Yoko Ono Sues Singer For Using The Name Lennon

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:52 am

Tuesday February 12, 2008

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2008/02/1207.cfm

Lennon Murphy

Yoko Ono has filed a lawsuit against American singer Lennon Murphy for using the last name of her late husband.

Murphy's mother named her Lennon after the former Beatles member. She's been performing under the Lennon moniker since 1997 and used it when she was signed by Arista Records in 2000.

"My product manager at Arista was ironically the son of the lawyer who actually represents Yoko," Murphy wrote in a MySpace blog entry last week. "So he approached Yoko, to make her aware of the use, evidently giving her blessing as Arista proceeded forward with the album release and at the same time filing for the trademark," which was granted in 2003.

While we empathize with Murphy's situation, we hope her songwriting makes more sense than this next passage from her blog:

"8 long hard years pass and no one says a word. Just 2 days before the statue of limitations was up this very same lawyer we went to in 2000 filed their complain. I accusing me of falsly representing myself and causing confusion in the market place that has damaged to the John Lennon name."

Murphy says she can't afford to hire a lawyer and fight the suit, claiming that she hasn't worked since October and lives on just enough to get her through until she can start touring again. "I have no idea what I'm going to do yet in this situation, and I'm stressed, angry, and scared," she wrote.

"I'm pissed and hurt that someone in Yoko's position has nothing better to do than f**k with my life, and collect the $25,000,000 a year that the John Lennon estate brings in. Yes, this is a real number or close enough to it. This is how I look at it. With that kind of income she probably pays more in taxes every year the you or I will make in our whole life time. So what do I have that can be of such value to her after 8 years. I don't want to lose my name all because someone is bored in their life of luxury."

Interestingly, Julian Lennon (John Lennon's son from his first wife, Cynthia Lennon) has posted Murphy's entry on his MySpace blog page with a heading that says: "Sad but True & interesting........... I feel for her & know the situation well."

According to the bio on Murphy's MySpace page, this isn't the first bit of bad luck she's encountered. She's endured tour bus accidents, had to fight for the custody of her young sister after the death of their only parent, and had her debut album, 5:30 Saturday Morning, released by Arista on the fateful day of Sept. 11, 2001, when terrorists launched four suicide attacks in the U.S. that claimed 3,000 lives. Arista subsequently dropped Murphy.

Murphy's latest independent album is the appropriately titled Damaged Goods.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Yoko Ono Sues Singer For Using The Name Lennon

Postby james1985 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 am

that's probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:01 am

Yoko, for now, is giving the artist doing this artist a huge favour by giving her huge publicity for the new album.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mageestout » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:31 pm

This is about as intelligent as WARNER BROTHERS suing THE MARX BROTHERS for using "Casablanca" in the title of their film "A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA."

Groucho wisely responded by stating that he would sue WARNER BROTHERS for using 'brothers", since THE MARX BROTHERS have been around longer than the WARNER BROTHERS.

kudos to Genuine_Indian_Guru's observation

Ha
mageestout

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:48 am

It's the girl's NAME for god's sake! John wasn't even the only John Lennon in the world, I'm sure (he was just the famous one), so I don't understand Yoko making any kind of stink about this one. Strange. Did Paul sue Jesse McCartney?
ahawk66

Postby JimmyMcCullochFan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:59 pm

Now Yoko is saying that she never even sued her.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:25 am

james1985 wrote:that's probably the stupidest thing i've ever heard!

Didn't Oliver Hardy say that??

But yeah you're right this is nonsensical. Let's hope that Liam Gallaghers son never get's a career in music! :roll:
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jjs » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 pm

None of this surprises me.

If you want to know what Yoko is really capable of, search online for interviews with Jack Douglas, regarding Yoko's treatment of him after John's murder.

Jack was a friend of John's and he produced the "Double Fantasy" sessions (and therefore John's tracks on "Milk And Honey"). After John's murder, Yoko tried to screw Jack out of his due royalties and discredit him, but failed. She tried to make him look like a nobody who stole from John, enlisting her army of minions (including Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone) to do so. Jack was an accomplished producer who was mentioned in Rolling Stone several times.

As near as Jack could tell (because he was truly dumbfounded), all this happened because he "knew too much". (This same tactic worked on Fred Seaman BTW)

The suit ended in Douglas' favor, with the judge yelling at Yoko for her antics. The interview is a must-read and it sums up Yoko, and her manipulation of John and his legacy, perfectly.
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:12 pm

jjs wrote:None of this surprises me.

If you want to know what Yoko is really capable of, search online for interviews with Jack Douglas, regarding Yoko's treatment of him after John's murder.

Jack was a friend of John's and he produced the "Double Fantasy" sessions (and therefore John's tracks on "Milk And Honey"). After John's murder, Yoko tried to screw Jack out of his due royalties and discredit him, but failed. She tried to make him look like a nobody who stole from John, enlisting her army of minions (including Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone) to do so. Jack was an accomplished producer who was mentioned in Rolling Stone several times.

As near as Jack could tell (because he was truly dumbfounded), all this happened because he "knew too much". (This same tactic worked on Fred Seaman BTW)

The suit ended in Douglas' favor, with the judge yelling at Yoko for her antics. The interview is a must-read and it sums up Yoko, and her manipulation of John and his legacy, perfectly.

I should have said: This same tactic of discrediting worked on Fred Seaman. Fred is someone else who was also close to John that "knew too much".
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 am

She's just bored, that's all... :roll:
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Return to JOHN