stephen king's dark tower...a movie?

Paperback Writer

Moderator: Mike

stephen king's dark tower...a movie?

Postby chris » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:54 pm

i read in a recent entertainment weekly article that stephen king has sold the movie rights to his epic seven volume masterpiece, the dark tower. i realize how much i'm coming off as a complete dork here (or geek, if proper nomenclature is mandatory) but this is potentially wondeful news. as an avid reader of nearly everything. i love stephen king. and no story has ever gripped me the way this one did (maybe tolkien's LOTR) i can't be the only one here who has read it, right?

can it be done? would it suck? would it be seven movies or more condenced? who would play roland? (i can only see clint eastwood doing it) thoughts? anyone...?

i am a dork now, aren't i?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:46 am

This lunatic has already ruined my life once with his "Pet Semetary" (here, I'm already trembling again...). I'd better keep away from anything else of his. If anything, I'm the dork :? ...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:01 am

the word i've heard, big c, is that jj abrams and the guys behind 'lost' are in on this.....also, that is only in the 'let's talk' stage...

but...we can dream...can't we
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:00 pm

mr h atom wrote:but...we can dream...can't we

have to admit, my friend, i was under the assumption i was the only one to read this novel. what? ...like people don't have time to read a 3000 page story anymore? :wink:
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: stephen king's dark tower...a movie?

Postby mr h atom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:00 am

i think, chris, the tower will arrive...
me, i'm hoping for a grandiose, HBO style mini...er...maxi series...

meanwhile....have you checked out the new comic series ?...it's pretty fab....

the first, tangential DT movie IS headed our way, though...this fall....

anyone who does not understand that 'the mist' IS a DT-related piece...is missing a very small piece of a very large puzzle....those things in the mist...those things are from underneath castle discordia...from the todash between lands...they come through rips in the the thinnies...
mr h atom

Postby chris » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:59 pm

for those of you who occasionally flip the pages...this is potentially fabulous news. i am a long time fan of SK. and while i think he has done many great things...the 7 volume dark tower is what he will most be known for, as far as i'm concerned. i would love for this to happn. but it has to be done right.

Dark Tower Movies
your path to the dark towerHomeBooksContactThe Dark Tower Adaptation is Confirmed
posted by mike on September 9th, 2010
That’s right, Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have finally closed the deal with Ron Howard to tell the story of Stephen King’s, The Dark Tower, putting to rest all previous rumors. The adaptation is going to be filmed in a completely unique way by utilizing both feature length movies and a network TV series.

We’ve had many comments on other posts, with some people in favour of a TV series and some for the films. It seems everyone would have preferred 7 (or more) high budget films to tell Roland’s tale, but what Ron Howard said on this decision has made me think that perhaps this Film/TV approach would actually work better;

“…it’s driven by the material. I love both, and like what’s going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there’s the horrible risk of cheating material….if you committed only to films, you’d deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television.”
If Howard manages to give us jaw-dropping and compelling television, then I’m all for him trying this new approach to get to the screen what many people agree to be Stephen King’s greatest work.
There is of course a financial aspect behind this decision and Howard has indicated that “from a business standpoint” it would have been difficult to get the funding for a film only adaptation.

Preliminary Outline for the Films/TV Series
This is not going to be a direct book-to-screen adaptation and is even going to involve King writing additional content, in the form of a prequel comic book.

Howard and co. are still hashing out the details but the initial plan seems to be;

1.Feature Length Film #1
2.TV Season (used as a bridge to…)
3.Feature Length Film #2
4.TV Season(s) (it’s unclear how many)
5.Feature Length Film #3 (Roland reaches the Dark Tower)
Not a lot has been said about the TV series, which would be shown between the second and third movies, other than that the story in Season 2 will evolve around Roland as a young Gunslinger, with King’s prequel comic book series being released to fill out the storyline.

The dedication the cast will need to make for this project would predict that we’ll not see any superstars, which will probably be for the better as we’ll have fewer preconceptions over who they choose to play Roland.

One final piece of good news is that Howard has given priority to the project. Akiva Goldsman is writing the script as we speak and both Howard and Grazer have cleared all other projects to make sure they can get started on this as soon as possible.

Howard is currently in production on “The Dilemna”, due for release in January, so we could expect filming on The Dark Tower to begin as early as 2011.

So there you have it fans, we’re finally getting our wish.

We’d love to hear your own thoughts on this unique approach Ron Howard is taking in telling the story of Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger, and his quest for the Dark Tower.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Just for you Chris...

Can't say I am looking forward to this as I have never been a fan of King's. Although I have enjoyed is dramatic works. Tried reading The Stand once and laughed my butt off for the first 100 pages or so before I realized this was suppose to be a "horror" novel and not a satire. Also wouldn't say I enjoyed Tolkien either. Love the movies but thought the books were drab. But to each his/her own.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:33 am

so..back in the glory days, when jj abrams was looking at this for a netlet,or a cable net, i thought "hmmm...could be...maybe....'

but...ron howard ?!?!!! :-?? i cannot say i'm overwhelmed...

written by....akiva goldsman..?!!?! ~X( now, i'm really nervous..

nbc-universal...???!!?

might be they can overcome their predilections...but, i wouldn't hold my breath..

and, i don't care what anyone says, in this day and age, asking an audience to sit though a movie, then watch a whole tv series on regular network tv.....then see a movie........then go back and watch another whole series...only to finish off, supposedly, with another movie seems an awful lot like fairytales and funny mushroom pizzas if you ask me

since it's being handed to NBC/universal...let's see what they do with 'the event' : see if the network has the cajones to do that one right, before i get excited...
mr h atom

Postby chris » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

i think i agree, big h. with today's limited attention span i'm not sure the average viewer will sit through a whole 3 hour movie (fanboys excluded :oops: ), let alone movie, tv series. movie...

i was hoping this would happen for a long time. now that it is...i feel like they can only screw it up instead of doing it justice. a way to do it...and do it in full...and do it right by the fans...was a graphic novel. which marvel comics has already begun. i do love my comic books.

and bono, thanks for the post. mr king is not for everyone. and probably the DT series is for fewer still. but it (this story) is most metaphorical. and metaphors always seem smarter somehow when you don't have to have someone explain it to you. and i just happened to get this one. chalk it it up to chance, mayhap. but it may have been my favorite ending to a book/series. and this bad boy was one serious commitment.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 pm

nbc-dot-com is, purportedly, already listing it as a new, upcoming series, with a very king-like blurb and everything...might even begin as soon as fall 2011...???!!?
mr h atom

Next

Return to Books, magazines, etc.