::The Beatles ( White Album)

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: :The Beatles ( White Album)

Postby Wings84 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:49 pm

The white album is the first...after the king "ABBEY ROAD".
There are a lot of informations in this album and it lets come out all the feelings of that year...maybe take in other way, things could have gone better!
I love all bass tracks in it and it's an evolution of their minds.
vote:9
Wings84

Postby Harrythebannister » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:18 pm

dpantz wrote:Wow. The production on this album has fascinated me from the start. Quite timeless. Doesn't sound like anything else in 1968...in fact it doesn't even sound like it was released in 1968.

Top-notch musicianship and engineering.

Even the songs that were considered to be "filler" at the time are in the Beatles Hall of Classics.

one of the best albums EVER by ANYONE.

Love the album artwork :shock:

I can't add anything to that! :salute
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby sirARDIE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting Ringo, it could have been two separate albums, The White Album and The Whiter Album. :lol:
sirARDIE

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:04 pm

disc1 VS disc2

disc1 wins... easily... imo
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:disc1 VS disc2

disc1 wins... easily... imo

Agreed ...but side three rocks more than any other Beatles album!! :salute
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 pm

If you ever want to escape from the world for an hour and a half, stick some headphones on and become immersed in the minds of four (or five) magicians, the White Album is it. It sounds like they've grown up about ten years since Pepper, not one. It's just relentless, melody after great melody. Everyone is on top form, and doens't let their game slip at all. I'd have loved to have seen them in the final few weeks of recording, when the bickering stopped and they just got down to nailing the record. An incredible artistic acheivment.
In recent months, I've started to think of this, and not Revolver, as my number one album. I just keep coming back kto it. It was one of the first cassetes my dad gave to me when I was 8/9, and I love finding out what the stuff you never really understood as a ten-year-old actually means. You know, as a child I thought Piggies was just a pretty tune about pigs! But that's the great thing, an eight or forty year-old can get it on different levels. Stunning
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Re: ::The Beatles ( White Album)

Postby RhayaOnTheHill » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 pm

This and Rubber Soul are my favourite albums EVER!! I just can't pick but I love this album because it's just so fun it's like a movie but just sound all little stories so many favourites on here but I have to say I think Long Long Long is a really underated song
RhayaOnTheHill

Postby mr h atom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 am

well...this is easily my favorite beatle record and one of my all-time favorite records by anyone, anywhere, anytime

from the opening track to the closing notes, it is as artistically sublime an effort as anyone ever made...

wouldn't drop a song, switch the order, add more tracks, lengthen any of them either...nor edit down one itty-bitty moment...

can still remember the first song i heard off this: it was Revolution #9 and it was being played on the radio..the Dj mentioned, at the beginning, that this was yet another version of the song they'd been playing...and then...that came on: i was mesmerized...but they only played about half of it when they realized what they'd done...so they yanked it and put on something else...

i had to search out my brother, knowing he was a beatle fan, just to find out what it was i'd heard...and the rest is history

this is as bountiful a harvest of the beatles at their most creative as one could possibly hope for: they were at or near their pinnacle on each of these songs...and when you consider what the heck was going on through much of its recording, that it comes out so magnificently whole is even more astonishing

the set is so artistically spot on..it is the template for which i use when comparing/thinking about any album by anyone, anywhere, anytime

i cannot contemplate underestimating any of these tracks...there simply are, imho, no blemishes to be found: if you see/hear something that may be not quite right...not up to par...no offense, but it is most likely your own limitations that are getting in the way

this is an album that challenges the listener flat out and says leave your conceptions at the door and follow us

30 diverse tracks of pure musical bliss...does any beatle album start out any better than the rockin' but cheeky Back in the USSR...no...then into the swirling, thoughtful Dear Prudence...the crunch of Glass Onion...the bouncy, oblique Ob-la-di, ob-la-da...the deranged Wild Honey Pie...contemplative wit folk of Bungalow Bill...the proto goth of While My Guitar gently Weeps...bitter comedy of Happiness is a Warm Gun...the warmth of Martha My Dear...the drowsy, bluesy I'm So Tired...folksy Blackbird...political satire in Piggies...western schmaltz of Rocky Racoon...the jangly, punky Don't Pass Me By (my vote for ringos single best turn at the mic)...a sublimely open I Will...finishing with a sublimely contemplative Julia

..and that is just the first half...things get just a little unhinged from here on...wacky, absurdity of Birthday...the isolated screech of Yer Blues...only to turn to the snuggly-warm Mother Natures Son...just in time to leap up into a funky, outlandish, kinda out there Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me an My Monkey...the jagged little pill of Sexy sadie...the bombast and blast of Helter Skelter...georges most underrated song ever: Long, Long, Long...the robust sarcasm of Revolution #1...the naughty nod to the past of Honey Pie...georges snarky tongue-in-cheek Savoy Truffle...the winking jauntiness of Cry baby Cry...

and then there is the song...yeah, y'know the one...the one that seems to divide more beatle fans than just about any song i can think of,...the one that puts it s big, fat, juicy stamp all over the rest and make shtis album what it is: this somng is the real heart and soul of this album...

think of what it took to make this behemoth...think of what it took to get it on the album...no, this ain't in yo mama's selection of favorite beatle songs..yup, it's weird...yep, it's scary...yup, it's lonnnnggggg, yep, it's...odd, quirky, nonsensical...yup, it moves around a sonic landscape like a bloated, blind juggernaut of sound that, even after repeated listenings, still leaves one wondering exactly where the heck you've been...and where the heck you're going

and that is bliss !!

after this.??? there is simply no place to got but to say...good night

nope, this is what albums should be all about: taking you places you've never been...maybe, as with R9...places you never thought you'd go...and bringing you back safely

this is an amusement park of an album...a road trip w/o a map of an album ...it is an adventure like few you've been on of an album...and it exists exactly as such to this day...

had i been around to help name the album...i might've offered up a snarky, witty "enter at your own risk"

but those crafty lads beat me to the best version...because from the first track to the last: it is The Beatles
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby lobbybobby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Great review H. They should publish this in Rolling Stone.

The older I get, and the more I hear it, Long, long, long might just be my favorite song ever by anybody. Bar none.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 am

:-D ...i know !!

i've loved that song from the get go
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums