JL's "Real Love" demo used in JCPenney commercial

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:09 am

The piano demo version you hear of "Real Love" from "Working Class Hero - The Definitive Lennon" has just started airing on telly for a JCPenney Christmas ad.

See it here:
http://creativity-online.com/work/view?seed=e36d2d91

Yoko Ono Did Sell Out John Lennon to JCPenney

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

By Roger Friedman, Fox News

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311059,00.html

Yoko Ono did sell John Lennon’s rare home recording of "Real Love" to JCPenney for a commercial.

The spot began airing on Sunday night during ABC’s "Brothers & Sisters" before JCPenney could even make the announcement.

The Beatles have had their songs licensed for commercials in the past, but with the rare exception of perhaps "Revolution" years ago, they never have allowed master recordings out. The songs are always re-recorded.

Ad agency Saatchi and Saatchi handled the deal, I’m told, with Ono directly. The much-disliked widow of Lennon has sold a number of items under her late husband’s name over the years, including glasses, art and an action figure. But using a rare, acoustic home recording — and a beautiful, haunting one at that — as the Christmas song for a department store seems particularly greedy.

Ono, who should be worth hundreds of millions of dollars, prides herself on being a "citizen of the world" who advocates peace. For years she’s promoted her own charity, The Spirit Foundation. But a check of the Spirit Foundation’s recent federal tax filings shows that Ono does a lot less for charity than one might have supposed.

I know I always thought she did a lot more, given that — because Lennon died — Ono as his heir receives a larger portion of his and Paul McCartney’s songwriting royalties.

But here’s the breakdown. From 2000 through 2005, Ono’s Spirit Foundation gave away only $2.6 million — a fraction of her enormous income. In 2005-2006, her donations were: $239,000 to Foster Plan Japan (to build school classrooms in China and Africa); $15,000 to Bailey House in New York City for people living with AIDS; $10,000 to a school in Harlem; and $30,000 to a small Los Angeles charity called Real Medicine Foundation.

Ono also recently gave Amnesty International the rights to two dozen post-Beatle Lennon songs for an album of "covers" by other artists ranging from REM and U2 to lesser-known names. The money goes to AI’s "Save Darfur" campaign, but it’s not clear how much has been derived since Warner Music, the issuing label, has kept the project a secret.

Still, the small cash outlay is a little surprising. While no one would question Ono’s generosity to these groups, it also seems like a few are missing. All this time I would have assumed Yoko Ono was giving money directly to Amnesty International, for example, and Greenpeace, as well as to record industry charities such as T.J. Martell and MusiCares.

How about a worthy cause such as Elton John’s AIDS Foundation, Sting and Trudie Styler’s Rainforest Foundation or a New York charity, for example, the Robin Hood Foundation? But maybe that’s what she’ll do with the JCPenney money. You never know.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: JL's "Real Love" demo used in JCPenney commercial

Postby Scott Dossett » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:11 pm

"Yucko" is such an oportunist...It doesn't surprise me the least that she would sell John for her profit...Ain't nuttin' sacred any more with regards to her and her quest for MORE money. Does there never come a time when you've got enough money or does greed always outweigh common sense and dignity...Kinda like rock beats scissors...always.
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Postby EwaldK » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:39 pm

Wow, what a rant.

I do think the song works well wit the vid. You can see that this is not a one in a dozen flick.
EwaldK

Postby Scott Dossett » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:01 pm

EwaldK wrote:Wow, what a rant.

I do think the song works well wit the vid. You can see that this is not a one in a dozen flick.

Oh, I agree that the ad was cute and I've always loved the song but my point was when is enough...enough ? There's hardly any Beatle songs that couldn't be sold to any old ad agency to help them sell something...I'm just not sure I like the idea of any of their songs being used for anything other than a person's pleasure with headphones...an adult bev...and your sweetie by your side...riding down the highway of life.

Maybe I'm just too old fashioned... :roll:
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:34 pm

Please check the facts, Roger Friedman. Again another mistake you have made.

The Beatles haven't sold their songs to anyone for a commercial, any you hear were sold by the controlling owner of the rights, Jack-o (Michael Jackson) This is a well publicized, controversial fact of which Paul has been very out-spoken about.

Now, I believe Yoko owns the post-Beatle rights to John's music, so that explains the John/solo songs. The piano demo of Real Love would be John. The "Threetles" version, NOT.

:twisted: :evil:
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:12 am

"All my little plans and schemes/Lost like some forgotten dreams"
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby baal » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:47 am

Hey..Yoko's in charge of the catalogue and promotes it as best she can given that all availables have already been made available to those that want them. If she were to hand over responsibility to a record company, they'd see ads as a useful form of making people aware of Lennon's stuff.
Against this there is the fact that during John's lifetime, neither John or Paul ever considered using their music in adverts. Paul said it would cheapen it and John, as far as I know, said nothing on the subject but was certainly approached regularly.
I think Yoko's use here is appropriate and cool. The same cannot be said for the 'All You Need Is Love' nappy ad but I'm sure she or Paul were unable to have any say in that since the Northern Songs catalogue has long since become an executive toy at Sony.

As an aside, did you notice Michael Jackson referring recently to 'my friend Paul McCartney'?!!
I guess he must be angling for a consultation with Paul on reviving his career as he did last year with Prince (Prince told him to do an unplugged, vocal-only performance in Vegas).
I'm predicting when the phone goes and it's MJ asking, Paul will be only too willing to help.
'Sure, Mike...if you want to get back in the charts, why not kill yourself on live TV?'

;-)
baal

Postby maccamania102 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:46 am

Scott Dossett wrote:"Yucko" is such an oportunist...It doesn't surprise me the least that she would sell John for her profit...Ain't nuttin' sacred any more with regards to her and her quest for MORE money. Does there never come a time when you've got enough money or does greed always outweigh common sense and dignity...Kinda like rock beats scissors...always.

Do you say the same thing about Paul? He put out some of his solo songs for licensing for commercials since 2005. Doesn't he have enough money? He also made an about face on the Beatles music being used in commercials.

McCARTNEY FOR SALE: How about "Jet" to push United Airlines or "No More Lonely Nights" for eHarmony?

MPL Communications, which controls Paul McCartney's post-Beatles copyrights, has made 20 songs available for licensing for commercials, TV and film.

A limited edition sampler will be sent to key music supervisors and ad agencies by March 1.

McCartney has allowed a few of these songs to be featured in film and TV but has never permitted them to be used in commercials.

"Paul looked around and saw that the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, a lot of his contemporaries are doing more film and commercial licensing and Paul said, 'Let's have some fun with it,' " says Bill Porricelli, MPL senior VP of promotion and new product development.

Criteria for usage in a commercial is that the tie-in makes sense and that it be a national or worldwide campaign.

Price is, of course, negotiable, but Porricelli notes that because of changes in the economy, licensing rates have dropped during the last few years. However, we're quite sure none of these can be had for a song.

http://www.azcentral.com/ent/music/arti ... treet.html
maccamania102

Return to JOHN