The Concert for Bangladesh

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

The Concert for Bangladesh

Postby Brainwashed » Sun May 04, 2008 10:59 pm

The Concert for Bangladesh is a live triple album and double DVD by George Harrison and celebrity friends performed in aid of the homeless Bengali refugees of the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War. Performed on 1 August 1971 at New York City's Madison Square Garden, The Concert for Bangladesh was a pioneering charity event, preceding Live Aid by 14 years.

Concert
After being made aware of the gravity of the situation in what was then known as East Pakistan by friend and musician Ravi Shankar, Harrison quickly organised two performances in their aid, in addition to composing and releasing a single called "Bangladesh" just preceding the event. With Harrison, highly popular following the success of All Things Must Pass, leading the shows, he wanted to surround himself with his closest musician friends, including Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan (both of whom were in reclusive states at that time), in addition to Billy Preston, Badfinger, Leon Russell, Shankar, and Ringo Starr, among others.[1]

Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney had been asked by Harrison to join, but McCartney felt it was too soon for a Beatles reunion and declined. Lennon was keen to take part, but recanted his acceptance after Harrison stated that he did not want Lennon's wife, Yoko Ono, to take part in the concert.

The two concerts on 1 August 1971 were highly successful, with a cheque for US$243,418.50 being immediately sent to UNICEF for relief. All involved were pleased with a job well done.[1] As much as $15 million was made by the album and film, but the money was held in an Internal Revenue Service escrow account for years because the concert organisers hadn't applied for tax-exempt status. It's uncertain how much money actually went to relieve the initial refugee crisis and Harrison himself was said to have been "disgusted" over the matter.[2][3][4]

Album release
Shortly before Christmas in 1971, The Concert for Bangladesh was released in the US, while appearing in the UK shortly after New Year's Day 1972. It was an immediate best-seller, spending several weeks at #2 in the US and becoming Harrison's second #1 UK album during his lifetime. The album's significance was further cemented when it won the coveted Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1973.

To enable Bob Dylan's appearance on the album, his label, Columbia Records, was given the cassette distribution rights. Presently, Sony Music has also assumed the CD rights for the album in Europe.[1]

Initially reissued on CD in 1991, The Concert for Bangladesh was remastered and re-released -with some editing of the breaks in between the songs - in October 2005 with the addition of Dylan's rehearsal performance of "Love Minus Zero/No Limit", as well as a simultaneous DVD release of the original 1972 Apple film.

The artwork on the original album featured a malnourished Bangladeshi refugee child, which the record companies thought was too depressing and would hurt sales of the albums. They wanted Harrison's image on the cover, but Harrison refused and insisted that the child be put on the cover.[1] Eventually, when the album was re-released in 2005, after Harrison had died, it was Harrison's photo on the cover, though the special-edition DVD retains the original photograph.

Sales of the remastered album and DVD continue to benefit the George Harrison Fund for UNICEF.

Track listing
All songs by George Harrison, except where noted.

Side one
"George Harrison/Ravi Shankar Introduction" – 5:19
"Bangla Dhun" (Ravi Shankar) – 16:40
A dhun performed by Ravi Shankar

Side two
"Wah-Wah" – 3:30
"My Sweet Lord" – 4:36
"Awaiting on You All" – 3:00
"That's the Way God Planned It" (Billy Preston) – 4:20
Performed by Billy Preston

Side three
"It Don't Come Easy" (Ringo Starr) – 3:01
Performed by Ringo Starr
"Beware of Darkness" – 3:36
Featuring Leon Russell on one verse

Side four
"Band Introduction" – 2:39
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" – 4:53
"Medley: Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood" (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards)/(Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller/Doc Pomus) – 9:27
Performed by Leon Russell, with Billy Preston on "Youngblood"
"Here Comes the Sun" – 2:59

Side five
"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" (Bob Dylan) – 5:44
"It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry" (Bob Dylan) – 3:07
"Blowin' in the Wind" (Bob Dylan) – 4:07
"Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan) – 4:45
"Just Like a Woman" (Bob Dylan) – 4:49
Tracks 13–17 are performed by Bob Dylan, accompanied by Harrison, Ringo Starr and Leon Russell

Side six
"Something" – 3:42
"Bangla-Desh" – 4:55
Harrison's studio version of "Bangladesh" was released as a single just two days before the concerts

Bonus track (2005 re-master)
"Love Minus Zero/No Limit" (Bob Dylan) – 4:19

Personnel

Featured performers
Ravi Shankar – sitar
Ali Akbar Khan – sarod
Alla Rakha – tabla
Kamala Chakravarty – tamboura
George Harrison – vocals, guitars
Ringo Starr – vocals, drums, tambourine
Leon Russell – vocals, piano, bass guitar
Billy Preston – vocals, organ
Eric Clapton – lead guitar
Bob Dylan – vocals, guitar, harmonica

Backing musicians
Klaus Voormann – bass guitar
Jim Keltner – drums
Badfinger (Pete Ham, Tom Evans, Joey Molland) - acoustic guitars, (Mike Gibbins) – tambourine
Jesse Ed Davis – lead guitar
Don Preston – lead guitar, vocals
Carl Radle – bass guitar
Jim Horn, Allan Beutler, Chuck Findley, Jackie Kelso, Lou McCreary, Ollie Mitchell – The Hollywood Horns
Don Nix, Jo Green, Jeanie Greene, Marlin Greene, Dolores Hall, Claudia Linnear – backing vocals

Production notes
This recording was made using up to 44 microphones at one time.

Special thanks go to Gary Kellgren, Lillian, Dennis and Tom of Record Plant, New York and to Norman and Steve mix down engineers of A&M Studio, Los Angeles for their time and energy.

(Credit goes to Wikipedia)
Last edited by Brainwashed on Fri May 16, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: The Concert for Bangladesh

Postby EddieV » Sat May 10, 2008 11:28 am

I ot the DVD last year for Christmas. It is a beautiful DVD I think.

I´m very happy that the album stills helps people from the money it is gaining.

One thing in the DVD, George looks so skinny, maybe to may drugs??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mclarke825 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 am

Two questions:

First of all, Dylan's performance of "Mr. Tambourine Man" was on the album and is on the CD, but it is not included in the film/DVD. Anyone know why?

Second, in one of the DVD extras, someone mentions George having put a little backward message at the end of the album, which I remember hearing. I have never had the capability to reverse it to hear what it says. Has anyone done this, or does anyone know what is said?
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Postby linclink » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:14 am

mclarke825 wrote:Two questions:

First of all, Dylan's performance of "Mr. Tambourine Man" was on the album and is on the CD, but it is not included in the film/DVD. Anyone know why?

Second, in one of the DVD extras, someone mentions George having put a little backward message at the end of the album, which I remember hearing. I have never had the capability to reverse it to hear what it says. Has anyone done this, or does anyone know what is said?

This is the last paragraph from:
http://www.electricearl.com/phyllis/bangladesh.html
which is...George Harrison’s Concert For Bangladesh Released On DVD By Phyllis Pollack
Here 'tis:
Among the details uncovered in the DVD’s mini features section, it is revealed that fans always looked for secret messages on Beatles albums, and therefore, Harrison placed a subliminal message at the end of the album, which to this day, has never been deciphered.
I guess whoever discovers it, will be the first...I wonder if Olivia, Dhani, Ravi, etc. know what it is? And if they will ever let everyone else in it or not? Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Return to GEORGE