Would John have been knighted?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby DeRick » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:07 pm

With all his history and the political shanagins with Yoko and the returning of the MBE. Do yall think a "Sir John" would've been possable?
DeRick

Re: Would John have been knighted?

Postby mervap » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 pm

Who knows what the future held for JL? He might have settled in as a sort of rock elder statesman by now. However, the folks who give those sorts of awards probably have a very long memory. I kinda doubt it. :(
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Living full time in NYC, I doubt it would have been offered to him. Besides...Lady Yoko? I don't think so. :shock:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:37 pm

After John gave back his MBE, I seriously doubt the Queen would set herself up for the embarresment of a knighthood being rejected.

I'm not saying that John would reject it, I dont know that.
What I'm saying is anyone who gives back an MBE automatically forfeits any chance of knighthood.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Crisstti » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:25 pm

There certainly would have been a huge debate about John getting it after Paul was knighted.
Maybe they wouldn't have given it to Paul because that would have meant having to offer it to John.

Who knows.
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Postby maccamania102 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 pm

No way the Queen would ever had allowed him to be knighted. The Royal Family took a lot of slack for giving The Beatles the MBE and then John slapped them in the face by returning it in a cheap publicity stunt for his record.
maccamania102

Postby giovagb07 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:30 am

I really don't think so...

I was listening to "today in history" or something like that, on BBC (international), and they didn't mention John's birthday... why this could be?
Come on check my machine
giovagb07

Postby maccamania102 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 am

giovagb07 wrote:Would John have been knighted?
I really don't think so...

I was listening to "today in history" or something like that, on BBC (international), and they didn't mention John's birthday... why this could be?

Do they normally announce birthdays or just historic happenings?
maccamania102

Postby EddieV » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:13 am

Yes he would. I´m certain he would return to England
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Scott Dossett » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:32 am

When he was murdered in 1980, no pop star had ever been knighted to my knowledge and since he was about to get back into public life...well, you just never know if knighthood was in his future.

I'm sure John would have been asked to participate in all of the "Aid" concerts and who knows what kind of charities he would have helped...possibly some of the Queen's charities would have gotten a hefty boost from the talents of an ex-Beatle.

If he'd have kept his former "attitude" towards authority figures, I'd say he probably would not have been knighted but let me assure everyone that with age comes much much more maturity towards the "establishment". Hell, you become the "establishment" whether you like it or not and the younger generation seems weird, strange and out of hand just like my generation seemed to my parents.

It is my opinion that John would have mellowed a great deal and would have seen what his fame could do for certain causes...I'd say he would have helped out and become an older and very wise senior citizen...He and Paul would have probably become much closer again, the Beatles would have recorded another album or two and the World would have been a different place...

You may say I'm a dreamer...But I'm not the only one.

In fact, I can just see John and Paul being Knighted at the same ceremony...at the same exact time... :mrgreen:

p.s. I just turned 53 and I've been listening since the Fall of 1962 when I was a very impresssionable 8 year old...I can't possibly put into words how exciting it was to see The Fabs on the Ed Sullivan Show that Sunday night...February 9th, 1964...Life's been great ! :salute
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Next

Return to JOHN