Assasination of jesse James

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Assasination of jesse James

Postby james1985 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:33 am

saw this last night - fantastic! Great performance from brad Pitt and the two and a half hours fly by. really recommend it
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Assasination of jesse James

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:13 am

Assassination ? I don't think you can assassinate a criminal. Isn't that word saved for people with some dignity.
The American Heritage Dictionary wrote: defines "to assassinate":
. . . to murder [a prominent person] by surprise attack, as for political reasons;

Oxford English Dictionary wrote:The action of assassinating; the taking the life of any one by treacherous violence, esp. by a hired emissary, or one who has taken upon him to execute the deed.

As much as the movies would like to paint him a hero, wasn't he a murdering bank robber. Oh, yes he was. A poor misunderstood bank robber who really didn't mean to kill. Wikopedia: "Jesse deliberately shot a bystander student of William Jewell College", and during a robbery of the Daviess County Savings Association in Gallatin, Missouri, he shot and killed the cashier. He became such a public figure that the stupid politicians, (even in those days) almost granted him amnesty. Politicians still cave to public pressure and polls. Murder is murder whether its a bank cashier a student on the street or a 7-11 clerk. I hope this isn't a pure glorification of the legend. Does it show him as the good here, super cowboy guy or does it get into at all some of the bad things he did to innocent people? Does it show the bad things that happened to his family to justify the bad things he did ?

Saying that, I love a good movie, even a good cowboy one. Can't count how many times I've seen Tombstone and so on. Just something about a man who can beat up on a guy for looking at him the wrong way :) No really it's about the freedom of the wild west really. Riding those horses in the open country, that dramatic orchestra. Those were the days, no internet, no Wal-Mart, no toilet. You had kids for one reason, to work them day and night in the fields:) No, really, all kidding aside.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:29 pm

No, it does portray him as a screwed-up psycho! Robert Ford kills him because he's scared jesse will do the same to him, basically. And the film's pretty true to the history (or at least what I read on wikipedia this morning!)
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:17 pm

Sounds like a good movie. Gotta get Eastwood into one more western.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby chris » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:24 pm

just to throw my two cents in...i'm not sure i agree that the person getting killed has to be a good, honorable guy to call it an assasination. there are prominent bad guys. aren't there? jim jones. pol pot. stalin. hitler. if any of these guys would have taken a bullet to the back of the head...i'm quite sure it would have been considered an assasination. just sayin'.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:19 am

dang good movie: bit more of a flat-out drama/period piece than a 'western': reminds me more of great shows like 'unforgiven' and 'dances with wolves'...even 'open range', than any old fashioned western...

interesting that we get two really good westerns: this and '3:10 to yuma' back to back...and each, in thier own way, owes a huge debt to the variety of styles the esteemed mr eastwood (as well as others) has wrought upon the bland old western
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:00 am

Looking forward to the James movie.....though I must say, I thought '3:10 to yuma' was on of the worst movies I have ever seen...and I love westerns. Without giving anything away...I mean really...tie the guy up!! :roll:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:55 am

Saw the movie recently. Pretty realistic showing how life was mostly rural living. Long, long horse rides to get anywhere. My gosh, we went to Myrtle Beach through NY, Penn, West Virginia, Virginia, North & South Carolina in under 15 hours and going at 70 mph plus most of the way. These guys on horses robbing banks going state to state, must have taken weeks. What a hard life that must have been. Not horse riding, that's fun, robbing banks I mean :)

Movie moved too slow for me, too boring. I saw parts of 3:10 to Yuma and I liked it better, more a typical western.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby james1985 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:09 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Looking forward to the James movie.....though I must say, I thought '3:10 to yuma' was on of the worst movies I have ever seen...and I love westerns. Without giving anything away...I mean really...tie the guy up!! :roll:

I loved 3.10 to Yuma!

although it was a bit annoying how he kept escaping
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Movies & TV