Ringo's all-star band

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:27 pm

Abe is #1 for me. Joe #2, and Holly #3. All-You-others are just below Holly ...and lastly, Blair Cunningham and Denny Siewell: Tied for last. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:28 pm

As I said before, Blair just didn't do it for me. Some people like his drumming, but it just didn't excite me.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:08 am

Holly was vastly under-rated. I didn't like seiwell or Blair.

Chris Whitton played outstanding on the Russian album but was way too clean on '89 tour and no feel to me.

My favorite Wings drummeer may be Paul hisself!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:09 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
I agree with you, Nito. Seriously. But any claims that Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world are preposterous. Let's get real here, folks.

Agreed. It is easy for us to overrate the four members of The Beatles simply because of who they were. I wouldn't call any of them the best at their designated instrument, but they are/were all highly competent musicians.

As for best drummer, my vote goes to Stewart Copeland.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:33 am

Bonzo is better than Copeland. Copeland is a bit too pretenious and he doesn't let it fly. Not to mention he is a huge pain in the butt at least Sting thinks so. They hate each other
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:38 am

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
Bonzo is better than Copeland. Copeland is a bit too pretenious and he doesn't let it fly. Not to mention he is a huge pain in the butt at least Sting thinks so. They hate each other

The feelings of animosity between Sting and Copeland have no bearing on the latter's ability to play the drums. Sting himself has said that he does in fact love Copeland as a brother, but they get on better now they're not living up each other's backsides.

Attitudes have no bearing on this. A drummer's job is to keep time, and Copeland is the best I've heard on that score. That's all. Just my opinion.
Liam OSM

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:51 am

I disagree (I don't doubt that Copeland is good). A drummer is a bit like the QB or Catcher in baseball in that he is the ultimate team player. Attitude and driving the band are huge factors. If you can't get along with the blokes, you will stink as a drummer.

Look at Mitch Mitchell - He's a good drummer but even MAcca auditioned him and passed. Why? Cause he wasn't a team player.

Bonzo and Ringo were great not just technically but in their ability to get along with their mates. Bonzo and Plant were so close - Led Zep split up after his death.

Look at Buddy Rich - he was awesome - but he was a terrible team player. He used to pick up on Frankie Blue Eyes all the time.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:31 pm

Good points, Chris--especially about the team player thing.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Sep 23, 2002 8:01 am

Agreed, but I still say a drummer's main function is to keep time. And again, Copeland is the one for me. That's all. (Sorry if I'm repeating myself here . . . )
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:25 pm

Well, sometimes a drummer wants to stand out... look at the rock concerts since 70s, Bonzo in an example, he did almost 20 minutes of drums solo on "The Song Remains The Same", and in most of rock bands, the drummers have their turn to be under the spotlights.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO