Dec 8 1980

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Dec 8 1980

Postby cleptosid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:32 am

Still is as sad as the night it happened. I was in my living room with my 3 band mates, we were strumming some new ideas to each other while having Monday Night football on TV. It was the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. The Seattle Sea Hawks and Howard Cosell announced that former Beatle John Lennon was shot dead at the Dakota apartments. Then the scene went to a special report and it showed masses of people gathering at the Dakota and crying, singing and forming a gigantic vigil outside the Dakota. So Off we went with 2 acoustic Guitars we made it there and we had a night I'll never forget. So many people who loved this man. And all of a sudden he's gone. Like I always say "To one of four men that shaped me into the person and musician I am today, Thank You" That's my toast to John and George on such events as these (the anniversary of Their births or passings) Where were you that night?
Every morning brings a new day
cleptosid

Re: Dec 8 1980

Postby EddieV » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:16 pm

I nearly forgot it was 27 years ago today. You´re still in my thoughts John
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:22 pm

Thinking of John today
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby lampie1970 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:52 pm

:salute
I love the sound of Paul screaming in the morning...
lampie1970

Postby Ruben » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Thank you John we miss you
Ruben
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Scott Dossett » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:10 pm

I was at a club in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, listening to a local band called The Drapes...At the time, they were the best band in Mississippi...hands down. During the last break of the evening, the lead guitarist and one of the band's four vocalists...Webb Wilder (he's still rocking at WebbWilder.com) went downstairs to share an herbal jazz ciggy with one of the bartenders when he heard the incredibly sad news from Howard Cosell...He ran back upstairs and told the sold out crowd...Myself and at least half of the crowd left immediately and the rest were gone after they had cleared their tabs.

Just an incredibly sad moment...In fact, it was the worst day in my lifetime of 53 years...I'm still not over it and I'm sure I will never be over it...especially the way it happened...Rest In Peace John Lennon. :salute
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:29 pm

It was the morning off my Maths exam at school and a so called mate quipped "One down three to go" which didn't go down well. The odd thing is I came top of my year with 96%.....thanks John!!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby L Dozier » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:11 am

I was in my own rush of "Beatlemania" around 1980, and on the evening of December 8 I was sitting upstairs in my room reading a book called "The Beatles Forever" (by Nicholas Shaffner?), and listening to Rubber Soul. "Norwegian Wood" had just ended and my mom came in and said, "I have bad news..." She may as well have clobbered me in the forehead with a baseball bat. It was devastating. I turned on the TV and remember seeing a rerun of Tom Snyder interviewing John. Sobbed myself to sleep.
L Dozier

Postby jack68 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:37 am

My dad was sick at the time and died at 39 2 weeks later.Waking up that morning and findingout he was dead was devastating even at 14.Thats when radio mattered i listened to it day and night.
jack68

Postby mervap » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Wow, Jack, sorry to hear that...truly a sad moment for you.

I was watching the football game, also.

Wow...right after I posted this, my Mom called and said that my Uncle Joe, a WWII medic, had passed on...may the all Rest in Peace! :salute
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN