Is Broadstreet a bad film?

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

Is Broadstreet a bad film?

Postby MemoryAlmostFull » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 am

So, I bet my entire McCartney collection that this isn't the first thread about Give My Regards to Broadstreet. That being said, how does everyone rate it?

Back in 2002, my dad and I hunted EVERYWHERE for it. Every car boot, second hand shop etc. It was like eBay had never happened (we hadn't got into Amazon etc then). Even The Beatles Shop in Liverpool didn't have it - the guy behind the counter had never even heard of Broadstreet!

Eventually, my dad surprised me with it one day. He had found an ad in the back of Record Collector about Music DVDs and we managed to get it bran new!

Anyway, back to topic, is it really that bad?

Personally, I think it's good. Not VERY good, or great, by any means, but it's the only way you can really "meet" the Paul that was around in the early eighties and as I'm 18, I didn't see him then.

The script is a bit patchy at times - the Eleanor Rigby segment could have been dropped as it slows the pace - but there are some good moments, all the same. Probably most famous among fans is the rehearsal in the barn near London Bridge. But I will say something for it, the actual attention to detail in the film is second to none. Harry vaccuming in the beginning when Bryan Brown is on the phone, before we even find out who Harry is, for instance!

Paul also looks really young in it. In all honesty, I would place him as 25-27, as opposed to 42. And the leather jacket/hawian shirt is cool!

So I think it's a film which is good in places.

Whay d'yall think?
MemoryAlmostFull

Re: Is Broadstreet a bad film?

Postby mervap » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:14 am

I remember seeing "Broad Street" in my late teens...I enjoyed the movie as a collection of music videos...not too much in the way of a story, but no worse than dozens of other films I saw in my youth...I think its primary function, as you said, was for younger, folks who'd not seen Macca tour or even seen very many of his videos, to see Macca in his element: in the studio and in 'live' rehearsal. The barn rehearsal scenes were cool and you got to see Ringo ( and the lovely Barbara!) and Dave Edmunds, one of my gutar faves. I'd love to see Macca trot out "No Values" or "Not Such a Bad Boy" on his next tour.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?
mervap
Supporter
Supporter

Postby terryhurley » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:48 am

I think it's pretty ropey APART from the final 15 minutes when he sings "No More Lonely Nights" at the station. That sequence is brilliant....
terryhurley

Postby JennyWren » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:33 am

I like it just because it contains Paul, and I love listening to him talk, watching him move, seeing him just be Paul. As a film, I suppose it's weak, plot is thin. But for a Macca fan, it's dandy just the way it is.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:08 am

Yes!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_Fan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:17 pm

No its not!
These are the days of miracle and wonder....
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:43 am

Never seen it because of its bad reputation all though it has been on TV.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gonny » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:42 am

I've got the video in the house and watch it, maybe, a couple of times a year. The story's not great but what makes it for me are the great performances.

It's worth watching just for those - especially "Wanderlust", "Not Such a Bad Boy" and the always excellent "So Bad" (check out Ringo's cowboy boots!)! :) :
gonny

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:25 am

Well it wouldnt and didnt win any awards (maybe a razzy). However, if you take the film for what it is, you may not be disappointed.

I honestly didnt mind it at all.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bfmqw2s » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:51 am

You have to love it for what it is, and not what you think it should be! Its a parody, and no its not Oscar material, however, it is clever. Have you ever gone back and looked at AHDN. Very similar genre. Besides, I could watch Paul sleeping if they made it on video!!!
Avid Beatle Fan, from the original days.
bfmqw2s
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA-Videos