New REM album: Accelerate

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

New REM album: Accelerate

Postby jules » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:06 pm

Just thought I'd say that I bought it yesterday. And it's really very good. I'd recommend it to anyone. Love, love, love REM!
jules

Re: New REM album: Accelerate

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:31 pm

I hear that it's a bit heavier this time around.
Much like their album 'Monster'.
True?
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Genuine Indian Guru: it is reminiscent of Monster, yes.
I don't like the way the rock journalists rate each REM album so highly and then knock it down a couple of years later. They do the same thing to Macca. As I usually think about Macca's albums, they're all pretty damn good (with a couple of exceptions maybe). Accelerate has been touted as a return to form, which, in a way, it is. But I really liked Reveal. At first they said the same thing, and now it seems to be regarded as some sort of artistic failure. Reviewers really can be rather odious!
jules

Postby mr h atom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51 am

'accelerate' is far more in the 'monster/'new adv. in hifi' mode than the last 3 albums...
so, if you really like that stuff ( i do; but i like all the post I.R.S. stuff as much as the I.R.S. stuff (with the exception noted below))...this album won't dissappoint...
so far, i'm diggin' all tracks intensely: except, maybe, the last : something about Stipe gettin' his urban groove thang (Radio Song w/KRS-one was kinda cool...this...notsomuch ) on that just makes me cringe a little.

still haven't come to realistic thought on 'up', 'reveal' and 'around the sun': they remain elusive for me...try as i might ( and i do try them out often) i just can't grasp what they were getting at...
they all seem sort of adrift, ethereal (not in a good way)...
none do i actually hate...
but none do i actually like...
they remain some of the few albums by any artist (whose near entire catalogue i like ) that i keep trying to 'get', yet fail: most times, by now...i'd've given up: yet, i'm intrigued...how can a group of guys, who always offer up such interesting stuff, go so wrong..or, did they ?

having said that: 'Accelerate' is not nesc. a huge step forward, either (nor quite a step back): just a grand reiteration, with style and panache, of that which we alrerady know and love about these guys - it is nice to see them regain their footing
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby ProgRocker » Sat May 10, 2008 2:29 am

Well I liked Up and Reveal, Around The Sun was a bit of a snoozefest, though. Accelerate is much better than any of those albums; I'm not sure how I'll rank it long term, but for the moment it's easily one of R.E.M.'s best albums.

"If music be the food of love; play on." - William Shakespeare
ProgRocker

Return to Music - Other Artists