Was John a great musican??

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Was John a great musican??

Postby graecophilos88 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm

what do you mean with "the voice and bass down"?

i must admit that I never liked Paul. I had to admit that his melodys stuck to your mind earlier and mor eoften that John's songs and some of John's songs are pretty similar (Jealous Guy - Whatever Get You Through The Night) Paul has more chords and so on.

so, if you'd have to judge variety and melody Paul was better. But John's songs are much more personal and don't lack teh depth that soem Paul songs do.

since last year I like Paul pretty much. Through a certain event in my life I learned how lucky and strong Paul's music can make you.
graecophilos88

Postby maccamania102 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Mini wrote:John's great "avant-garde" guitar playing on Walking On Thin Ice has also gone unnoticed.

Actually, at the time it wasn't unnoticed. It had been said to be the best guitar playing of his career.
maccamania102

Postby AmandaJo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 pm

You know, I used to hold John in high esteem as both a lyricist and a musician, but then I started listening to more MaccaRadio, and I have to say, especially on 2 for Tuesdays, I dread seeing John's name up next on the list almost as much as Ringo's. His lyrical ability is next to nothing post-beatles, I think because he ruined his mind with the drugs, including the Yukko drug. And as for his musical ability, well lets just say that on some of his songs, I can play as well as he does and I am a self taught chord banger. I think his untimely and unfair demise rose him to a higher status then he would have had had he continued living and creating music. Don't get me wrong, there are some John songs I like, but on the whole I would have to say, meh. :roll:
Amanda Jo

~Psalm 100:1-2 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.~

http://www.myspace.com/therealamandajo
AmandaJo
Supporter
Supporter

Postby nerktwin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:49 pm

If you compare him to McCartney and knowing how to play alot of instruments- then no. But he knew that himself.
nerktwin

Postby Bluebird » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:13 pm

There are lots of definations about a great musician, but the 2 most important are very different.

The Technically part: Educated musicians who have studied music and can play everything when they get the notes. These often play fast if they´re guitarists, and make big entertainment on scenes. Those are like: Yngwie malmsteen, Joe Satriani and the ones from Dream Theather.

The Feeling part: The one who plays exactly what comes from the heart. Not the most minded for music, but the take out from themselves what they feel and move it to the music. Those people end up being legends. Those are like John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix and Bob Dylan.

It´s an endless discussion who you define as the greatest. I´ve made my own scale:

1 = Only feelings with just a little bit understanding of the chords.
2 = Mostly feelings with a knowledge of the most important musically things.
3 = Half feelings half technically
4 = A technically minded musician who has less feelings and more technic.
5 = Only technically musician with just a little bit of soul.

All of them in theory can be a definition of a great musician, i´m tended to be somewhere in the middle.

I think John was about 2 and Paul was about 3.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Previous

Return to JOHN