Kids have no idea about music

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Kids have no idea about music

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:42 pm

I do a lot of volunteer work with kids between the ages of 12-16. You would be amazed at how little they know about the Beatles and how many of them don't know who Paul McCartney is?? I always think the Beatles will be like Gershwin always out there - but after this generation x (And i'm 2nd generation cause i was born after Pepper) fades - i think you will see a different history on the Beatles impact.

There's a girl in the office who is 25 and she didn't know who George Harrison is and didn't know any Beatles records and few Beatles songs. A lot of people from NYC who are African-American or Latin don't have the same 2nd or third generation connection to the Beatles.

I think the Beatles impact is much more pronounced in the white suburbs and i think their impact beyond that is not as popular as you would think.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:44 pm

Another interesting topic around the water cooler is the impact upon today's music - one of the things that i think is true is that James Brown has a bigger impact on today's sound than Elvis or the Beatles. IF you think about it, Brown was a pioneer in hip-hop, soul, R and B and many of the sounds you here today. If you really study it, pop and Rock is at its lowest ebb since 1980's...
Beatles impact and Presley's impact on today's music isn't that great. I really feel that Hip-hop and neo-soul is more of a descendant of James Brown than anything else.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Mon Sep 23, 2002 3:58 am

Given what kids hear on the radio, it's little wonder that they are so ignorant about the Beatles.
I would also like to add that they don't even know what Rock and roll is either. I am only generalizing here, but I have co workers in their 20s who listen to Rap and those little girl and boy bands out there-pop music all day and I am totally gagging! Sorry.
They actually BUY that stuff. Incredible.
I am just amazed at how little talent they are willing to settle for.
I know there are lots of young people who are hip to RNR and they know who the Beatles are.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 7:10 am

It is very disturbing. But I don't think the kids are to blame - it's the record bosses, who are signing up all these talentless acts and flooding the market with all this sh!t - they're all just in it for a quick buck. Cheap thrills . . . [REACHES FOR SICK BAG]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:27 am

And then the "hard music" from today: Nu Metal. Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, or whatever. If you think that's hard, listen to Long Tall Sally. Or RDR if you want it to be recent.

Korn, LB and LP are just like N*Sync. The only difference is that they're holding guitars and don't look as nice.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:29 am

In short, all a load of cr@p. I mean, it shouldn't matter what people look like, really, should it! It's just silly! Good music should not have these divides!
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:30 am

By the way, Brains, have I ever said that your English is outstanding? Because it is. [:)]
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:39 am

Why, thank you Liam [8D]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:43 am

You are quite welcome! Better than my foreign languages right now - it's been two years since I last spoke any French, Spanish or Italian, and four years since I last spoke any German - my foreign languages are so rusty they're falling off their hinges!
Liam OSM

Postby Brains » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:50 am

Everybody can speak English here. Everybody used to be able to speak German, but then 60 years ago it suddenly lost a lot of its popularity. Lord knows why...

I don't think there are many Englishmen even trying to speak any foreign language, since you don't really have to. Half the world can understand English. Nobody outside Holland speaks Dutch, so it's important for us to be able to speak a little German and French and a lot of English.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions