should leonard cohen be in hall of fame before ringo?

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: should leonard cohen be in hall of fame before ringo?

Postby A. » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:12 am

I'll try:

King crimson
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Genesis
Peter Gabriel
even Electric Light Orchestra

just a few of them.

Now, as much as I love Ringo I would not dare to claim that a singer of - great BTW - IT DON'T COME EASY -should be there instead of those, who created DANCING WITH THE MOONLIGHT KNIGHT, EPITAPH, DON'T GIVE UP or SWEET TALKING WOMAN... Would you ?
A.

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:34 pm

I still haven't seen a post from one person explaining to me why Ringo's 'Solo' career deserves consideration for the RNR Hall of Fame. Anyone?!?
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby flextint » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:41 pm

well thats the point of this thread really,ringo is not being considered for an induction.But there will be groups or solo acts that will get in that are not rock and roll .That is the real argument.A .put a list out and to me it is incredible that fleetwood mac is in before genesis.What is the critera for being considered to be in the hall that is the question.
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:27 pm

The :puker Hall of Fame :pukel has turned into such a joke, that it would not surprise me one bit if :puker Paris Hilton :pukel is inducted 25 years from now!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby flextint » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:11 pm

As always,well put guru.well put indeed.
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:33 pm

maccamania102 wrote:I can appreciate artists and music and the marks they have made, without them being my taste in music.

But I think there are alot of other artists out there that are more deserving to be in the Hall of Fame over Ringo's solo career.

gonna have to agree with this...(along with rickstark and A.)

i love ringo. but he doesn't really deserve the RARHOF. there are, however, more than a few inductees that reflect early pioneers, influencial acts, and technical-behind the scene accomplishments. not everyone has to have recorded a face melting guitar solo to be considered rock and roll. sometimes just being a building block in something that is to become rock and roll is merit enough.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:33 am

As an artist, composer and poet Leonard Cohen are among the true greats. With all respect for Ringo he is none of the above. He is a likeable person, great drummer and lucky enought to spend his youth in the Beatles. Otherwise its not fait to compare these two people artistically
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby drivinfan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:48 pm

What annoys me is that John was inducted 5 years before Paul...now that's ridiculous, Jan!
Met Paul at Soundcheck - 8/14/10
drivinfan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Scott Dossett » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:21 pm

RickStark79 wrote:I still haven't seen a post from one person explaining to me why Ringo's 'Solo' career deserves consideration for the RNR Hall of Fame. Anyone?!?

Yeah Rick...that's the problem. I/we seem to say that Ringo should be in the RARHOF if "so and so" got in and if they're in then Ringo should be in...The main problem with the Rock Hall, in my opinion, is that some groups get in that don't deserve it and we begin to lessen the criteria when that happens.

First of all, the name itself is kinda ridiculous...Rock-n-Roll comes from the 1950's and it doesn't sound like the majority of the music/musicians that has/have been elected since they ran out of 50's musicians to elect. If anything, they should call it the Music HOF and that way they could elect any group from any genre of music and not piss so many people off. I'm sure they feel pressured from the networks to elect 5 or 6 every year in order to make their TV show last the allotted amount of time that sponsors have paid to sponsor.

It is my strong opinion that a group like Jethro Tull should be included because they were/are a group that is unique and influencial. Tull is like no other group...Rock Flute ? You gotta be kidding me ! But Ian Anderson pulls it off plus his vocals have a unique sound and therefore they should be included. When a Tull song is played that I've never heard...I still know its Tull...Try that with other bands that have been elected.

Obviously Tull isn't the only group like this but I was just using them as an example...I can't believe The Moody Blues, Slade or ELO aren't in either because they've all influenced many other groups but yet they have their unique sound that has never been duplicated by others.

Sorry for the rant but if you really think about it...The Beatles aren't really "Rock-n-Roll" either...only a few of their songs could be classified as RAR.

p.s. I do feel that Ringo should be inducted for the simple reason that many many of today's famouse drummers have said that Ringo was a major influence on them deciding to be a drummer...In fact, I've heard many say that he was the first drummer that anyone knew the name of...I know...you're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition :roll:

p.s.s. I've actually been to the HOF in Cleveland, Ohio, and I must say that I had a great time...I went for the John Lennon exhibit in the late 90's and it was just great...had lots of Beatles' gear, guitars, drum sticks, etc. If you ever get a chance to visit, I highly recommend it eventhough its election process is flawed, in my opinion. :salute
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Postby RickStark79 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:27 pm

Scott Dossett wrote:
RickStark79 wrote:p.s. I do feel that Ringo should be inducted for the simple reason that many many of today's famouse drummers have said that Ringo was a major influence on them deciding to be a drummer...In fact, I've heard many say that he was the first drummer that anyone knew the name of...I know...you're not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition :roll:

Right, but this is because he was in the Beatles, which of course, he's already inducted. Ringo's solo career deserves ZERO consideration as a potential second time inductee. He's got a handful of solo hits, but come on.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO