Paul's behavior got John mad

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dcbeatle64 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:14 pm

I've noticed as I have read more and more about the Beatles and interviews over the years especially from interviews Paul and John did in the 70's that they couldnt stop talking about eachother.
John especially although he said some harsh things he always seemed to talk about Paul.The interviewer could move off the subject from Paul and then John would suddenly bring him back up again.

I think in general and from personal experience you are more likly to lash out towards the ones you love,you dont mean to hurt them but it kind of just happens. As far as I can tell Paul tried really hard to work it out with John and see him and talk to him but we always hear that Yoko was preventing this from happening.

And I mean even Yoko said to Paul that John was very fond of him.

All this stuff about John saying that Paul was the only one to really hurt him shows how much he did love him because i think you can only be generally hurt by someone you love,although its likely Paul never realised that John would be so badly effected by it.

Shame certain events in the past weren't different
dcbeatle64

Postby Beatle Lou » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:18 am

Yeah, I think it was Andy Peebles who did John's last interview said something like he mentioned Paul at least 10 times an hour during his interviews at the least!!! It's a shame they never got together again, it would have been great.
Beatle Lou

Paul and John

Postby oldbeatlechick » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:46 am

Beatle Lou wrote:There is no denying how much John and Paul loved each other, even through the bitterness it is clear. George would always say that he was closest to John after the acid trip but to me that may have been one sided. Both men secretly followed the others solo career and sucesses. Paul was always more truthful about John whereas John would always double talk. During his last interview with PLAYBOY in 1980, John stated thst the last gasp from Macca was "The Long And Winding Road" A few questions afterward he went on to call Paul's latest single, "Coming Up" a "damn good piece of work". Prior to his death, Harry Nillson once stated that a girl told him that John was wearing an old Beatle button that said "I Love Paul" and the girl asked him why are you wearing that button??? "Because I love Paul" was John's reply. It's really as simple as that, even during the Mike Douglas show in 1972, John stated that Paul was "his best male friend" even though they haven't seen each other in awhile but they still spoke on the phone. The one major factor in keeping John and Paul apart was always Yoko Ono and her resentment towards the brother who John loved more than anyone else aside from her, she couldn't handle John's bond with Paul. She tried to break it and couldn't, heck she still tries 26 years after John's death. Bottom line behind hte insecurites and BS the guys loved each other.

I agree with you Beatle Lou Paul and John grew together as brothers and certainly carried a lot of love for each other, and when writing together even excluded George and Ringo. As with brothers there are always disagreements and jealousies, I think it just shows how close they were. I feel Yoko is a control freak and wanted John to be with her excluding all others. Having read Julia Baird's (John's half sister) latest book I feel sure John was in the process of building bridges and would have been open to playing with the three of them again, it's so sad that he didn't live to achieve this. I'm sure Paul still misses him dreadfully.
:(
Love is All You Need
oldbeatlechick

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 am

Personally, I think the only way John would have done anything professionally with Paul and the rest of the group would have been if he and Yoko were no longer together. Yoko woukd never had stood for it
and John was definitely controlled by her. Working singularly with either George or Ringo was not threatening to her....but Paul and the group intact would have been very threatening to her.
maccamania102

Re: Paul's behavior got John mad

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:54 am

Chris Speers wrote:The one move that Paul was guilty of that had a huge impact on John from what i read is the time he bought more of the Northern song stock behind John's back. When John found out about it, he really went off on Paul. I never understood why that mean so much to John but apparently this meant a lot since Yoko said many years later that John was hurt by Paul more than any other person in the world or something like that. I don't know Lennon went off on that since he had insecure things on his agenda by then anyway. But, John felt betrayed by this and later said "Paul tried to ruin my songs subsconsciously"....It's unreal how nasty things got between the two. While i think John is largely to blame, Paul always make it seem like he was an innocent victim and i don't think that was true.

Many years later Paul did admit that he saw John's side to it and saw how it was perceived as underhanded, and did later equalize everything.
maccamania102

Postby maccamania102 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:56 am

esto wrote:Couple of days ago I saw movie called Linda McCartney Story and in it was a scene where Lennon tosses a stone into the Paul's door window. It happened after Paul sued other three. I don't think it really happened, as all the movie was a bit overdramatized.

The incident did happen and it wasn't fiction.
maccamania102

Postby Mini » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 am

In John's own words from that 1980 Playboy interview he categorically states that he is not being controlled by Yoko and that Yoko did not break up the Beatles.

The one thing that prevented them from getting back together was business differences. There is a quote from Paul where he says that when he called John he knew not to talk about Apple as that would trigger him. It was all about money. John openly dismisses some of his songs like And Your Bird Can Sing as horrors, some were badly recorded, Paul's subconscious sabotage etc.. to me that's not jealousy or insecurity, he's just in a mood to bag some of his songs, blame some on Paul, some on George Martin and some on himself. Was he really being candid ? We will never know but I do think he heaped alot of praise on Paul so he still loved the guy.

The one bad Yoko incident I heard was when Paul tried to call John during DF and Yoko picked up the phone in the studio but didn't pass on the message to John. Apparently, they were going to get together for Ringo's album to record a song or two.
Mini

Postby Crisstti » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Mini wrote:The one bad Yoko incident I heard was when Paul tried to call John during DF and Yoko picked up the phone in the studio but didn't pass on the message to John. Apparently, they were going to get together for Ringo's album to record a song or two.

Really?, do you have a source?. I had read once something similar, in some website.

I don't really know what to think of Yoko. Sometimes I think that maybe all the bad things that are said about her are true, and sometimes I think that maybe all are lies and that she isn't bad at all. I don't know. I mean, most of it it hearsay.

There is one thing, though, that is a fact, and that makes it clear to me that she had some kind of influence in John that made him be bitter about Paul, and is that John, if one reads his interviews, was very bitter towards him in the 1970 - 1971 (or 1972) period. In the 1973 - 1975 period, he talks very nicely and fondly about him and about The Beatles and even (I guess everyone here has seen that interview) said, when asked if The Beatles were going to get back together, that it was "very probable". I mean, not even "possible" or "probable", but "very". So, one could think that before he was bitter because of the bussiness problems and that his change and his separation from Yoko were a coincidence. But, then in the 1980 interview, he is again quite bitter. We don't have any interviews from 1976 - 1979. I know that if one compares the 1970 - 1971 interviews with the 1980 interviews, he seems far more relaxed and all, but if one compares his mid-70's interviews with the ones of 1980, it's clear that hi is more bitter, particularly about Paul, and with second thoughts and paranoia. He even said, about Paul suppousedly trying to ruin his songs, that there was a period when he thought he was being paranoid (the mid-70's?) but that it wasn't paranoia.
So, when he's with Yoko he is bitter about Paul, and when he isn't, he is fine with him. Coincidence?.
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Postby maccamania102 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:51 am

I truly believe that John would have had a happier life without Yoko. Her control over him surpressed him. The only time he wasn't publicly bitter regarding the Beatles or Paul, was his lost weekend.

This is not a religious discussion and I have no intentions of starting one. However, I came across this article recently that proved to me, without a doubt, Yoko steered John away from anything that threatened her control over him.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/200 ... -22.0.html
maccamania102

Re:

Postby beat1273 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:20 am

maccamania102 wrote:Personally, I think the only way John would have done anything professionally with Paul and the rest of the group would have been if he and Yoko were no longer together. Yoko woukd never had stood for it
and John was definitely controlled by her. Working singularly with either George or Ringo was not threatening to her....but Paul and the group intact would have been very threatening to her.

I actually saw an interview with May Pang once and she had stated that Paul (and his family) and the other Beatles would visit John and May at their home in CA during the "Lost Weekend" and there was even talk of a reunion among them at that time. Then, Yoko showed up to claim John back and that was the end of that.
beat1273

PreviousNext

Return to Paul as a Beatle