Is Broadstreet a bad film?

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Is Broadstreet a bad film?

Postby mr h atom » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:34 am

is it out-of-print ?

how much do you want to bet it'll be re-released sometime in Nov....??
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby savillerowdie » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:03 am

It is bad. I saw it in the theater. There must have been 7 or 8 Beatles/Macca diehards there with me, scattered around the theater. I think we all felt somewhat embarrassed for Paul.
After MMT, he should have known to stay away from film production. But at least MMT has some nostalgic retro hipness to it now. 20+ years later, there's no redeeming qualities for Broadstreet, IMHO, it's still embarrassingly trite rubbish.

But heck, the man is entitled to an indulgence such as Broadstreet. I still love ya Paul. An occasional stinker, compared to the overall brilliance of your career, is allowed. Please just make records, not films. :D
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 pm

mr h atom wrote:is it out-of-print ?

how much do you want to bet it'll be re-released sometime in Nov....??

lets keep our fingers crossed.

wait...you mean 2012, right? :wink:
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:44 pm

There are a few films worse than Broadstreet...the last 2 Matrix films for a start. I think what really bugged me about BS though, was the music. Man, it had some sucky stuff on it..and I like sucky stuff. :shock: :lol:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:23 am

Yeah its bad- not AWFUL but bad.

The problem is it really goes nowhere- there are so many cool things you could do with this stolen tapes idea- and there's really not all that much that happens- other than some great visuals.

Its ashame because George worked with the Pythons and Terry Gilliam and probably could have lent a nice touch to this.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mommasturn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:26 pm

2 of 3 wrote:There are a few films worse than Broadstreet...the last 2 Matrix films for a start. I think what really bugged me about BS though, was the music. Man, it had some sucky stuff on it..and I like sucky stuff. :shock: :lol:

Sucky stuff like hockey? :mrgreen: just kidding ya know.
mommasturn

Postby dpantz » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:37 pm

There are a "few" films worse than "Broadstreet" ??????????????
I have seen "a lot" of films in my lifetime, good and bad, and I can tell you there are way more than a "few" that are worse!!! Have you ever watched the tv show Mystery Science Theater 3000? Oh boy, there are some real stinkers on there...I found "Broadstreet" to be 'moderately' entertaining...We expect more from Macca that's all...after all he is 'the' Beatle! Let's not hope of him ever becoming the next Al Pacino or anything, though!

I feel if Steven Spielberg directed the film, like Paul said he was originally, I think it would have been done a bit differently, perhaps beter, but I don't think that "Broadstreet" would still be viewed as a serious piece of cinematic history, still.
And if I said I really knew you well what would your answer be?
dpantz

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Sucky stuff like hockey?

Doh!! :lol:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby giovagb07 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 pm

very bad film... never liked
Come on check my machine
giovagb07

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:37 am

imho: this is not a VERY bad film...
as a big, huge, fan of all kinds of movies...i wouldn't even rate it as 'bad'...
more like...disappointing...lacks a certain ferventness that was a hallmark of the earlier beatle films...
mccartney needed a film director, not the 'video' director that ended up helming the flick...
also, a bit of help in the writing area couldn't but help...but, don't lay all, or even most of the blame at maccas feet..try about 50%: there is no way this got made w/o studio acquiescence...
the whole thing comes across a little disjointed...there is a definate lack of centering...it's just a mix of small pieces that barely tell a story.

spielberg...? nah: cameron crowe...!! yeah, baby...he makes great movies and luvs his macca...considering the time frame this was made..
possibly Eric Red...he of Better Off Dead ?

either way...any macca fan, an, for that matter, beatle fan, shouldn't be terribly bored to tears...unless your expecting the 'gone-with-the-wind/citizen-kane' of rock and roll moving pictures !

innocous and fluffy...with some pretty cool music...you could, and probably, have spent alot more time with far worse fare...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Videos