Roger Federer the best tennisplayer ever??

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Paperback Writer » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:37 pm

What A Match!

The king in waiting, almost there.
Most exciting - that in Nedal - there's a good bet that the rivalry will raise his tennis and tennis in general. :cheers
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:44 am

Paperback Writer wrote:What A Match!

The king in waiting, almost there.
Most exciting - that in Nedal - there's a good bet that the rivalry will raise his tennis and tennis in general. :cheers

Yeah, they are both pretty remarkable....the sad thing is that I can't stand either one of them.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby michaelk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:31 pm

I agree that Federer is the latest Borg and therefore the greatest. Somehow, I missed Sampras completely during my non-tennis years. I seriously haven't even seen a picture of him but I was a big McEnroe and Connors fan back in the day.
Federer is not quite the Ice Borg as yesterday's final showed and although that was cool, I have been now totally converted to Nadal who is the hottest mofo on Tennis Earth right now. If it hadn't been for that knee-pull I think he would have beaten Federer yesterday. Having said that It was very cool to see Fed and Borg together in front of the winners' board.

Congrats, Roger...you the man.
michaelk
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:36 pm

How could you miss Sampras?? Federer as good as he is isn't as good as Sampras yet! He still needs a few more Wimbledon titles to equal him.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby michaelk » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:57 pm

I've often asked myself the same question. I just never watched Wimbledon for years mainly because I didn't watch much TV at all. I started watching again when Sharipova came along and McEnroe's auto-biography came out and just keep hearing the name but, like I say, I still, right now, don't know what the guy looks like. Gonna check him out on Wikipedia just now...

(later) Just did and was expecting to say 'Oh yeah...HIM' but he just looks completely unfamiliar. His website is cool so hopefully there's some clips there
michaelk
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:50 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:How could you miss Sampras?? Federer as good as he is isn't as good as Sampras yet! He still needs a few more Wimbledon titles to equal him.

I disagree, Federer is better than Pete.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Roger Federer the best tennisplayer ever??

Postby bobrocks » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:28 am

I just found this thread.

I've been watching Tennis for 30 years, and Federer is the first player to remind me of Borg, who was the player that made me fall in love with the sport.
Federer plays the game like a ballet.
He's got the greatest shot selection of anyone I've ever seen. With his victory this past weekend at the US Open, he now has 12 Grand Slam championships, and seems destined to pass Samprass' record of 14.
He's so good on all the surfaces, it just illustrates how good Nadal is on clay (maybe the best ever). If it wasn't for him, Federer might have already broken Samprass' record.
And I don't buy this argument that today's competition is weak. There is lots of talented players around. But so few of them have won any Grand Slams, cause Fed is winning them all.
bobrocks

Postby Bluebird » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:16 pm

He is definately the best tennis player ever. When Pete Sampras had a good day he could be able to beat Roger in wimbledon but i can´t see anyone else who is able to do that. Maybe Nadal sometime.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Mini » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:56 am

To prove how good Sampras was Roger still has to win two more Wimbledon's to equal his record at Wimbledon and then one more to break his record. If he does then he can be called the best ever.

Sampras had the best serve I've ever seen. Whenever he broke his string and grabbed a new racquet he would always server an ace even on a second serve. He was a freak !!
Mini

Postby linclink » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:02 am

It's just impossible to compare eras for some many reasons...that said...I think Federer is certainly right up there...and yeah you've probably got to put at least Sampras & Agassi up there too, but for me I came to Tennis during that classic Borg-McEnroe-Connors era, and of those guys I think Borg was the best, and he is still my favorite player ever...and probably always will be. The competition back then outside of the big three was pretty incredible extending out to the top 10 actually...Ashe, Nastase, etc.. Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

PreviousNext

Return to Sports & Recreation