MACCA Radio off for short while, now back on

News & Announcements, Updates, Information about MACCA Central's websites and internet radio station, MACCA Radio - Beatles, Solo & Friends, The Voice of The Beatles.

Moderator: Mike

MACCA Radio off for short while, now back on

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am

Due to lack of finacial support, MACCA Radio is temporarily off-the-air.
December donations brought in $95 and so far just $20 has come in for January.
All donations are so much appreciated but we need more to make this work folks.
I can no longer personally subsidize MACCA Radio every month.
So, it's up to you, if you feel MACCA Radio is worth it please consider a contribution.

http://www.macca-central.com/maccaradio/support.php
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Re: MACCA Radio off-the-air for now

Postby jgkojak » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:48 pm

Mike- I wish I could contribute something.

This blog is still first-rate. Have you considered experimenting with 1 or 2 hour broadcasts at appointed times-- i.e. Friday Night bootlegs, etc. or posting podcasts of Breakfast w/Beatles.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:01 pm

No part-time broadcasting as it will more of a hassle to setup each time as I spent so much time developing the application and customize coding for the station automation.

I've considered a free/premium service before and I think it's time to actually put it together. I'm thinking it should go something like this.

FREE: A limited number of free slots @ 32k bps standard mp3 stream (maybe MP3Pro) for those who want to listen but don't want to or can't contribute. I'm testing that now, it will be a first come first serve basis . When the slots fill up, your out of luck.

PREMIUM: For those who contribute, there will be a premium quality stream available to them. Though AAC Plus is way better sound quality most use the MP3 Pro stream. I may have to provide both streams, MP3 Pro and AAC Plus
Mike

Postby bfmqw2s » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:05 pm

Mike-I was wondering where my daily fix went. I just sent a donation. Gosh...I hope others do to, I listen all day at work.
Avid Beatle Fan, from the original days.
bfmqw2s
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Thank you man. Don't worry, I'll get something going for you guys, I will not leave people who contribute hanging.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby bfmqw2s » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Thanks. It sure makes the day at work go alot faster when I have my Beatle Fix. When I found your site, it was like I died and went to heaven. I went on to contribute last year, but PayPal didn't recognize my log in. So I finally go it fixed. Trust me, I'll send more later if it means keeping it going.- susan
Avid Beatle Fan, from the original days.
bfmqw2s
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I rethought the Premium scenario and for now I'm deciding not to do that, but keep it free for everyone. My direct question to all is this. What can I do to entice listeners to donate ? I'm going to try to increase the bitrate quality to either 96k or 128k and keep it free. I notice other radio stations put quick 10 or 15 second promos between all songs. I have traditionally just put the donation request at the top of the hour.
Mike

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 pm

"I need a fix 'cos I'm going down..." :lol: Same thing here really. I think Mike's idea is good and hope he will be able to put it into practice soon so that we get our daily fix again :)

Also I'm glad someone finally seems to have the same PayPal problem as I do - would be interesting to know how you "fixed" it. I signed up for a monthly subscription in order to contribute my tiny grain of salt of $ 10, and the amount was debited alright, but I couldn't find my name among those who had made donations. No big deal - I don't have a violent craving for fame or displaying my "generosity" (if it can be called such), but now that my daily fix will depend on the subscription, I have to insist (sorry, I was going to PM Mike about this, but no longer can't, so I'll have to share my problems with everyone who cares to read on). My PayPal name is the same as my email address, i.e. anitato..., and I couldn't make out any slot where to fit my Macca Central name in, so I suppose my donation (which I hope has reached Macca Central because as I said, debited it was) went unidentified. So please note that anitato... = Cologne girl (if there is no other way of solving this), and - as soon as you have put up the new system - put an end to my "Cold Turkey" - thank you :)

Good luck anyhow :)
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I saw that coming in, I really thought I credited you, hmmm. I check into that and make sure you get credit. What would help is if the emails match, when they don't I have difficulty trying to match a name with a member thus one may slip by now and then. Private messages will remain disabled, for now, feel free to email me mike@macca-central.com anytime.

Anyways, MACCA Radio and it's point system is unique not only amongst all the Beatle type radio stations but of the vast majority of internet radio stations. There are very few stations that allow fans to pick songs the queue up for air play. That alone should draw attention but I spent so much time first designing and then fixing the Request system, that I failed to promote it both on the site and on the air. I will have to come up with more effective means to let the occasional visitor and listener how powerful The Voice of The Beatles really is.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:28 am

Hey Mike, what about adding bootleg stuff to the request list?! Like for me, I love the station, but I have every single song on my iPod/PC, so it's easier just to throw that on most of the time. I know I would listen a lot more if there were some rare tracks available.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Site News, Announcements