Which albums by favourite artists are ever-so-slightly odd?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Which albums by favourite artists are ever-so-slightly odd?

Postby jules » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Just a thought I've had for a couple of days.
There are some albums which never quite seem to hit the spot...or maybe they hit the spot on a rainy day. I don't mean albums you dislike. In fact, on occasion, you might really enjoy them. You know, those albums which are part of the overall picture of an artist, but which are oddballs or oddities.
For me, I've always thought of the following albums as being odd, strange, ever-so-slightly off-kilter:

Goat's Head Soup by The Rolling Stones (weary, muddy, autumnal, nightmarish, macabre, bad trip)
Wind and Wuthering by Genesis (again autumnal, a bit melancholy, slightly regretful)
Stranded by Roxy Music (seedy, faded grandeur, glamour gone to seed)
Smiley Smile by The Beach Boys (fragments of half-remembered conversations, bad dreams)
The Soft Parade by The Doors (the lizard-king and chums meet Vegas cheese fest band and strike up unlikely frienship)

I must stress: not albums actively disliked. I'd be keen to read your thoughts...
jules

Re: Which albums by favourite artists are ever-so-slightly odd?

Postby MikeMaccaFan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:29 pm

The big one that comes to mind is "All That You Can't Leave Behind" by U2.

All of the sudden they're trying to make an album of singles... a huge departure from every U2 album prior, I like it though!
MikeMaccaFan

Postby jules » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:03 pm

I'd agree with you there.
Another one I thought of is The Royal Scam by Steely Dan. It doesn't really follow on from Katie Lied. In fact, if you leave out TRS, Katie Lied flows into Aja beautifully. I used to have them on tape for the car before the advent of CDs. They are almost of a piece IMHO. But TRS is much more guitar-orientated and raucous. I still like it though. The album seems like a departure from the two albums that surround it. I don't think they ever veered down that particular cul-de-sac again.
jules

Postby ProgRocker » Sun May 11, 2008 11:14 pm

One album that comes to mind is Yes's "Open Your Eyes." I sometimes feel in the mood for it, and absolutely love it, and there are times where it annoys the hell out of me. :lol: It's also an oddity in their catalogue, there honestly isn't another Yes album like it.

"If music be the food of love; play on." - William Shakespeare
ProgRocker

Postby A. » Mon May 12, 2008 5:52 am

ProgRocker wrote:One album that comes to mind is Yes's "Open Your Eyes." I sometimes feel in the mood for it, and absolutely love it, and there are times where it annoys the hell out of me. :lol: It's also an oddity in their catalogue, there honestly isn't another Yes album like it.

OMG - I know what you mean. Only I am not quite fond of their 80's style (cause that album, despite yes having recorded 70's -evoking albums already in 90's- is sooooo 80's...). But somehow there is sth to it that I SOMETIMES (under very limited circumstances) listen to.

I'm wondering wheter thery're going to record anything - it's been a long time since magnification...
A.

Postby EddieV » Mon May 12, 2008 10:04 am

Sometimes I like Out Of The Blue by ELO, not a fan but this record is great!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon May 12, 2008 8:29 pm

so...by peter gabriel is an oddly cool one. so too, by extension...is peter gabriel then.
white city...by pete townshend
i think duke, by genesis is too

the guitar play of jack white is sort of oddly entertaining. he jams...but differently, somehow.
the first five smashing pumpkins albums are different. mr corgan may not be the best vocallist, but he can wail on the guitar.

speaking of odd, who gets odder than radiohead? not all of their stuff works for me. but i admire how they push the envelope...trying to do something out of the ordinary.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Which albums by favourite artists are ever-so-slightly o

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 29, 2012 12:50 am

the top by the cure

even after all these years, i pull that one out and say...rather emphatically.. 'what the heck was that ?'

but it's a grower :-D

used to hate it...now, i kinda like it
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Return to Music - Other Artists