Favorite Music Magazine

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

Postby jules » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:58 pm

Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but the answer is: Revolution in the Head: The Beatles records and the Sixties by the late Ian McDonald.
jules

Postby michaelk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:19 pm

I liked NME before it changed it's name to 'Smash Hits' (or, rather, forgot to) but if I was in the airport and wanted a read, then I guess you can always rely on Mojo or Q or Uncut for that (plus they do seem to have a lot of Beatles-related stuff and covers in any given year I can recall!)

Whenever I look in RS, I can never find anything but adverts and can't remember ever buying it. It's format is a little like the Irish 'Hot Press' mixing music and current affairs which I don't find an attractive combo.
michaelk
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby michaelk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:23 pm

Must say this is a very fine book although Paul's opinion of it isn't favourable. In his view, the writing and approach may be all very well and good but he has the disadvantage of not being able to believe McDonald's speculation or received reports about what inspired him to write various songs.

But as somebody said about it, it's a fine piece of (pseudo) scholarship and certainly everytime I dip into it (it's often the bathroom book in my place), I always find something that makes me get recording.

jules wrote:Sorry I've taken so long to reply, but the answer is: Revolution in the Head: The Beatles records and the Sixties by the late Ian McDonald.
michaelk
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Harrythebannister » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:25 pm

The only time I read music magazines is in the waiting room at the barbers!
Oddly enough I had my locks cut just yesterday and was reading of all music magazines "Uncut".
How weird is that!!??
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Books, magazines, etc.