Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8 (whole album)

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8 (whole album)

Postby macho » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 am

The Melbourne newspaper, The Herald Sun, has put the whole of Ringo's new album "Liverpool 8" on their web page for hear :D

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 02,00.html

all the best!
mac
macho

Re: Ringo Starr - Liverpool 8 (whole album)

Postby baal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:21 am

I'm not feeling it at all.
baal

Postby cleptosid » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:26 am

Typical Ringo album without a novelty hit included. The only reason I'll get it is because it's Ringo. Unless there is a DVD or some other added extra after hearing it here I'll probably never even take the CD out of its case. I just think this is a collection of songs that nobody will want to listen to again. Sorry Ringo and Ringo fans but this one is a real stinker..
Every morning brings a new day
cleptosid

Postby baal » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Well I didn't like to say. I haven't heard any Ringo solo-albums before this (keep meaning to check out 'Ringo' from 1973 but probably never will) and I certainly don't seem to have been missing anything.
baal

Postby cleptosid » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Originally I thought myself too harsh on the criticism of Ringo's latest but after a second go round I stand firm on my original assessment. This is just not good at all. It reminds me of the type of nonsense that was released on Ringo the 4th, Stop and smell the roses, Bad boy and Old Wave. Ringo in my opinion needs as what I referred to in my original post a "Novelty Hit" to make a substantial or minimal impact on the charts or just plain old sell over 10,000 copies. What is a novelty hit? A novelty hit is something along the lines of No, No song, You're Sixteen or Only You. All these songs are "Cute and Catchy" that will have people singing the lyrics for a few weeks then that song slips into obscurity. These novelty tunes usually feature another Beatle or well known star performing on them. To the Beatle faithfuls most of Ringo's songs are very recognizable and often known well enough to recite most lyrics that a non or casual Beatle fan will never be able to utter two words of the song because they never heard of it much less the album it is from. I think Ringo has let the well run dry so to speak as far as original material goes. I like the all star band thing but then again there is an entire album that is considered "Novelty" Once an artist has to transpose the key's of their material in order to hit notes that they can't naturally hit anymore I believe it's time to quit before they embarrass themselves. Unimpressive melodies, no instrumental magic moments on this album at all. It sounds almost as if when writing these songs he was going, Hair, Chair - Sun - Fun to find a word that rhymes with the end of a word that concluded the prior section of a verse or chorus. Choose Love (Ringo's prior effort - 2005) is no masterpiece by any means but compared to Liverpool 8 it is. Unless Ritchie can get back to recording the Cute catchy novelty themed song I would not look forward to another release. This is one that I will not be making plans to purchase on release date But eventually I'll get it because he's Ringo. Very disappointing album.
cleptosid

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:54 am

Well, after a couple listens to Liverpool 8...

It's no Ringo Rama or Vertical Man, but it's another Choose Love, which was pretty good...

It just don't get me going like RR/VM. Still good though and I'll still buy it and listen to it occasionally.
----
I saw somebody here make a comment about "not missing" anything apparently after hearing Liverpool 8,
so you're going to judge a whole artist by only ONE of their records? please...

Give Ringo Rama and Vertical Man a listen.
I once said Vertical Man is in my top10 solo-beatle records!
I stand by that.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jamie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:55 pm

not a good album - and issued for all the wrong reasons - time to retire Ringo!
HEAPS OF BEATLES MEMORABILIA AT :
http://www.aceltdsports.com
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Awesoman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:37 pm

cleptosid wrote:Typical Ringo album without a novelty hit included. The only reason I'll get it is because it's Ringo. Unless there is a DVD or some other added extra after hearing it here I'll probably never even take the CD out of its case. I just think this is a collection of songs that nobody will want to listen to again. Sorry Ringo and Ringo fans but this one is a real stinker..

Here's a novel idea: why purchase it at all then?
Awesoman

Postby cleptosid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Awesoman wrote:Here's a novel idea: why purchase it at all then?

Because i'm a collector as well as a fan
cleptosid

Postby A. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:53 am

I would love "love is" if not for a cheesy chorus :/

the title track is nice also (would be better if not for this "lalala" part in the end)

Overall however - I think it's quite an average album. :(

ps. Vertical man is a really nice album laz :)
A.

Next

Return to RINGO