The REAL last interview with John and Yoko 12/6/80

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

The REAL last interview with John and Yoko 12/6/80

Postby sps314 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Some years ago someone let me borrow some cassette tapes of a tribute to John broadcast on a BBC afiliate in NYC and taped. Sound quality wasn't too bad so I thought I'd borrow them again and bring them into the digital age forever.
I cleaned up the sound as best I could with a digital EQ and transferred it to what became 3 CD's.
Where they talked about certain music, if available to me (most of which was since I am a collector of all things Beatle), I added it to the transfer as it's own track.
This was a labor of love for me and am very proud of this rare find. The person who had the original tapes also happy to have a permanent copy before the acetate tape dis-integrated.
It was an interview with Andy Peebles of the BBC, in New York City, 12/6/80, a little less than 46 hours before John was murdered. This is really a beautiful interview and a beautiful time in John's life. He says so in the interview.
I recently came across the full transcript of this interview in paperback form, only released in the UK by BBC Press with proceeds being donated to charity. Of course, as one of few who even know of this interview, much less have a copy, I feel I was supposed to come across this on the day I did. It was just too perfect.
If anyone wants more info on how to get a copy, feel free to contact me. I want to share this with fans. I hope I can get Mike a copy to play on Macca-radio. email rockanroll72@yahoo.com
Last edited by sps314 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Schroeder
sps314

Re: The REAL last interview with John and Yoko 12/6/80

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:48 pm

I remember this interview very well broadcast on BBC Radio 1. I think it was in two or three parts. I did make a copy at the time but could never bring myself to listen to it back so it ended up getting taped over. :(
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sps314 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:53 pm

That's great! I knew there would be some who remembered it! If you'd like a copy for yourself, let me know. I only ask that you pay for shipping. Everything else is on me. It's too good to be lost forever. Good day!
Shawn Schroeder
sps314

Postby beatlelarry » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

While we're on the subject, how does everyone think John's career would have been had he been around today? I, for one, would have loved to hear new Lennon music in 2008. Still and always will be a tragedy. John's first two solo LPs rank up there with the Beatles best. Comments?
beatlelarry
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:56 pm

I had, probably still have somewhere in storage, that interview book...heard the interview years ago around '80-'81 as well. As as John today, no telling how much music or other art he'd be doing...my hope is that his heart and soul would've ended up as at peace as George's did...that's what matters most. He was certainly in a great place, at a great point in his life when he passed. My fave John stuff is: #1-Double Fantasy/Milk & Honey- 1980 materail; Imagine (tied) #2-Plastic Ono Band #3-Mind Games; Walls & Bridges (tied) #4- Rock 'n' Roll #5- Sometime In New York City (which is still partly great)...LOVE Live Peace In Toronto, like John Lennon Live In New York a lot...LOVE John Lennon Anthology...best of of your choice with non-LP singles is essential...Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Tammy Tingles » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:41 am

Hi,

> I recently came across the full transcript of this interview in paperback form, only released in the UK by BBC Press with proceeds being donated to charity. Of course, as one of few who even know of this interview, much less have a copy, I feel I was supposed to come across this on the day I did. It was just too perfect.
If anyone wants more info on how to get a copy, feel free to contact me. I want to share this with fans. I hope I can get Mike a copy to play on Macca-radio. email rockanroll72@yahoo.com[/quote]

Sorry to tell you this but that interview was actually officially released on cd by the BBC, tho the radio broadcast that you transferred does have some comments that were edited out for the cd issue.

Also this wasnt John's final interview, that was conducted by RKO radio from San Francisco on the afternoon of December the 8th at the Dakota, in fact the raw tapes are in the hands of collectors and one of the last things you here on the tape is Yoko asking if the car is ready to take them to the studio.

Greg xoxo
With Paul .. you dont stop falling in love,
even after 35 years i'm still tumbling through Paul's time and space and grabbing hold of all the stars and light he puts out there for us.
Tammy Tingles

Postby Harrythebannister » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Tammy Tingles wrote:Sorry to tell you this but that interview was actually officially released on cd by the BBC, tho the radio broadcast that you transferred does have some comments that were edited out for the cd issue.

Also this wasnt John's final interview, that was conducted by RKO radio from San Francisco on the afternoon of December the 8th at the Dakota, in fact the raw tapes are in the hands of collectors and one of the last things you here on the tape is Yoko asking if the car is ready to take them to the studio.

Greg xoxo

Chilling!!!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Tammy Tingles wrote:Also this wasnt John's final interview, that was conducted by RKO radio from San Francisco on the afternoon of December the 8th at the Dakota, in fact the raw tapes are in the hands of collectors and one of the last things you here on the tape is Yoko asking if the car is ready to take them to the studio.

Yeah that's pretty haunting.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sps314 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Ok, so new info has been made available to me about John's REAL last interview with RKO. I would love to hear this interview! I have not heard of the "official" release of the BBC interview. Anyone know where I can find it? I want to compare what was edited out in their form. Does theirs have the music embedded?
Shawn Schroeder
sps314

Return to JOHN