton is fine on some stuff, but I don't care for his playing on some of the album either. If you hear something different, that's fine. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've given that album a number tries over the years, and it just seems like a far cry from the wonders of "The Concert For Bangldesh". I could make a decent "salvage" mix CD from it, but overall the feel of it just isn't my cuppa tea I guess. Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Berkeleyan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:21 am

I agree. I have a poor quality VHS copy of one of the shows in Japan and I think that Clapton´s band was technically superb but during several numbers they were just going through the motions. I didn´t notice any real emotion from them at those times. Of course George´s behavior was never enthusiastic, like he was having a lot of fun or something. That was just the way he was, though. He did show emotion on certain occasions but he was no "showman" like Macca.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby Mark Rink » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:22 pm

George's voice sounds very weak to me on this cd.I'm a little dissapointed in it .
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Berkeleyan wrote:I wonder why there´s no DVD. Didn´t they film some concerts ??

I'm sure at least one concert was filmed. I've seen professionally shot clips from one of the shows!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Return to GEORGE