George Harrison (Album)

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

George Harrison (Album)

Postby Brainwashed » Tue May 13, 2008 9:40 pm

George Harrison is the eponymous album release by George Harrison in 1979. It was recorded during a period of domestic happiness which saw Harrison marry Olivia Trinidad Arias and fathering his son Dhani, all during George Harrison's making in 1978.

History
With Harrison's penchant for leisure and travel following Thirty Three & 1/3's release, he didn't manage to start recording a follow-up until mid-1978, although he had been writing songs during his hiatus. Teaming up with a co-producer for the first time in years, Harrison decided to use Russ Titelman to help realize the music for George Harrison, which was recorded at his home studio, entitled Friar Park, with string overdubs being effected at London's AIR Studios. Special guests included Steve Winwood, Gary Wright (who co-wrote "If You Believe") and Eric Clapton.

The album was previewed by the single "Blow Away", which reached #51 in the UK and #16 in the United States. George Harrison received charitable reviews upon its February 1979 release. It reached #39 in the UK and it peaked at #14 in the U.S., going gold. Harrison's increasing efforts, however, were being directed towards the film industry (having formed Handmade Films in order to help his friends in Monty Python complete Life of Brian).

In 2004, George Harrison was remastered and reissued both separately and as part of the deluxe box set The Dark Horse Years 1976-1992 on Dark Horse with new distribution by EMI, adding the bonus track demo version of "Here Comes the Moon", recorded just after it was written in Hawaii. The lettering on the front of the album has been modified as well.

Track listing
All songs by written by George Harrison, except where noted.

"Love Comes to Everyone" – 4:36
Guitar intro played by Eric Clapton, who would go on to cover the song on his 2005 album Back Home.
Song was performed live only once during Harrison's Japanese tour in December 1991
"Not Guilty" – 3:35
Originally recorded by The Beatles in 1968 for inclusion on The Beatles album (also known as the White Album); it was finally issued in 1996 on Anthology 3.
"Here Comes the Moon" – 4:48
A lyrical successor to Harrison's 1969 composition "Here Comes the Sun".
"Soft-Hearted Hana" – 4:03
Written about a Psychedelic mushroom experience Harrison had in Maui.
Incorporates actual atmosphere from Harrison's local Henley-on-Thames pub, "The Row Barge".
"Blow Away" – 4:00
"Faster" – 4:46
Incorporates actual racing effects from the British Grand Prix on 16 July 1978.
"Dark Sweet Lady" – 3:22
"Your Love Is Forever" – 3:45
"Soft Touch" – 3:59
"If You Believe" (George Harrison, Gary Wright) – 2:55
"Here Comes the Moon" (demo version) - 3:37
A demo released as a bonus track on the 2004 remastered and reissued version of George Harrison.

Personnel
George Harrison - Vocals, guitars, backing vocals, bass on "Faster"
Andy Newmark - Drums
Willie Weeks - Bass
Neil Larsen - Keyboards, Minimoog
Ray Cooper - Percussion
Stevie Winwood - Polymoog, Harmonium, Minimoog and backing vocals
Emil Richards - Marimba
Gayle Levant - Harp
Eric Clapton - Guitar intro on "Love Comes To Everyone"
Gary Wright - Oberheim on "If You Believe"
Del Newman - Strings and horn arrangements

(Credit goes to Wikipedia)
Last edited by Brainwashed on Fri May 16, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: George Harrison (Album)

Postby dylankyra » Wed May 14, 2008 10:52 am

I could go on forever about this album.....

It got me through some dark times, along with Pete Townshend's 'Empty Glass' album.

I don't think you'll find a more heavenly song then "Your Love Is Forever".....right up there with the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home".

For us guitar players this album contains some of the most carefully recorded and best played guitar parts you're gonna find anywhere ---- as always, gorgeous slide guitar work. The 'shine' of "Love Comes To Everyone", the brilliance of "Here Comes The Moon", melodicism abounds in tracks like "Blow Away".

Buy the remastered CD version, of course, and let this album wash over you --- you'll find it very cleansing!
dylankyra

Postby tristanjblythe » Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 pm

One of his best solo efforts and probably my favourite in the Dark Horse Years set (but that is a bit of a tough one to decide!). A very relaxed sounding and consistent album with fantastic melodies. Might not be in my top ten solo Beatles albums (All Things Must Pass definitely would be) but it would be pretty high (and not just cos of Soft Hearted Hana :wink: )

A great mellow version of "lost Beatles classic" Not Guilty too!
tristanjblythe

Postby linclink » Thu May 15, 2008 10:11 am

Glad to see so many folks loving this album. ME TOO!! While "All Things Must Pass" and "Thirty-Three & 1/3" are my all time favorites, followed very closely by "Brainwashed"...I'd say that "George Harrison" is easily the equal of, and probably even actually superior to, "Cloud 9", or "Living In The Material World". It certainly makes the list of George's greatest and most classic solo works. Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby bobrocks » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:27 pm

I just pulled out my old vinyl copy of this album, that I hadn't listened to in about 15 years. I gotta say, this is a great record!
Love Comes to Everyone, Here Comes the Moon, Blow Away, Faster, Your Love Is Forever are all favorites.
I've never been a huge fan of George's solo stuff, but I'm definately gonna look for this on cd.
bobrocks

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:33 pm

This is my favourite George album, maybe just marginally ahead of "All Things Must Pass". Apart from the sheer quality of the songs, I just love the production particularly on "Here Comes The Moon" and for me George's vocal harmonies have never sounded better. Overall a lush album!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby wildlife74 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Beautifully moving music full of light and optimism.
I have never overlooked this true gem of an album. This is a fine example of some of the music we could have possibly witnessed on a Beatles record only if George had more songs. But George managed to safe the best for himself.
Tomorrow, when we both abandon sorrow.
Oh, baby, don't you let me down tomorrow,
Thro' the week we beg and steal and borrow.
Oh, for a chance to get away tomorrow.
wildlife74

Return to GEORGE