Biography?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Biography?

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:07 am

I am looking for a biography of Lennon, but can't find the right sort of thing in the shops. What's the best biography out there, people? I have heard, on here, that there's a Lennon equivalent to Paul's Many Years From Now - what's that called?
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Biography?

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:07 am

I am looking for a biography of Lennon, but can't find the right sort of thing in the shops. What's the best biography out there, people? I have heard, on here, that there's a Lennon equivalent to Paul's Many Years From Now - what's that called?
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:06 pm

Liam - I think that I commented about that few months ago... The book is "The Ballad Of J&Y" released by Rolling Stone magazine's editors in 1982.
There you'll find John's interviews with himself statements and I'm pretty sure that you'll like it. I don't know if that's in print now... you'll have to hunt that on the book stores.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:11 am

I'm not sure if you'll like reading "The Lives of John Lennon" written by Albert Goldman who by the way wrote also a book about Elvis. Yoko sued Goldman for this book. You may now have an idea why. She was not portrayed the way she wanted it to be in this book. If you're looking for a book that puts John in a pedestal, then don't read this book because many of his dark sides were revealed here. I read the book about 20 times and am still fascinated by it. It's your choice.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:10 am

Sadly, TBOJ&Y is not on the list I have from the bookhop [:(]
Liam OSM

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:12 am

BUT - "The Lives of JL" IS listed! I may see about ordering that. I don't want something that just puts him on a pedestal, but it's not for myself anyway - it's for my friend, who turns 21 on October 9th!
Liam OSM

Postby dsnito » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:00 pm

Well... That book - The Lives of JL - doesn't put him on a pedestal but almost end up to DESTROYING his image. Though I didn't read that book, I heard something about that, and what I could know is that there are many things that shows the most awful(supposely)aspects of John's personality. I really don't know if many things on that are the truth, maybe there are some, but I suspect that has also many overstated and invented stories. I ever suspect non-authorized biographies.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:14 pm

Liam - If you intend to give that book to your friend , maybe he'll be one more that will reckon Lennon as a sick and a freaky guy as many young people nowadays that read such biography. In the other hand, I can figure out the people's curiosity of a dark side of a celebrity. But I don't think John deserves such reputation, and I do prefer to keep considering him just as a great and brilliant singer/songwriter and musician of all the times.
I even would not like to read that book.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:52 pm

But look, it's MY opinion, I don't have any intention to criticize anyone that wants to read such kind of books, everyone is free to read(or not) ANY kind of book.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mr. kite » Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:03 pm

I see your point, nito. I'm very familiar with the book and I'm sure that if Liam's friend has no solid understanding of John's life, he may end up having a wrong impression of the guy. It's not a safe book for a starting Beatles fan. The only reason why I'm not affected by what were written on the book was that I was a big fan of the Beatles way before I got to read this book. So, Liam, it's still your choice.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to JOHN