Favourite guitarist?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Favourite guitarist?

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:15 am

Jimmy McCulloch is #1 then Brian May
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Edward Van Halen

David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Page
Brian May
George Harrison
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:07 am

George Harrison is for me only a mediocre guitarist. He is not up there with the big gun.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 pm

Eddie V: you're entitled to your opinion. But Harrison was a bit better than that...wasn't he?
jules

Postby giovagb07 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:25 pm

Harrison wasn't even the best guitarist in the Beatles
Come on check my machine
giovagb07

Postby jules » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Giovag: point taken. Macca was the best guitarist in The Beatles...seriously. His solo on Taxman and his work on the second side of Abbey Road marks Macca out as the best guitarist in The Beatles. I just meant that Harrison is quite important and shouldn't, perhaps, be dismissed out of hand. After all, he was pretty blooming nifty from time to time. One of the positive attributes of Harrison as a soloist was that, as people have often remarked upon, every note mattered...if you know what I mean. In other words, he didn't wail on indefinitely.
However, David Gilmour (note the spelling!) wails on quite a bit, and I love his solos. Especially on Animals...and The Dark Side of the Moon.
jules

Postby linclink » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:29 pm

jules wrote:Giovag: point taken. Macca was the best guitarist in The Beatles...seriously. His solo on Taxman and his work on the second side of Abbey Road marks Macca out as the best guitarist in The Beatles. I just meant that Harrison is quite important and shouldn't, perhaps, be dismissed out of hand. After all, he was pretty blooming nifty from time to time. One of the positive attributes of Harrison as a soloist was that, as people have often remarked upon, every note mattered...if you know what I mean. In other words, he didn't wail on indefinitely.
However, David Gilmour (note the spelling!) wails on quite a bit, and I love his solos. Especially on Animals...and The Dark Side of the Moon.

I think they all had their shining moments...no problems with anyone who prefers Paul. While I love all the early rocker/rockabilly stuff, it's from Rubber Soul onwards (for me, though Help is arguably more of a bridge between the early & later stuff than Rubber Soul, and could be the actual start of the later goldenest era of works) that they all just excel. As far as the guitars go, in the more/most modern sense, it would be '68 & '69 where things are most breathtaking for me. The Beatles (White Album), Let It Be (Get Back sessions), Abbey Road & all the non-album singles...just amazing!! The stuff earlier (later '65-'67) is amazing, just a bit less "GUITAR!!" than the '68-'70 (truly '68-'69, unless you count the last sessions for "I, Me, Mine") period.
I should add that pre-'68 saw Macca's wonder work on "Taxman", "Good Morning, Good Morning" & the guitar tag team of Lennon and ? whoeverelse? on "It's All Too Much". I've read Lennon & Harrison, but also heard that George was on organ on this, and that is was Lennon & Macca that are the twin guitar freakout army. Anyone got any info on that? Blessings!!
Last edited by linclink on Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 am

There are really a lot of lead guitarist that I like from then to now. From the usual heros: Clapton, Hendrix, Townshend, Gilmour, Blackmore, Iommi, to name a few to someone current: Slash, Petrucci (Dream Theater, Synyster Gates (lead guitarist of Avenged Sevenfold--if you haven't heard it yet, you got to listen to the solo on "Seize the Day").

Regardless of whatever has been written, Harrison was the best lead guitarist in the Beatles. Lennon and McCartney had greater potential but it never really developed to the extent their songwriting did. I think Harrison stuck a bit too long in trying to emulate Carl Perkins. It sort of stunt his grow. So when you heard Lennon or McCartney playing lead say up to 1966, it was a fresher approach with a different style. That being said, The Beatles worked at an amazing speed, averaging two albums a year in the early days and one a year in the latter days not including EP's and singles. Gilmour probably had more time to come up with a solo for "Comfortably Numb" than Harrison had for say "Fixing a Hole" and that's not a put down for either one.
gfgb123

Postby EddieV » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:03 am

jules wrote:Eddie V: you're entitled to your opinion. But Harrison was a bit better than that...wasn't he?

He was great for The Beatles but not at same level as eg. Clapton
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccajets » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:01 pm

1. Eric Clapton
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. George Harrison
4. The Edge
5. Pete Townshend