should leonard cohen be in hall of fame before ringo?

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: should leonard cohen be in hall of fame before ringo?

Postby A. » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:49 am

well - are paul simon & art garufnkel in a hall of fame? I think yes - would you call their music rock?
It's rather folkish, isn't it?
So this name "rock' roll hall of fame" is in fact a simplification - it covers almost alll popular music.

If we accept this, I think that the man, who wrote suzzane, winter lady and came so far for beauty does deserve to be there. Don't know if Ringo does as far as his solo career is concerned - sorry :(
A.

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:37 am

Yeah, I don't know much about Leonard Cohen, but I do hear his name a lot when artists name theif influences. So in that respect, I can see why he would get the nod.

But for anyone who thinks Ringo should be in the Hall of Fame for his solo career, ask yourself this: If Ringo wasn't a Beatle, and had the exact same solo output, would he warrant consideration for the Hall of Fame?!? The answer is NO!!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:45 am

RickStark79 wrote:Yeah, I don't know much about Leonard Cohen, but I do hear his name a lot when artists name theif influences. So in that respect, I can see why he would get the nod.

But for anyone who thinks Ringo should be in the Hall of Fame for his solo career, ask yourself this: If Ringo wasn't a Beatle, and had the exact same solo output, would he warrant consideration for the Hall of Fame?!? The answer is NO!!

I'm still pissed off that Madonna is being inducted. Give me a break.
gfgb123

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:26 am

flextint wrote:I always thought rock n roll hall of fame was about rock and roll.Leonard cohen and i were born in the same town montreal .I know his music well and his poetry.Never did i consider him a rocker a songwriter yes people may know suzzane which was his famous poem first then a popular song.What makes an artist worthy?dark songs of desparation created for a certain intellect?Ringo is the everyman rocker he had many hits after the beatles "PHOTOGRAPH" "IT DONT COME EASY" ETC. I think that the fact he still records new music today says something.He is not going to write leonard cohen type songs but all music he does is easy to listen to. he wont bring you to a tear but he makes music for the masses and it will be fun straight rock n roll. Whats wrong with that for a rock and roll hall of fame?D'on't get me started picking the better singing voice.

Well....if we use this philosophy, Bob Dylan should not be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Leonard Cohen's genres and subject matters resemble Dylan closely in many ways. And I would not call Dylan's voice soothing or great, by any means. But his voice fit his music, just as Cohen's did.
maccamania102

Postby flextint » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:41 pm

electric bob dylan not a rocker?Neil young had a folkish career before crazy horse didN't he?Simon and Garfunkel were soft rock sometimes weren't they.I don't hear people talk about cohen as influences.Springsteen no paul macca no.Name the rock n roll groups that say leonard cohen influenced their group.Ringo 's drumming has influenced some groups like oasis .Leonard Cohen will always be known as a poet first ,recording artist second.Ringo 's life is music always was always will be.Cohen was always a poet not a musician.think about it..,
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccamania102 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:01 am

Songs are simply poetry set to music....think about it.

Elton John, Don Henley, Bono, Billy Joel, Sting, Peter Gabriel, Aaron Neville, Suzanne Vega, Willie Nelson, Tori Amos, Trisha Yearwood are just a few of who have cited Cohen as an influence and even got together and recorded Tower of Song: The Songs of Leonard Cohen. There have been over 1200 covers are Cohen songs released. Cohen was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 1991.

Yes, Ringo's drumming influenced groups, then he should be in the PAS Hall of Fame....which he is and was inducted in 2002.
maccamania102

Postby flextint » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:01 pm

Never tell a poet that!Britney spears is not a poet nor are the spice girls etc.Bono may like leonard songs but he is not an influence. u2 was influenced by punk rock maybe even the beatles but not leonard.You make some strong points maccamania but in the end no one is really right are wrong it really depends on taste in music.In this case the music tastes of the voters of the hall of fame.
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccamania102 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:37 am

flextint wrote:Never tell a poet that!Britney spears is not a poet nor are the spice girls etc.Bono may like leonard songs but he is not an influence. u2 was influenced by punk rock maybe even the beatles but not leonard.You make some strong points maccamania but in the end no one is really right are wrong it really depends on taste in music.In this case the music tastes of the voters of the hall of fame.

In U2's own words....he was an influence:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml
maccamania102

Postby maccamania102 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:44 am

I can appreciate artists and music and the marks they have made, without them being my taste in music.

But I think there are alot of other artists out there that are more deserving to be in the Hall of Fame over Ringo's solo career.
maccamania102

Postby flextint » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:34 am

name them .don't leave us hanging.
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO