Talk-show host Tom Snyder dies at 71

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:42 pm

By Peter Johnson, USA TODAY

Monday, July 30, 2007

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-07-30-snyder-obit_N.htm?csp=34

Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder's smoky voice, thanks to his omnipresent cigarette, was as legendary as his robust, infectious laugh.

The casual way he sat on the set of his late-night interview show on NBC beginning in 1972 and later on CBS was so distinctive that Dan Ackroyd lampooned him in the early days of Saturday Night Live.

Snyder, 71, died Sunday in San Francisco from complications associated with leukemia.

He'll be remembered "as one of the guys who stood out before the era of homogeneous TV anchors who looked the same, acted the same and had the same funny hair," said Tom Rosenstiel of the Project For Excellence in Journalism.

Snyder excelled at one-on-one interviews, Rosenstiel said, easily traversing the line between serious interviews and the so-called "infotainment" chats that are popular today. "He excelled at them both and elicited interesting things from people because he was genuine."

Snyder announced on his website in 2005 that he had chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

"When I was a kid leukemia was a death sentence," he wrote then. "Now, my doctors say it's treatable!"

Snyder's career began in Milwaukee in the 1960s as a radio reporter. He then moved into local television news and anchored newscasts in Philadelphia and Los Angeles before moving to late night in 1972.

Among his guests on NBC's The Tomorrow Show, which followed The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, were JOHN LENNON, Charles Manson and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols.

After a stint on CNBC, Snyder returned to late night TV in 1994, hosting The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder on CBS, which followed David Letterman's Late Show.

At the time, he told USA TODAY, he was thrilled to get back into late night TV. "Sometimes I think the alarm clock will go off and this will have been a very, very pleasant dream."

That gig ended in 1998, when Snyder was replaced by Craig Kilborn.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Talk-show host Tom Snyder dies at 71

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:11 pm

Tom was a great interviewer...I was sad the first time he went off that air, and again years later when he was after Letterman. I remember like it was yesterday, that Lennon interview...I think JL liked Tom Snyder a lot, because he didn't ask the usual questions(well, not all of them anyway). Rest easy Tom. :salute
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:46 pm

he will be missed. he was an old fashioned interviewer who (occasionally) askled the tough question. but he did it with a sense of humor. and a willingness to have a laugh if it was appropriate. and he then replaced with craig kilbourn. gives you an idea of the direction of modern talk shows.

bye tom
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:50 am

wow...this is such great sadness...tom was the first late night show i ever stayed up for, and he spoiled me...
the only thing to even come remotely close (and its a far sort of remoteness...) is charlie rose...

and to be replaced by the likes of....KILBORN !?!?...aaaarrrggghhh !!..

i betcha he's trying right now to get that first interview with god...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:04 pm

Actually, it's a bit unfair to compare Snyder with Kilborn....that was a whole different type of show. I though Kilborn was kind of funny, in a frat boy sort of way. Now, Craig Ferguson has the best monologue in late night...that guys a hoot.
Snyder interviewed people as if he was actually interested...and maybe he was. I really enjoyed his interviews with Bonnie Hunt...they were always great. :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EiSEbyhAR0k
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:44 pm

Being a Brit I don't know much about the guy but I do have the interview with John from 1975 which was excellent and possibly Lennons last ever TV interview (I think!!!)
Anyway I remember the interview as being quite humorous in spite of some serious topics of conversation taking place!!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Actually, it's a bit unfair to compare Snyder with Kilborn....that was a whole different type of show. I though Kilborn was kind of funny, in a frat boy sort of way. Now, Craig Ferguson has the best monologue in late night...that guys a hoot.
Snyder interviewed people as if he was actually interested...and maybe he was. I really enjoyed his interviews with Bonnie Hunt...they were always great. :lol:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EiSEbyhAR0k

i always loved bonnie hunt. she grew up in my neighborhood, in chicago. she was sort of a legend around here. and, by the way...schwiiiing!!!
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:32 am

my comment is not to compare...i actually liked kilborns show ( and, yes, fergusons monologues are just about the best around ) .....it's just that it was NOT tom...it was so far removed from what had been the late late show
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:53 pm

and, by the way...schwiiiing!!!

Oh, jeez, no kidding. I hear she's single again. Put in the good word for me will ya chris? :lol:

i betcha he's trying right now to get that first interview with god...

Ha! :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Movies & TV