LEnnon the Vicious

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:45 pm

I disagree, man. Lennon the person had a direct impact on Lennon the artist. If i can be so bold, John Lennon was the most self-absorbed song-writer of all time. He nearly always wrote about himself and his issues. Help, Walrus, Norwegian wood, Wheels, etc.. Look at Plastic Ono Band - one of the most brutally honest albums of all time. Lennon once said he wanted to make music to strip away any illusion, any metaphors, to make it as raw as possible. And while it may seem like a trip with the shrink, it is chilling in its initimacy.

Lennon had many faults as a human but lucky for us - it made for a great artist. Like Picasso and Pollack, Lennon was a self-absborbed swine who made excellent music. As Miles Davis said about Charlie Parker, he was an evil, selfish greedy pig...but aren't most artists?

I wouldn't want John Lennon as a father (neither supportive nor lloving ask Julian) - Didn't Lennon spend like five years not seeing or talking to his own son...(too busy chasing Harry Nilsson around) and i sure as hell wouldn't want him as a friend (jealous, insecure, vindicative (ask G HArrison) delusional) but i damn sure would want his music by my CD player.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:56 am

Agreed with Chris - you can't make great music without a personal, emotional element. That's why POB is John's finest album lyrically. And why I, in two years of writing songs for fun, have only got about 15-16 to my name.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby mr. kite » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:12 am

Well, nobody is contesting the kind of life Lennon lived his, in fact, I agree with most of the observations posted about his person, but what I mean is I listen to his songs without the prejudice against his personal life, in the same manner that I do enjoy Paul's songs not because of his being a good father and a good husband but because of the good quality of his songs.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:35 am

Also, agreed. One's personal life may have a huge bearing on the creation of the music, and the kind of music created, but it shouldn't affect the quality. You either got it or you ain't. And Lennon had it, for sure!
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:22 pm

Interesting. I think Chris fell into the scotch bottle. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to JOHN