Dissapointing albums?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Dissapointing albums?

Postby EddieV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:41 am

Which albums have you been most dissapointed over?

Must admit that Pipes Of Piece was a big dissapointment after Tug Of War

Also Kid A_Radiohead, after OK Computer was a big dissapointment.

Recently I bought The Wall by Pink Floyd and it is a dissapoinment. Compared to Dark Side Of Moon and Wish You Were Here it is no where near those!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Dissapointing albums?

Postby linclink » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:36 am

While I ldo love "The Wall", I grant you that it can be a more arduous listening experience than those other Floyd classics- suggestion...it is a sprawling concept album (not unlike "Quarophenia") which is all fine & good if you are in the mood for that, but try and burning an edited CD of your favorites and see if you like what you come up with. I LOVE that album.
Now "Pipes of Peace", yeah, following "Tug of War" that was pretty incredibly dissapointing. "Press to Play" was following POP & Broad Street, so while it wasn't a good album (though it had good moments) it wasn't as much of a let down, or shock. I'll tell you I was, and still am, a huge "Back to the Egg" fan, and "McCartney II", though a little better than POP, was nearly as big a let down for me. We did have "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" & "London Town", to soften the blow at the time; meaning that I wasn't that into them, so a return to form with BTTE, being followed by McII was no big surprise. Now I have to say that both albums have grown on me a whole lot, but way back when "Wings At The Speed Of Sound" was following the streak of "Venus & Mars", and "Band on the Run" it was a pretty big let down for me...I stress, at that time. So after those two not really hitting me back then, I guess I wasn't shocked by McII, like I said just let down. POP was just so out there bad (with a few exceptions of course) that I was downright embarrassed for him, and outright confused myself.
While I prefer "Wings Wild Life" to any of those trio of real dissapointers I just mentioned, coming after "Ram" I'll bet you that was a let down for the folks who had the ears for "Ram" back when it came out. Though it's worth noting that "Ram" wasn't real well received, there were fans who did dig it, and fewer critics who did. Blessings!!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby jules » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:58 pm

The word is "disappointing". And The Wall came after Animals. And The Wall is fab. But you're right; Pipes Of Peace is crap.
jules

Postby EddieV » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:12 pm

jules wrote:The word is "disappointing". And The Wall came after Animals. And The Wall is fab. But you're right; Pipes Of Peace is crap.

Sorry we are not all english speaking people.

I think it depense on your exspectations!!
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby hbb28 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 pm

I would have to say after a great resurgence with Back To the Egg, McCartney 2 not only disapointed but unfortunately spelled the end of Wings which was a major bummer for me. Denny Laine never got the credit for his contribution to that band- he was a great compliment to Paul- 2nd ofcourse to John Lennon.
hbb28

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:47 pm

EddieV wrote:Recently I bought The Wall by Pink Floyd and it is a dissapoinment. Compared to Dark Side Of Moon and Wish You Were Here it is no where near those!!

I love 'The Wall'
It's my favorite album of theirs and my all time favorite concept album.

Do you know the storyline of the album?
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 pm

EddieV wrote: The Wall by Pink Floyd is a dissapoinment.

wow...eddie...i beg you to give this one another shot. to say its a great album does not truly do it service. this is a masterpiece. its different from dark side...but every bit as deep and mind blowing. i'd go so far as to call it one of the rock era's highlights.

and jules, kind sir...let me know if i have spelled anything incorrectly. :wink:

and kid a was an electronic mess after the wonderful ok computer, righty-o
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:05 am

chris wrote:

wow...eddie...i beg you to give this one another shot. to say its a great album does not truly do it service. this is a masterpiece. its different from dark side...but every bit as deep and mind blowing. i'd go so far as to call it one of the rock era's highlights.

and jules, kind sir...let me know if i have spelled anything incorrectly. :wink:

I am comparing it to Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You were Here and these albumare way better!!
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:10 pm

Kid A is a masterpiece. End of.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:28 pm

EddieV wrote:
chris wrote:

I am comparing it to Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You were Here and these albumare way better!!

I have to agree that "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" are better than "The Wall" but I wasn't disappointed by it at all. What "The Wall" has is a more developed story line than the other two albums and of course two of the best rock guitar solos (in one song) for "Comfortably Numb". Initially I wasn't too thrilled with the album that followed "Wish You Were Here": "Animals". It took a while for me to really get into it.
gfgb123

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists