::Past Masters vol. 2

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Rick, James, Kylestyle, and Jules;

Agree with you all again, no matter how much we have disagreed in the past (and may in the future) your points of view are very informed, sometimes enlightning and ALWAYS sincere and/or funny/and or very interesting! Never wasting each other's time like XXX.

The singles as you point out are a wonderful topic, because the songs are astonishing in every way! It's very interesting to note the time period where they were recorded/released, then imagining them onto the album of that time and WHEW BABY! what lp's those evolve into!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:25 pm

kylestyle wrote:Oh come on Laz - no Beatles fan would say the stuff you just said. You have just single-handedly RUBBISHED some of the most familiar songs in popular music history, then you sound all dripping with anticipation for the "solo race". Well if that's how you sum up the late-era Beatles output, then God help their solo careers. No sense of appreciation at all for brilliant work. The finest output of recorded music ever. How come you like Sgt Pepper so much, yet despise Across The Universe, which is every bit as beautiful as A Day In The Life? How come you rubbish timeless tracks as Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Revolution, Get Back, Ballad of John and Yoko etc? Staggering.

immergence

it's Emergence :wink:
There are songs in their solo careers that are a million times better than crap like:
Revolution, Get Back, Ballad Of John and Yoko, Across the Universe, Lady Madonna...
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 pm

I really like that Bobby McFerren song....Don't Worry, Be Happy. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:20 pm

Got my hands on a ton of Mono Mixes for Beatle songs...
Paperback writer is arguably much much richer...

The stereo mix(on Past Masters) sounds like all they did was turn the bass up and push it forward... rubbish mixing.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby RickStark79 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:05 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:
kylestyle wrote:Oh come on Laz - no Beatles fan would say the stuff you just said. You have just single-handedly RUBBISHED some of the most familiar songs in popular music history, then you sound all dripping with anticipation for the "solo race". Well if that's how you sum up the late-era Beatles output, then God help their solo careers. No sense of appreciation at all for brilliant work. The finest output of recorded music ever. How come you like Sgt Pepper so much, yet despise Across The Universe, which is every bit as beautiful as A Day In The Life? How come you rubbish timeless tracks as Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Revolution, Get Back, Ballad of John and Yoko etc? Staggering.

immergence

it's Emergence :wink:
There are songs in their solo careers that are a million times better than crap like:
Revolution, Get Back, Ballad Of John and Yoko, Across the Universe, Lady Madonna...

Is this your first time hearing this compilation?! It sounds like you're just hearing these songs for the first time.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:48 pm

What was Laz on about? The songs he mentioned are some of the best ever. None of The Beatles ever released anything solo that was as good as they did together. As PM said, they were "mining gold" in those days.
jules

Postby james1985 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 am

Anyone else noticed how good Ringo's drum entrance in Hey Jude is?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re:

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:10 am

james1985 wrote:Anyone else noticed how good Ringo's drum entrance in Hey Jude is?

I was thinking this again today!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re:

Postby mclarke825 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Bluebird wrote:
Maestri09 wrote:reminds me of "hey jude" :)
yep, and all the other beatles classics " Get back" and " Paberback writer".

I think he may have been referring to the Hey Jude album. I noticed that similarity right away. I used to have HJ on vinyl before having to sell a lot of records for rent money years ago. I was disappointed at first that it wasn't released on CD, until I realized that Past Masters vol 2 more than made up for it. It doesn't waste time with the two songs from A Hard Day's Night (which I always thought were out of place on HJ), but replaces them with two of the best non-album-single songs, "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out". Then it follows almost the same track list as HJ, but adding the songs that were missing ("The Inner Light" and the single version of "Get Back"). Then it adds a few more for good measure, such as the "wildlife" version of "Across the Universe" and the single version of "Let It Be" with its wonderful B-side, "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)". All in all, a superior album, not just a pointless compilation. I think the strength of the material makes it as good as any of their regular albums.
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Re:

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:09 pm

HeyJude wrote:YKMN is flat out fabulous, man!

In the voice of comic book guy Worst Beatle track ever!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums