Paul's early black soulful sound

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Paul's early black soulful sound

Postby DeRick » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:16 pm

I was just watching the first "History of Rock & Roll" episode, it talked about Sam Phillip's Sun Records, and how Elvis was the 1st white boy with black sound. It made me think of early Beatles' stuff, i realized Paul was the only Beatle that hid his accent when he sang those early songs, in fact, he even sounded "black" on alot of them: "I Saw Her Standing There", "Can't Buy Me Love", "Kansas City", "She's a Woman", "I'm Down", etc
And then i listened to a couple of solo songs "That Would Be Something" and "Name & Address", and it seems he had that "Sun" quality to his voice. He could've made it big if he started at Sun. Ive heard thats why John wanted him in the Quarrymen.
Last edited by DeRick on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeRick

Postby Harrythebannister » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:33 pm

Paul was heavily influenced by Little Richard which showed on many of those early Beatles records particularly Kansas City, I'm Down & She's A Woman!
I always thought Macca has remarkable ability to just change his voice depending on what style he happens to be singing in!!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Paul's early black soulful sound

Postby Crisstti » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:10 am

No doubt. Paul was the only beatle who could sing like that.
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Re: Paul's early black soulful sound

Postby DeRick » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:01 am

I always liked his "redneck hillbilly" voice at the beginning of "Rocky Raccoon", he actually sounds like he's "one of our boys" down here in Texas, Arkansas, Alabama, etc.
DeRick

Return to Paul as a Beatle