Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8 (whole album)

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8 (whole album)

Postby EddieV » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:05 am

Too much middle of the road, no edges. Too much Ringo. I guess by Ringo it is OK. He uses the old Beatle format to create his songs

He really needs some good songwriters to write for him, like on RINGO!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JimQ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:55 pm

God bless him but liverpool 8 is one of the most awful songs i've ever heard
JimQ

Postby cleptosid » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I bought it today and It was just as bad as when i first listened via this thread. But one thing I did notice is that in the title track Liverpool 8 at the very end I swear its some gibberish from revolution #9. and the whole melody of the chorus is the same as a slower paced "Snookeroo" Well It's an attractive CD cover it looks nice with the others.. And it was only $9.72 at Wal-Mart.
Every morning brings a new day
cleptosid

Postby linclink » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:04 pm

I really love the new single, "Liverpool 8". "Love Is" is Ringo at his most heartfelt, moving and sincere; tied with the single for my favorite track. Two real unique and oddballish tracks that I really dig too are "R U Ready", and "Pasodobles". So 4 outright great tracks, which is not too shabby an outing at all. I like "Harry's Song", "Give it a Try", & "If it's Love That You Want" alright: so that's another 3 that are at least above average. That's 7 of 12 that I'd come back to. The remaining 5 tracks aren't as bad as the Ringo solo of the days after "Goodnight Vienna", and before "Time Takes Time", but they are OK at best and more honestly truly nondescript and mediocre. I toss the top 4 tracks on a comp CD of Ringo stuff (and the lesser 3 could see other play sometime again too, but not often) but overall it's certainly a come down from the surprisingly high standards that were maintained starting with "Time Takes Time" and continuing up to "Choose Love". Some of those albums were arguably better than others, and there were lesser tracks, but overall they felt a good step above what we've got here. That's to say they were all terrific albums, period. I gave up on Ringo sometime around the time he gave up recording. By the end of the 80's I was disgusted with both he and McCArtney's work. It should be noted that I think "Flowers In The Dirt", and "Time Takes Time" are both great albums. I came back to Ringo around "Choose Love", and Macca during "Chaos & Creation...". Back to Ringo's most recent, this is certainly not a "bad" album by any means, and it does have some real high points, and I'd really rather keep the focus on the positive side. All things considered, only the aforementioned recent quartet of albums, and "Ringo" are outright better works. This is up there with, and probably actually better than, "Goodnight Vienna", or "Beaucoups of Blues" Enjoy & Blessings!!!!!!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:35 am

yeah, it's not a bad record, probably will be one of the most-endearing of 08, but still feels disappointing when held-up
against the likes of Vertical Man and Ringo Rama.

On a side-note, who's gonna buy Mark Hudson's solo-record when he releases it?
I know I am.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby tristanjblythe » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:06 am

I like this album. I actually rate it above Ringo Rama but below Vertical Man.

The stand out tracks for me are: R U Ready, Gone are the Days, Liverpool 8 and Pasodobles (which sounds like a Goodnight Vienna outtake to me). Some of the others are just by the numbers Starr/Hudson tracks (i.e. Think About You).
tristanjblythe

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:30 pm

tristanjblythe wrote:I like this album. I actually rate it above Ringo Rama but below Vertical Man.

The stand out tracks for me are: R U Ready, Gone are the Days, Liverpool 8 and Pasodobles (which sounds like a Goodnight Vienna outtake to me). Some of the others are just by the numbers Starr/Hudson tracks (i.e. Think About You).

I love these lines from Gone Are The Days

" I hope you'll find what you're looking for. / You could choose love, it's an open-door. / "
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby ahawk66 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 pm

how are the sales? anyone hear any early returns?
ahawk66

Postby Harrythebannister » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:35 pm

It's number 1 here in the UK.......only kidding!! :)
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:20 pm

Finally got 'round to playing this at last and it's not a great album, but it's OK. Highpoints are Liverpool 8, Gone Are The Days & If It's Love That You Want. Lowpoints are Pasodobles (Sorry Ringo but you sound like a pub singer in this one) and the album ends with a whimper with Love Is & R U Ready.

Maybe Ringo's partnership with Mark Hudson was past it's sellby date and it wasn't such a bad idea they parted company after all.

What I'd like to see now is Ringo & Dave Stewart sit down and start a new album from scratch!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO