Would John have been knighted?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Would John have been knighted?

Postby dpantz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:49 pm

I think so, but Paul would've still recieved his first...John would probably just get his around now if he was alive I think. not only becuase of his great humanitarian abilities or musical achievements, but only because now there is a big thing about Liverpool and how they honor the Beatles for their contributions to not only the arts, but literally boosting Liverpool to great heights financially and making it a nostalgic/historic place on their own. They'd forgive Lennon. He is still their Liverpool son.

I'd like to think he would've settled into a elder statesman of rock too, and yet still mock being a knight and make jokes about turning his MBE back in...

Elton John had a wild life and career that sometimes seems unforgiving or publicly embarassing to him and possibly royalty. Princess Di loved Elton so I think that played a big role. Elton John is a knight...(a whole other kind of swordsman)...or is it a Lady...Dame Elton???

I think the fact that Paul being a knight, Paul might've put in a good word for John to be one also, or however it all works.
And if I said I really knew you well what would your answer be?
dpantz

Postby dpantz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:52 pm

I was listening to "today in history" or something like that, on BBC (international), and they didn't mention John's birthday... why this could be?[/quote]

Are you serious? The birth of John Lennon is of extreme hitorical importance! I don't understand how they missed that...
And if I said I really knew you well what would your answer be?
dpantz

Postby maccamania102 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:34 pm

Scott Dossett wrote:When he was murdered in 1980, no pop star had ever been knighted to my knowledge and since he was about to get back into public life...well, you just never know if knighthood was in his future.

I'm sure John would have been asked to participate in all of the "Aid" concerts and who knows what kind of charities he would have helped...possibly some of the Queen's charities would have gotten a hefty boost from the talents of an ex-Beatle.

If he'd have kept his former "attitude" towards authority figures, I'd say he probably would not have been knighted but let me assure everyone that with age comes much much more maturity towards the "establishment". Hell, you become the "establishment" whether you like it or not and the younger generation seems weird, strange and out of hand just like my generation seemed to my parents.

It is my opinion that John would have mellowed a great deal and would have seen what his fame could do for certain causes...I'd say he would have helped out and become an older and very wise senior citizen...He and Paul would have probably become much closer again, the Beatles would have recorded another album or two and the World would have been a different place...

You may say I'm a dreamer...But I'm not the only one.

In fact, I can just see John and Paul being Knighted at the same ceremony...at the same exact time... :mrgreen:

p.s. I just turned 53 and I've been listening since the Fall of 1962 when I was a very impresssionable 8 year old...I can't possibly put into words how exciting it was to see The Fabs on the Ed Sullivan Show that Sunday night...February 9th, 1964...Life's been great ! :salute

In John's last interview he was very clear on how he felt about the Aids and Charity concerts. He was dead set against them and said he would never participate. He started a yearly tithe for his charities.

John basically became a tax exile by living in New York. He and Yoko were investing heavily during the 70's and adding alot to their bank account. No way would he have ever returned back to England to live. All the Beatles, except for Paul, became tax exiles, as did many British entertainers. They can only be in England for a short period without being subject to being taxed.

And as far as anything Beatles involving Paul....not if Yoko was in the picture.
maccamania102

Postby maccamania102 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Actually...I think the whole knighthood has become something of a joke, and really doesn't have any meaning to it anymore.
maccamania102

Postby bobrocks » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 am

maccamania102 wrote:In John's last interview he was very clear on how he felt about the Aids and Charity concerts. He was dead set against them and said he would never participate.

That's interesting. I'd never heard that. I'd always thought Live Aid would have been the perfect vehicle for a Beatles reunion.
-A good cause
-lots of bands
-a 20 minute set

but maybe not.
bobrocks

Postby EddieV » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:47 am

maccamania102 wrote:
Scott Dossett wrote:When he was murdered in 1980, no pop star had ever been knighted to my knowledge and since he was about to get back into public life...well, you just never know if knighthood was in his future.

I'm sure John would have been asked to participate in all of the "Aid" concerts and who knows what kind of charities he would have helped...possibly some of the Queen's charities would have gotten a hefty boost from the talents of an ex-Beatle.

If he'd have kept his former "attitude" towards authority figures, I'd say he probably would not have been knighted but let me assure everyone that with age comes much much more maturity towards the "establishment". Hell, you become the "establishment" whether you like it or not and the younger generation seems weird, strange and out of hand just like my generation seemed to my parents.

It is my opinion that John would have mellowed a great deal and would have seen what his fame could do for certain causes...I'd say he would have helped out and become an older and very wise senior citizen...He and Paul would have probably become much closer again, the Beatles would have recorded another album or two and the World would have been a different place...

You may say I'm a dreamer...But I'm not the only one.

In fact, I can just see John and Paul being Knighted at the same ceremony...at the same exact time... :mrgreen:

p.s. I just turned 53 and I've been listening since the Fall of 1962 when I was a very impresssionable 8 year old...I can't possibly put into words how exciting it was to see The Fabs on the Ed Sullivan Show that Sunday night...February 9th, 1964...Life's been great ! :salute

In John's last interview he was very clear on how he felt about the Aids and Charity concerts. He was dead set against them and said he would never participate. He started a yearly tithe for his charities.

John basically became a tax exile by living in New York. He and Yoko were investing heavily during the 70's and adding alot to their bank account. No way would he have ever returned back to England to live. All the Beatles, except for Paul, became tax exiles, as did many British entertainers. They can only be in England for a short period without being subject to being taxed.

And as far as anything Beatles involving Paul....not if Yoko was in the picture.

I don´t agree here. I think he would return home. we all know that John sometimes said stupid things and I really believe if he was asked to do eg. Live Aid he would do so!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:57 pm

These are John's own words in 1980. I agreed with him 100% and still agree with him 100% now. These charity and awareness concerts have become a joke. Live Earth was the biggest joke. Celebrities arriving in their private jets and gas guzzling limos and telling me to ride my bicycle to work and to use one sheet of toilet paper. and charity concerts were the people in need never see the money because of their own country's corruption.

John had the right idea to do away with these patting one's self on the back that their doing something, and just tithing to what he believed in.

He did enough charity concerts to see the ins and outs of them and had the smart idea to stay away from them.

PLAYBOY: "Just to finish your favorite subject, what about the suggestion that the four of you put aside your personal feelings and regroup to give a mammoth concert for charity, some sort of giant benefit?"

LENNON: "I don't want to have anything to do with benefits. I have been benefited to death."

PLAYBOY: "Why?"

LENNON: "Because they're always rip-offs. I haven't performed for personal gain since 1966, when the Beatles last performed. Every concert since then, Yoko and I did for specific charities, except for a Toronto thing that was a rock 'n roll revival. Every one of them was a mess or a rip-off. So now we give money to who we want. You've heard of tithing?"

PLAYBOY: "That's when you give away a fixed percentage of your income."

LENNON: "Right. I am just going to do it privately. I am not going to get locked into that business of saving the world on stage. The show is always a mess and the artist always comes off badly."

PLAYBOY: "What about the Bangladesh concert, in which George and other people such as Dylan performed?"

LENNON: "Bangladesh was ca-ca."

PLAYBOY: "You mean because of all the questions that were raised about where the money went?"

LENNON: "Yeah, right. I can't even talk about it, because it's still a problem. You'll have to check with Mother (Yoko) because she knows the ins and outs of it, I don't. But it's all a rip-off. So forget about it. All of you who are reading this, don't bother sending me all that garbage about, 'Just come and save the Indians, come and save the blacks, come and save the war veterans,' Anybody I want to save will be helped through our tithing, which is ten percent of whatever we earn."

PLAYBOY: "But that doesn't compare with what one promoter, Sid Bernstein, said you could raise by giving a world-wide televised concert... playing separately, as individuals, or together, as the Beatles. He estimated you could raise over $200,000,000 in one day."

LENNON: "That was a commercial for Sid Bernstein written with Jewish schmaltz and showbiz and tears, dropping on one knee. It was Al Jolson. OK. So I don't buy that. OK?"

PLAYBOY: "But the fact is, $200,000,000 to a poverty-stricken country in South America..."

LENNON: "Where do people get off saying the Beatles should give $200,000,000 to South America? You know, America has poured billions into places like that. It doesn't mean a damn thing. After they've eaten that meal, then what? It lasts for only a day. After the $200,000,000 is gone, then what? It goes round and round in circles. You can pour money in forever. After Peru, then Harlem, then Britain. There is no one concert. We would have to dedicate the rest of our lives to one world concert tour, and I'm not ready for it. Not in this lifetime, anyway."
maccamania102

Postby darrel » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:40 pm

I dont know if he'd have been offered a knight hood after sending back the mbe. But if he had been given it He'd probably have sent that back in protest against the war in Iraq.
note to people who dont seem to know the queen dosnt decide who gets knighthoods or MBEs the prime minister does, the queen just hands them out.
darrel

Postby rocket470 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:44 pm

Anyone know if Gordon Brown is a Beatles fan?
rocket470

Postby sirARDIE » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:36 am

Definitely!!! Could have been earlier than Macca. :D
sirARDIE

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN