The Beatles' album post- 1970

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:23 pm

No problema, NITO. I need to find both of them--and i'm sure there are two or three versions (CD) of each floating around.[:D][:D] Half the fun is in the searching!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:51 am

Well, I had a listen tuesday night, and my first impressions are lukewarm. I need another listen, really.

I did like "You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine)", quite a bit, though. I'll let you know when I have another listen.

The yeah, this is almost a Beatles album, because all four of them play on it! Although not all together on any one track - I think all but Paul played on "I'm The Greatest" . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:44 am

Cool Liam!! You got "Ringo" finally!!
NO, Paul didn´t play on ITG, just John and George did it on, take a look again Liam.
Paul wrote "Six O´Clock" a great song for Ringo, and played synthsizers(by the way, very well played!!) and did the background vocals beside Linda as you can see on the credits.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:11 am

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Cool Liam!! You got "Ringo" finally!!
NO, Paul didn´t play on ITG, just John and George did it on, take a look again Liam.
Paul wrote "Six O´Clock" a great song for Ringo, and played synthsizers(by the way, very well played!!) and did the background vocals beside Linda as you can see on the credits.

Peace.

ITG - that's what I said - all Beatles EXCEPT Paul played on it. Maybe it's a translation problem? [:I]
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:53 am

Oh yes Liam!! I think I misunderstood you, maybe??
But don´t you think "6 O´Clock" is great??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:03 am

Ringo is one of the best solo albums. It is excellently written and crafted. It was the perfect vehicle for Ringo and was a big hit thanks to George's input "Photograph" is one of the best solo Beatle songs.
[8D]

[:(!] Then, Ringo suffered a series of slumps and set backs beginning with Goodnight Vienna and continuting with Ringo the IV, Bad Boy, Rotogravurer. "Drowning in the sea of love" from Ringo's Ringo the IV is one of the worst singles of the 70's. As one Rolling Stone reviewes seethed, "It isn't very good ****tail music".

We should be glad that Ringo released some very good singles in the 70's and one excellent record. [^]

But, critically analyzing Goodnight Vienna and Ringo the IV [xx(] I'd rather hear Osama Bin-Ladin and the Taliban's do "Help Me Rhonda and Give PEace a chance" [:(] Imagine - if Osama had a Yoko Ono type as his wife and he did a bed-in for jihad in his cave for all the media. In many ways, the bed-in version of John Lennon in March '69 and the All Things must pass picture of George Harrison in 1970 made them look like either

A) a member of the post 9/11 Taliban
B) Part of Yeshiva University's rabbinal studies program (especially the pictures on the back cover of the Hey Jude album from 1970)
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:11 am

Chris, that is in very poor taste.
Liam OSM

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:47 am

I'd put photograph, it don't come easy in the top 15 of greatest Solo Beatle singles. Doesn't Photograph sound a lot like Badfinger??
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:03 am

Ringo doesn't act anymore. I wonder why? I'm just glad that he never did TV. I'd hate to see Ringo in one of those mindless sitcoms on CBS. You know something like "Everybody loves Ringo" where he's married and has kids who talk back to him and stuff. Maybe, has a nutty father in law who makes wisecracks about his nose and his rings. Example, you can have Peter Boyle as his father in law.

Peter Boyle: Hey, Ring, your garage is full..

Ringo: I have many cars, Peter...I have John's psychedlic rolls out front..

Peter Boyle: Where do i park my car?

Ringo: (shruggin his shoulders)...I don't know..

Peter Boyle: (smiling) How about under your nose?

You see why i'm glad Ringo never became a parody like that on TV

Laugh track explodes...
Ringo: (sadly to himself)..Oh, and this boy won't be happy til he sees you cry..

You know Ringo has a teenage daugther who has tatoos and a nose-ring. And Ringo has to tell her not to do drugs and drink. And then he has to tell all her friends that he used to be in the Beatles. Or Ringo has to take his daughter to the Justin Timbalake concert. Oh, i'm sorry, that's on TV already - it's the john Ritter sitcom and it's Everybody loves Raymond.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:04 am

Six O'clock on the old Ringo LP had a part at the end where you can distinctly hear Paul McCartney singing. It was after a drum fill and the synth goes low - It was also on the Eight track if i remember.

The CD of course is really shoddy ! Oh well, i guess Ringo doesn't have a market for Bad Boy, Rotogravure, or BEaucoups of Blues on CD.

Poor Ring!
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to RINGO