What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 am

Well I can honestly say 1408 was a classic scary movie in the truest sense of the word. Certainly one of the best thrillers I've seen in a very long time.

You know it's a great thriller the sense of fear builds within you before anything terrifying even happens. I highly recommend.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 1408

Postby chris » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:58 pm

most honorable guru sir...while i have not yet seen the movie, i do recall reading the book (i believe its a short novella from the collection "everythings eventual") lets be honest, this stephen king fellow is one scary dude. i like his books. probably read everything he has done. if you are a reader, let me know if you want a recommendation.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:27 am

heard the story (on 'blood & smoke' : king narrates all the stories, kinda cool...)...then read the story...now, my 14 yr old dragged me to see it...(go ahead, kid, twist my arm !)

the first 1/3 to 1/2 is, in fact, excellent..but, then the art of dragging out a short story begins to falter...as a lond time SK fan, and an even longer addict of good scary movies...it is far better than most King adaptions, yet it suffers from a bit of overkill...coulda been aboit 15-20 shorter and been perfect.

BTW... mark yer calendars...november of this year...only the brave ( or stupid ) will walk into...the mist...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:16 pm

directed by the always special frank darabond, methinks (of shawshank and green mile fame)
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 am

indeed..and i am salivating greatly...some movie related websites have been posting the movies one-sheet...eerie...bodes well
mr h atom

Postby mommasturn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:19 pm

mr h atom wrote:heard the story (on 'blood & smoke' : king narrates all the stories, kinda cool...)...then read the story...now, my 14 yr old dragged me to see it...(go ahead, kid, twist my arm !)

the first 1/3 to 1/2 is, in fact, excellent..but, then the art of dragging out a short story begins to falter...as a lond time SK fan, and an even longer addict of good scary movies...it is far better than most King adaptions, yet it suffers from a bit of overkill...coulda been aboit 15-20 shorter and been perfect.

BTW... mark yer calendars...november of this year...only the brave ( or stupid ) will walk into...the mist...

Is it too much for a teen? I myself am not a fan of the spookies, my kid is 13 going on 72...cranky. The lot of them want to see it,but going with an adult is so uncool. They want to be dropped off to see it. Is it pg 13 or R?
I don't like to let them go alone to a regular movie but a scary one?! This teenage stuff is crap!

I didn't realize it was a stephen king thing.. I can tolerate some of his stuff.
mommasturn

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:15 am

mommasturn wrote:
mr h atom wrote:heard the story (on 'blood & smoke' : king narrates all the stories, kinda cool...)...then read the story...now, my 14 yr old dragged me to see it...(go ahead, kid, twist my arm !)

Is it too much for a teen? I myself am not a fan of the spookies, my kid is 13 going on 72...cranky. The lot of them want to see it,but going with an adult is so uncool. They want to be dropped off to see it. Is it pg 13 or R?
I don't like to let them go alone to a regular movie but a scary one?! This teenage stuff is crap!

I didn't realize it was a stephen king thing.. I can tolerate some of his stuff.

Well that's what's so good about this film....it's the suspense that scared the crap out of me.

Not knowing what is coming is always more frightning than blood and guts....which is something I don't remember seeing in this film.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:21 pm

actually prefer my horror w/o the blood and guts, GIG...simply put, for me...it could NOT reatin the suspense..it just drifted about in the last third, with absolutely nothing new to say....how many times xcan a guy hallucinate ( or not ) and have it be...scary...?

i took my 14 yr old...she loved it, yet, an avid reader, she, too, thought it was a bit repetative at the end...
mr h atom

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Yes I'll not deny that it was repetative toward the end. However, the first half of the film scared the bejesus out of me. There was just so much damn suspence. Nothing even had to happen and I was scared and that my good lad is great direction!

Alfred Hitchcock would have been proud.
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:14 am

hitch...?!?!?

NOT !!

sorry, GIG...but you lost me on that one...
in NO way can i see that...Hitch had much more class than '1408' and it's director...
now, for my $, a better comparison would be more like freddie francis or even mario bava...
if you want to see a Hitchcock-like film...see 'disturbia'...minor, but good...
mr h atom

Next

Return to Movies & TV